5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Nikki Heat adventures yet
Published 14 months ago by Tim

3.0 out of 5 stars Same characters, different author?
I really loved the Heat series, until now. No, I'm not saying that all of a sudden I've stopped enjoying the books; I'm only saying that Deadly Heat is so predictable that it just makes no sense.

Published 13 months ago by Lakis Fourouklas

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Nikki Heat adventures yet, 8 Sep 2013
For the uninitiated; the Nikki Heat series is a series of companion novels to the U.S TV series 'Castle' written by "Richard Castle" (the main character of the show, who is writing a series of books based on the exploits of Detective Kate Beckett). The books are, basically, like props from the show. Like the previous instalments in the Nikki Heat series, 'Deadly Heat' follows NYPD detective Nikki Heat and her partner/lover Jameson Rook. This time, we see them continuing the hunt for the man responsible for the murder of Heat's mother years before, while simultaneously pursuing a serial killer who marks out Heat as his next target. This book, like the previous four in the set, basically plays out like an episode of 'Castle' and reading the book you can see those characters in your mind(Heat=Beckett, Rook=Castle etc...) This book, like the others, does not take itself too seriously and that makes it an enjoyable read; the characters are engaging and fun, without being too cliché and the plot moves along at a steady rate and throws the occasional twist at you (some I saw coming, others I did not) I loved this book simply because it is fun and easy to read, you can just switch off and enjoy it without having to think too much and sometimes I want that.
It isn't perfect though (yes, just because I loved it doesn't mean I am blind to its faults). In this case: where this book does suffer, in my opinion, is that it does rely on having read the previous book- 'Frozen Heat'. The first four novels, you could pretty much just pick up any of them and read them without having to have read any others, each one of them gave you enough back story that you could relate to the characters and understand what was happening. With this one, however, there is much more emphasis on events that occurred in the previous book and in a way it kind of becomes 'Frozen Heat-Part II). Having read that book it doesn't cause me a problem, but I'm not sure if it would be as enjoyable to someone who has not read the previous instalment.
Despite that, I would rate this as one the best of the Nikki Heat books. I will accept that this style of book isn't going to be everyone's liking, but it does make perfect reading if you in the mood for some silly harmless fun that you can lose yourself in; it would make excellent holiday reading, for example. I thoroughly enjoyed 'Deadly Heat' and would recommend this to anyone (assuming they'd read the last one; if not I would say read it AFTER you read 'Frozen Heat')

3.0 out of 5 stars Same characters, different author?, 3 Oct 2013

It was the suspense and the mystery that kept the pages turning in the previous novels, and these two elements seem to have gone missing from the latest installment. What's not missing is the humor, but is that enough to keep the reader going?

My first thought, as I finished reading, was that in here we have the same heroes, more or less the same storyline, but a different author, one that's somehow clumsy, as they give away too many clues about most of the villains, and as a result, the expected reading pleasure is nowhere to be found - perhaps Heat can look for it.

When the readers embark on a journey with the words of an author as a vehicle, they expect to be thrilled, or feel simply excited, to get to know inside out the souls of the characters, good or bad, to seek and find all the hidden clues that may or may not lead them to solving the various riddles. Well, that doesn't exactly happen here, and that's a shame.

I don't want to give away any clues because that could ruin the fun for some people but, I will say though, that if the answers are going to be so obvious in almost every single question, then one shouldn't even bother posing any questions at all.

But of course, not all is black. I've already said the humor is quite good and the interactions between Rook and Heat are great too; their chemistry is pretty much alive. They could do with a breath of fresh air though, something that will turn the spark into a flame again. As for the action, that's good too, but it seems to me as though the first couple of episodes of the Castle TV Series would emerge as the big winners in a possible Mexican standoff.

I give the book three stars out of five, because no matter how hard I try I can't say that it's a bad book; it's just bad if compared to the its predecessors. I hope the next one will be better and thus able to restore my faith in the power of team `Heat and Rook' to impress.

5.0 out of 5 stars These books keep getting better!, 20 Nov 2013
I could be extremely biased in giving this book 5*'s purely because I love Castle!!

This is the fifth Nikki Heat novel which ties in to the TV show Castle and follows on from where Frozen Heat ended with Nikki still trying to find the people behind her mother's murder - something which ties in to Beckett's story on the show. Nikki ends up juggling 2 cases, still investigating her mother's case along with a new serial killer that ends up targeting her. This case also bears a resemblance to a case that Beckett and Castle investigated in Season 2 - the 2 part one which had Dana Delany as an FBI agent - where someone targeted Beckett referring her to as Nikki Heat and trying to outsmart her.

There are so many nods to the TV show and to Nathan's time on Firefly. Even going so far as to say that that Nathan fellow would be great to play Jameson Rook in a Hollywood adaptation of his articles about Nikki Heat. Also having two detectives called Malcolm & Reynolds. Plus there are characters in the book using the same names as characters from the show.

Although this series does stand alone as a good read with great storytelling I know that I enjoy them more simply because of my love for the show.

I'd love to know who the actual author is - unless Nathan Fillion has been working hard behind the scenes and has gone method in writing these books!!

Another great Nikki Heat book - they just keep getting better with each one.

4.0 out of 5 stars By far the best if the Richard Castle books, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat 5) (Paperback)
By far the best of the Richard Castle books. Having read all of the Nikki Heat series and being a big fan of the TV show I have found at times the storylines of the Heat novels to have too much déjà vu, as if you are just watching an old episode of Castle slightly re-written. Deadly Heat stands away from its predecessors as a solid crime novel with a more original and gripping storyline.

You would benefit from having read Frozen Heat before this as this is the continuation of that story. Fans of Nathan Fillion's previous TV series Firefly will enjoy the side references though I found the addition of the characters Detectives Malcolm and Reynolds do make it harder to take the book seriously.

2.0 out of 5 stars I have read all the Heat series with great enjoyment - until Deadly Heat, 21 Aug 2014
I have read all the Heat series with great enjoyment - until Deadly Heat. In this many of the best elements are missing and I believe it's been penned by a different author to the others. The previous books are pacy and entertaining with the dialogue between Heat and Rook witty and amusing. Not in this one. The characters are rather one dimensional, the narrative is dense, flat, and the dialogue between the two main characters is unimaginative. Plus the whole thing seems bleak. Whoever wrote this does not have the flair of the previous authors and I'm struggling to finish it. If I hadn't paid for it I'd give up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Caz0236, 24 Nov 2014
Great story once again in the next episode of Jameson Rook and Nikki Heat. Her pursuit to unravel the mystery of her Mothers death and her aim to being justice to New York as an honest cop. Love the banter and relationship that develops between Jameson and Nikki. Very insightful. Lots of attention to detail in the story plus a development of some of the other characters. Many twists and turns as the story develops with a fast action pace. A highly recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this collection of books and have really enjoyed reading ..., 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat 5) (Paperback)
I like this collection of books and have really enjoyed reading them looking forward to the next one, I especially like the fact that you can recognise the characters from the show within the characters in the book. However you don't need to have seen the show to enjoy the book it just adds another level to the enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
great story... but then I'm biaised. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A different Castle, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat 5) (Paperback)
Great holiday read. Much better than I expected. Really good plot. Couldn't put it down. Now waiting for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fun book in the Heat series, 26 Jun 2014
Althouhg they will never be classics, I thoroughly enjoy the crossover with the tv series, they are brilliant books to take on holiday and look forward to each installment

Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat 5)
Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat 5) by Richard Castle (Paperback - 25 April 2014)