4.0 out of 5 stars The Heat is on!
HEAT WAVE is the novel that Richard Castle wrote in the series Castle: The Complete First Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC], starring Nikki Heat, based on detective Kate Beckett. The book is very nicely presently, being entirely in character from the author photo on the back cover (of Nathan Fillion) to the dedication to the acknowledgments, although the latter...
Published on 17 Feb 2010 by Dr Evil

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining beach read
To be honest, I'd never realised there truly was a Richard Castle book called Heat Wave and if I had, I probably wouldn't have taken the trouble to pick it up. So when Wiebe found it and its sequel Naked Heat at Forbidden Planet and wanted to get them, I was a bit confused, but intrigued nonetheless and into the shopping basket they went. Castle, starring the fabulous...
Published on 6 July 2011 by W.M.M. van der Salm-Pallada

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Jan 2012
I am a great fan of the Castle series on TV which features an author, named Richard Castle, who is teamed up with a female cop, named Beckett. In the series Castle publishes three books with Nikki Heat (based on Beckett) as the main character. So when I saw that there actually were three Nikki Heat books on Amazon I had to try them. What a disappointment. The plot was reasonable, likewise the action, but the characters - oh dear, they were dire. They never came to life and seemed like puppets carrying out the motions. As Richard Castle is a fictional character I checked out the copyright which was ABC Studios and I reckon the books must have been written by a ghost writer or a script writer, but certainly not by any novelist worth his or her salt. I certainly won't be buying the other two books, although I will continue to watch the tV series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, very entertaining - especially Page 103..., 15 Oct 2011
Ms. E. J. White "Gisbournia" (England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heat Wave (Nikki Heat) (Paperback)
I greatly enjoy the Castle TV series, and so couldn't resist trying out the book - especially as I'd watched it being produced and discussed during the TV episodes. I wasn't disappointed - this reads like an extended version of Castle, and all the characters are instantly and authentically recognisable, as is the dialogue.

I had to remind myself on several occasions that this was the fiction, and the TV show was the reality... oops, actually the TV show is fiction too.. drat, it's all so plausable!

Whoever wrote the Castle books is very brave to forego the publicity in favour of the promotion/tie-in gag of having 'real' Castle books on the market. I am assuming it's really written by one of the screenwriters, so seamlessly does it echo the on-screen action and characterisation.

Although, would it have been quite the same 'smash-hit' book had it been just a stand-alone story? I;'d certainly have read it and enjoyed it, but the tie-in gives it a delicious piquancy that exerted full Rick Castle/Jamieson Rook charm over this reader!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Writer Writes...., 2 Aug 2011
This review is from: Heat Wave (Nikki Heat) (Paperback)
I'm not a huge fan of tie-in fiction. That's not to say I dislike it, just that I don't actively seek it out when it comes to my reading choices. There are always going to be exceptions to every rule and I think that the writing of one Richard Castle may just be that exception.

For those uninitiated I'll try and explain. Castle is an American television show which features a crime writer, Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion), who assists the police with their cases while shadowing them for book research. He is partnered with a feisty female detective, Kate Beckett (Stana Katic), and their relationship/chemistry is the backbone of the show. The performances are sublime and the show has been justifiably successful. Rather than create tie-fiction that is based on the characters in the show the publishers have taken the innovative approach of producing novels that are written by the lead character. Why not? He is supposed to be a world famous novelist after all. Heat Wave has been name-checked many times in various episodes and it is a fun idea. Fans of the show can now read the novels that Castle has written.

I'm going to work on the assumption that the television show is a known quantity to the reader. Working on that basis, everyone is in going to be in on the joke from page one, and as they read along there will be many knowing smiles. You will spot many references taken directly from the screen version. The success of a novel like this cannot just be judged on the quality of the writing and enjoyment of the story, you also have to factor in the authenticity. Based on what you've already learned as a viewer of the television drama does this feel the way you would expect Castle to write? Personally, I was sold. The sardonic one liners and verbal sparring that I would expect from the character(s) are all present and correct.

What is the best way to describe experience of reading Castle's work? Take everything you know about the TV characters and enhance by a factor of ten. The television version Castle has made no secret that Nikki Heat is an amped up version of his muse, Kate Beckett. Reading the novel it is also blatantly obvious that Jameson Rook is a larger than life take on Richard Castle. All the other characters from the show make an appearance and it is a real treat to read Castle's tweaked caricatures of them.

Whenever the TV show mentions the novel Heat Wave, it made quite clear that Rook and Heat have a physical relationship, which is a definite bit of wish-fulfilment on the fictional author's part. Also, the language used is a bit more adult than you would have experienced from the TV Castle. This doesn't bother me in the slightest, but the more delicate amongst you please take note.

The plot zips along at a brisk pace and there is plenty that will please readers of this solid police drama, as well as fans of the TV show. Perhaps not the most original in places, but it certainly serves the characters well and allows them all to shine. The key thing is that it all sounds and feels exactly the way I would expect it to be. Nikki Heat gets the chance to hunt down the bad guys, and Jameson Rook gets the opportunity to complicate and assist in equal measure.

I do have one minor technical criticism that niggled slightly. It could be just me but I found the text in the book quite small, certainly smaller than I expected. This did slow my pace somewhat. In fairness however, I should point out that they have remedied this in subsequent releases.

I'll be honest and admit this purchase was a bit of a no-brainer for me. Even if the novel had been terrible, which it's not, I would have bought it anyway. It's Nikki Heat for goodness sakes! Written by Richard Castle! My single technical gripe aside, there is nothing I can fault in the writing and production of this novel. The attention to detail is perfect. A sample chapter of the next novel, an interview with the author, even an author bio and acknowledgments. It is all done in flawless tongue-in-cheek fashion. It turns out that a fictional television author writing fictional novels can be a heck of a lot of fun.

As a final aside - a second novel, Naked Heat, is already available. It features a picture of the author in the dust-jacket and I have to say he does appear to be ruggedly handsome.

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the Castle fans, 6 Dec 2013
Stewart J. Brown (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I enjoy the TV series. The book was OK, and the idea of a book written by a fictitious author is interesting. But I kept seeing the TV characters playing the characters in the book and ended up with the view that I was glad I'd read it, but I wouldn't read another one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 1 Jun 2011
I Readalot (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heat Wave (Nikki Heat) (Paperback)
I have been a fan of the TV show 'Castle' since it started in the UK last year. I often wondered what the novels written by the fictional Richard Catle were like, only to discover that they actually exist. OK, I can't pretend that they are the best written crime novels but they are fun with plenty of laugh out loud moments. If you have not watched the show be prepared for 'a tongue in cheek' style novel then having read it you will want to watch the show to see where Castle gets his inspiration from, but if you want gritty realism then this is not for you. It is a very American, but anyone who has watched American cop shows will easily be able to understand the terminology and slang used. The interview with the author and the bio including the information that he won the Nom dePlum Society's prestigious Tom Straw Award for Mystery Literature only adds to the fun. James Patterson is quoted on the front, he makes occasional cameo appearances in the show as part of Castle's poker school (Michael Connelly is quoted on 'Naked Heat').

The books star Nikki Heat who has to put up with Jameson Rook, a celebrity journalist who pretty much knows everyone, following her around in order to get material for a magazine profile. This of course echoes Detective Kate Beckett being followed around by the crime writer Richard Castle looking for inspiration for a new central character

It is a clever idea and I find myself wondering who the real life inspiration for Detective Beckett is, there must be one somewhere, a female detective who was followed around by the writer of the TV show. But surely the biggest mystery is who actually writes the books. There has been a lot of speculation but as far as I am aware it is being kept a closely guarded secret, when the writer of the show was asked the question he just said Richard Castle. To be honest I don't want to know although I am sure there are clues in the books somewhere.

It is a great show and this is a fun novel, even my son, who doesn't read much is reading this one. I am now halfway through 'Naked Heat' and looking forward to the next work of fiction by this fictional author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top quality rubbish!, 15 Mar 2011
Goodness this is trashy! I love the Castle TV show and if you do too I bet you will enjoy this book. Just like an episode of the show but you can read at your own pace. Except I found I was reading faster and faster to find out what happened. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book., 16 Feb 2011
This review is from: Heat Wave (Nikki Heat) (Hardcover)
This book needs to be read by those that have watched the TV show Castle. Because the characters in the book are based on the characters in the show, and may be confusing unless you have seen the show.

As a HUGE fan of Castle i bought this book to see what they had managed to do with it. I was very happy with how the characters had similarities to Castle and Beckett on the show, but was also pleased with how the author managed to create differences and give avid fans of the show a look into how the characters can interact with each other.

I loved how they made the book look as if it was written by Richard Castle - even including a picture of Nathan Fillion on the back (the actor that plays Richard Castle in the TV show Castle. It made it feel more genuine and more enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just like the show, 9 Jan 2011
Miss J. Dale (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heat Wave (Nikki Heat) (Paperback)
Basically, if you change the names of the characters for the main cast on Castle, you've got the same thing. For me, that was the best thing about it. It is a part of and a continuation of the stories in the Castle story.
The plot is fun and full of humour, with enough twists and turns to keep thriller readers intrigued. The relationship between Heat and Rook is probably under developed for a "normal" novel, but if you put it into the context of the show's relationships it works just fine.
All in all, as a standalone book it's pretty basic, especially with its character development. However, as a piece of the Castle TV series, it's brilliant and a must-own.

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect 'Castle' companion!, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Heat Wave (Nikki Heat) (Paperback)
I had initially tried to watch the S1 opener and just didn't get it, but after much enthusing from a good friend, decided to give Rick Castle a second chance.
And I'm *so* glad I did! Okay, its not 'Bones', we're not surrounded by the super smart in a state of the art lab with funding no object, but I think 'Castle' is a comparable to that other excellent series.
The book, 'Heat Wave' is the novelisation of what happened when 'Rick Castle' met NYPD Kate Beckett. Or rather, what he *wishes* had happened! A rollicking good read that proved a pleasurable ride through the alternative world of what happens on screen between Castle and Beckett, with the rest of the ensemble cast pitching in where they need to to keep the plot moving along. The murder proves only the start of a life change for Nikki Heat/Kate Beckett, top Detective with NYPD, when Pulitzer Prize winning, charm overloaded, top journalist Jameson Rook (who see what he's doing here?) pitches up in her life to write an article about the NYPD. They prove a formidable team, the professional detective, and the professional crime writer, each bringing different viewpoints to the murders they find but both working together to solve the crimes.
But its not just murders they are good at - the undeniable UST rises to boiling point in NYC during a record breaking heatwave.
As I say, an enjoyable novel, and one you don't really need to have seen the tv series in order to enjoy.
I await the second novel's publishing in paperback with anticipation :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy and fun the perfect book to accompany the tv show, 14 Oct 2010
Marie Tuttle (Limerick, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heat Wave (Nikki Heat) (Hardcover)
It's exactly what you would expect, a light thriller written in at times a classic cheesy style.If you are not a fan of the show it may be lost on you, and you may think its just badly written. Certainly an avid thriller/crime reader may find the book too short and not complex enough. For Castle tv fans it's great fun though!

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

Heat Wave (Nikki Heat Series, Book One)
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat Series, Book One) by Richard Castle (Paperback - 26 Oct 2012)