Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 2 April 2013
The second instalment in this series focuses on building an image of a world where American economic and military might disappears suddenly. With most of the population and economy gone (but much of its military assets temporarily still available) those remaining fight to decide what a new America might look like. Internally this develops broadly as conflict between idealist immigration supporters and "America for Americans" rejectionists. Externally this divides into former allies and former enemies with the BRICS overall surprisingly quiet.

The bogeymen and the plot are perhaps a little predictable but I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
on 30 August 2014
After reading "Without Warning" I couldn't let too much time pass by before I read the next in the trilogy. In "Without Warning" the apocalypse has happened, at least for North America. Birmingham built up a plausible world of chaos and survival. In "After America" we are three years into that post-apocalyptic world. The US has been virtually emptied of all human life, great destruction has occurred, now it is time for something to fill that vacuum. Once again John Birmingham does a very plausible job of painting one possible way things would develop... and it's not a nice world. It is unsafe, violent, full of fanatical extremists trying to establish their own fiefdoms and of a rump US trying to create some sort of stability in a world where it is no longer number one.
I found this to be a very thrilling ride with just enough variation of pace to keep the various storylines running and keeping my attention riveted on the page. There were times it read like a war novel, others when it read like a spy novel, but there were also times when it was very much in the post-apocalypse genre. I would give this book five stars but I'm trying to reserve those for truly mind-boggling stuff... This was a close-run thing. I can't wait to read the next in the series....
VINE VOICEon 6 July 2013
John Birmingham is an author who has nothing to prove but he does keep turning out really fine stories.

After America is the second episode of an alternate history that sees American economic, political and a good bit of the military might virtually disappear overnight. Now there will be those out there that think that that is no bad thing but if it did happened and the world turns out anything like Birmingham's projection it would be a bad world to live in. This second instalment deals with the various rival factions who are trying to establish a new country but those factions are pulling in very different directions.

The plot is a little dis-jointed at times but in a way that adds to the excitement of the whole story rather than detract from it and I have to say that this is a real page turner.

Well done Mr Birmingham...more please!
on 16 October 2013
This is what I call a flick read - story was good, but there were large sections where I could just scan the pages and it didn't interest me. So, flick onto the next section that has some relevance. A long book with only a few really interesting bits. Could have been shorter with less padding. However, the timing of the coming together at the end was not good or believable. The whole series was just too long with too much padding. Preferred the World War series.
on 4 October 2013
It was good to see some of the original characters from WITHOUT WARNING and again the realism of JOHN BIRMINGHAM leaves you unsure of what will become of these characters as you turn the pages. It leaves you where THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK left us before RETURN OF THE JEDI sorted out the Star Wars triology. I am about to start ANGELS OF VENGEANCE and cannot wait to see the worlds progress since AFTER AMERICA finshed. Great stuff !!
on 17 August 2013
This book is a good sequel to Without Warning. The characters and plot are developed well from the first book. I was so disappointed when the book ended, as I was on holiday and had to wait to return to order the 3rd and final in the series.The only dissappointment is it is still not clear what caused the initial event, I hope the author puts me out of my misery by the end of the final book.
on 29 July 2015
Loved the first book and couldn't wait to start this one..
However, the pace slowed considerably and I even found myself speed reading through certain chapters to stop myself falling asleep, (Kipper or NY). Still an interesting concept though so i'll read the 3rd just to see what happens. But I'm guessing not much..., PLEASE prove me wrong JB!
on 6 July 2014
I liked John Birmingham's ww 2.1 books however this just did not work for me on any level, it lacked the invention and flare of his first books. I fould this to be deeply Disappointing I will keep any on his other books to see if they get better
on 3 April 2014
This trilogy explores the social and military effects of a huge disaster befalling the USA and then goes on to show how the whole world depends upon the USA rising from the ashes in its usual predictably robust form.
on 28 October 2013
A reasonable read but not up to the standard of the first in the sequence (Without Warning) It is as if the story is running out of steam, the characters and developing storyline are struggling to remain believable.