4.0 out of 5 stars Man of Steel
Published 21 months ago by Jenny, Wondrous Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book but a frustrating number of mistakes
I've just finished reading Greg Cox's novelisation of MAN OF STEEL and while I enjoyed the book there were many sentences with missing or repeated words which was frustrating.

Published 20 months ago by RICHARD HAWES

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book but a frustrating number of mistakes, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Man of Steel: The Official Movie Novelization (Mass Market Paperback)

There is an example of this every few pages in an otherwise well edited book. For example on page 308 there is a line that reads "There was a lot of work of work to do,". This was really annoying.

I also thought it was unfair that the author of this book doesn't get his name on the spine and in only small print on the cover. The aforementioned issues aside he wrote a very engaging book.

Although I have one more gripe. He misspelled Kryptonian on page 219. The n was dropped. He or the proof readers should have picked that up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Man of Steel, 7 July 2013
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Man of Steel is a great novelisation of my favourite film of the year so far. It's fast-paced and exciting, and includes lots more detail, thoughts and explanations than the film does. This is why I love film and TV tie-in novels so much; they're like a bonus round in a video game, full of extra juicy bits that you don't see on the screen. While this particular novel appears slightly rushed and has quite a lot of missing words and grammatical errors, Greg Cox has once again delivered a highly enjoyable novelisation that is sure to satisfy fans of Superman.

Throughout this novel there are deleted film scenes and some unused dialogue that were obviously cut from the script quite late on. One of these scenes shows a baby Clark at the doctors, having his hearing tested. He screams and all the glass in the nearly Smallville street shatters, leaving the doctor and Martha and Jonathan Kent wondering just who, and what, Clark really is. It's a nice little scene, but I can see why it was cut: it's more of the same and wasn't needed once the audience had already seen how superhuman Clark is. It's nice to have it presented here, though, and it's an added extra for dedicated fans. There are a few instances of different dialogue too, and again it's fun to see how the final screenplay changed and got to where it is now.

Even though I've seen the film quite a few times, I still had questions about certain aspects of the plot. For the most part they're all answered here, with Cox giving a greater understanding of Krypton's current state at the start of the story as well as more of an insight into Jor-El and Zod's thoughts. Which brings me to one of my favourite parts of this book: Jor-El's thoughts! I've found myself becoming increasingly fascinated with this new Krypton and I loved getting to know Jor-El more, through his personal thoughts and feelings. I now like this incarnation of his character even more, which I didn't think was possible!

Greg Cox writes with a very easy, accessible style, making his tie-in novels suitable for almost any age. He shows a deep understanding of what he's writing about, a love for it, and another fantastic example of that is his novelisation of The Dark Knight Rises that was published in 2012. He's certainly one of the best tie-in novelists out there, and I'm glad he took up the task of bringing the Man of Steel to the page. It can't be easy to write under pressure and mounting deadlines - especially when dealing with something so important as a movie screenplay - and aside from the rushed errors I mentioned earlier and some incorrect descriptive detail, Man of Steel is a worthy addition to my tie-in library!

Obviously this book won't appeal to everyone, but if you've seen the film and enjoyed it, then I'd highly recommend you give it a read. The extra scenes, dialogue and thought processes are worth the purchase price alone, and who doesn't want to spend a few extra enjoyable hours with Superman?! I'll be re-reading this for sure, as it's going to be quite a long wait for the Blu-ray release. This book should tide me over until then, I hope!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing adaptation, 26 July 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There's quite a few times when I get the chance to sit back and read a book for a film that I'd not only love to see but had saved up the finances for an epic trip out. So avoiding all the hype, the trailers and other peoples points of view I sat back to embark on what I was hoping was going to be an epic new era for the Man of Steel.

What unfurled within the book was a story that was disappointing, the reader never really got to grips with Clark or the other people within relying on peoples past associations of what has gone before to fill in the blanks. The storyline was quite weak and to be blunt you could tell from start to finish that it was purely an action movie as that was what most of the descriptions within were. Sadly this felt rather flat and I suspect it will work a lot better in a visual medium than it did within these pages. A great disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written novel, could have used a spellcheck, 26 Aug. 2013
Morten Hillebert Bay (Struer, Denmark) - See all my reviews
The novelization, initially felt like a complete retread of the source movie. However, as the plot unfolds you get familiar with many characters' points of view, and the writing improves.
You get important characterisation on key scenes, actually improving on the movie in some spots.
The novel also helped clear up/ retcon a few of the things I initially disliked about the movie.
The novel does however suffer from some lacking language skills, that could have easily been corrected by an spell-checker. General errors of note include double usage of wording, article missing, article unnecessary and a few cases of words missing a single letter. This however, does not subtract from the story, if only from the novel's otherwise substantial pull.
Well worth reading for any fan of the movie, as well as for the doubting soul.
All will be explained!

4.0 out of 5 stars Man of Steel Rocks!!!, 17 July 2013
If you loved the movie and want to see the actual early draft that was based on the film with a few changes then get this book.

If you enjoyed the movie but were left confused by some plot threads, character actions and other confusing things then get this book because it will in some ways help explain away those problems.

If you love Greg Cox or reading Movie Novelizations in general then get this book. It was a fun read and also interesting to help understand the world of that Zack Snyder and David Goyer have created in the movie universe.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so super!, 28 July 2013
I know a lot of people really liked this novelization of the 'Man of steel' film. Sadly, I am not one of them. Gave up about 20 pages in as I was unable to connect with the writing style. Nothing wrong with it. Just not for me. That's 2 out of 2 books from the new film that failed (for me) to live up to the expectation. Oh hum!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 2 July 2013
Really good, I love the fact they have some of the quotes from the movie. But the only thing I dislike is the size of the book. I felt it was a bit small (not page wise but hight). I found it a bit annoying and fiddly. But it is well worth the money, I wise I spent the extra to get the hard back version.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Novelisation, 16 Jan. 2014
I liked the novelisation more than the film itself as this really probes more into the world of Man of Steel and the history of Krypton. It also shows how Krypton's destruction is much closer to the original comic strips in cause than the previous movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man of Steel, 12 Aug. 2013
Enjoyed reading the book so much I read it over a couple of days. Have been a dc fan since the middle 50's. This had a different slant to the earlier films that have been released but an enjoyable one.
I am now looking forward to seeing the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superman, 5 July 2013
A good reboot to a classic hero, an exciting story that brings a new slant to his origin. In all a good piece of work.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Man of Steel: The Official Movie Novelization
Man of Steel: The Official Movie Novelization by Greg Cox (Mass Market Paperback - 18 Jun. 2013)