Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 March 2013
After reading The Clone Republic; Clone Rebellion (book 1), I instantly began reading this, the second book in the series. I could not wait to find out what happened to Harris and become immersed in Kent's sci-fi world once more. With the last book taking just under two weeks to read, I can say that I read this one in a week flat. That is a sure sign of a good book.

Events surrounding the protagonist have begun to shift. The build up to war consequently changes the world as Harris knows it. In this book, the deck of cards really does come crashing down. War is set to break out, political squabble and deception leads to secrets being uncovered, moves being made, and ultimately battles ensue that end with entirely unexpected outcomes.

Throughout the story the protagonist Harris has to deal with the confrontation at every turn. Not just during the battles of worlds, but also on a personal basis. Society's views him as a danger, an outlawed clone model, unpredictable and violent by nature, and he in turn battles inwardly with this very same problem, this genetic conditioning and addiction to battle.

There is a lot to this book that will move the series forward in interesting ways. Kent's writing is once again an exacting flurry of well written events driven by the relationships between the increasingly developed visceral main characters, the personal motivation of the supporting characters, the tactical scenarios that occur during battles, and lastly the important neo-politics that underpins and ultimately help ties it all together.

As mentioned by Kent at the back of the book, this second book does weave into its story at points early on, reiterated information from book one. This means that anyone can enter the series at book two. However as a reader of the series from the beginning, I found this a clumsy decision in regard to current fans and would have much preferred a prologue in its place. I think if you are going to start something, start at the beginning, but if you wish to miss out on all the action and adventure of book one, you will be able to buy this book and emerge yourself in Steven L. Kent's world.

Enjoy the book!
Andy.
on 23 July 2013
After reading the 1st instalment I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one.

I am not really into military sci-fi, so I was surprised how quickly I got pulled into this series. Its fast paced with twists and turns.

I really am rooting for Harris,with his struggles personally and trying to find where he fits in and with his UA identy and the prejudices he faces.

The book is well written with the twists easy to follow. Some are real surprises.

I would recommend this series to anyone and everyone. Its not just a military hoo haaa tale with blood and guts but a well thought out and portrayed journey.
on 15 March 2013
If the series keeps up like this I'll be a happy man. Once again the story is mostly fast paced action and very well written. The story follows up as you would imagine from where the previous book finishes, however it does an excellent job of reminding you what's going on and why at the beginning.

If you read (as I did) the first one then this book back-to-back you may find the recapping of factions and plot slows the start of the book down a bit, however for someone who has left a bit of a gap or hasn't read the first one this can work really well and could easily act as a stand-alone novel.

I'd give this 4.5 stars, just because it took me a little longer to get into it, but once I was in I really enjoyed it. Fully recommended.

(Full disclosure: I received this free from the publisher to review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own and are not altered by this. In this case I would quite happily have paid for it!)
on 9 May 2013
The second book maintains the pace, the interest, and uncomplicated plot from the first novel. Harris is back, believing that he has become a free agent but is still being controlled by those above him. He is a clone after all!These novels attract me because they are well written, and have no ridiculous furry 3 headed inhabitants from other planets. Its Earth in the future- still colonising, still hanging onto religion, and still exploiting the less fortunate- in this case they've run out of working class and have manufactured their own cloned army.The battle scenes, military equipment, and characters are recognisable and believable. SLK will do well to keep up the momentum into the next few books; if his writing so far is anything to go by he will succeed.There is a little too much description in places and one or two one-liners that are cliched, hence the 4.99 stars.
on 28 December 2014
After reading the reviews on the book 1 i decided to take the plunge and dive into this series knowing there were 9 books, and a 10th on the way.
Book 1 was brilliant. Hardly put it down, and as soon as it was finished, i was ready to tuck into book 2 straight away. Again, it was brilliant. Fast paced and plenty of action. Harris has his flaws and although he is a good marine, he certainly has his fair share of luck. It's particularly satisfying to know that he isn't some bad ass marine that blows everyone away and can't be beaten. Some of the other characters have been built up slowly too, possibly because Steven L Kent knew there would be more novels to expand his characters and universe?
Personally, this series is fast becoming one of my favourite series of books.
Whilst the first set the tone for the series, the second book always has to hit back with something a little harder to make sure that the author makes an impact and to be honest that's exactly what this, the second book in the series has done. Great prose, wonderful descriptive and of course a break neck pace really bring this tale to the fore. Add to the mix top notch political machinations as well as combat that leaves you breathless and all round I was more than satisfied with this title.

Finally add to this an author who clearly knows where he's going alongside an arc that I really hope will be made into a game at some point and all round I was definitely in Military Sci-Fi heaven by the tales end. A great series.
on 29 November 2013
This is an excellent series of books, if you like Jack Campbells the Lost Fleet then you'll love these. The writing is excellent and it tells a good story, so far I am only half way through and I have ordered book 3 so I can start reading it as soon as I have finished this one.
on 21 March 2015
Awesome follow on from first book. Fun, full of violence and escapism. Really looking forward to the next book of the series.
on 1 May 2013
Should start by reading the first one, Republic.
The only problem is that once you start you will have to read tem all.
on 21 July 2015
Always enjoy this author works