4.0 out of 5 stars Has its flaws, but a good story
I read the two reviews on this site, and then looked at the many on the amazon.com site.

I did wonder whether to buy the book, but I am glad I did. It is a better book than Intrigues, I feel.

Yes, the copy editing could have been much better, but the same can be said of far too many books these days.

And bits of the story do jar badly with...
Published on 22 Nov 2011 by Russell Hafter

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed
I've been waiting for this for ages, and have had it on pre order as a huge fan of the Valdemar series. I settled down with it Friday afternoon, looking forwards to a good read and finding out what happened next...
Published on 10 Oct 2011 by A Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed, 10 Oct 2011
A Smith "Book worm :-)" (UK. somewhere) - See all my reviews
I finished the book and went back and reread the last few chapters sure I must have missed soemthing, the book leaves so many questions unanswered, and it felt a rushed in places and in others scraped to thin.... if theres not a fourth part to this mini series in Valdemar I am going to feel I have been cheated.
All in all definitely not the best of the lot, and really rather disapointing :-(

4.0 out of 5 stars Has its flaws, but a good story, 22 Nov 2011
Russell Hafter (Lake District, UK) - See all my reviews

And bits of the story do jar badly with things already set out in Foundation. But that sort of thing has also been going on for years now; particularly, it sems, in the fantasy field.

People have said, quite rightly, that Changes does not, in any way, wrap up The Collegium Chronicles. Looking back, I do not see it stated anywhere that this was going to be a trilogy; I suspect most us just assumed that it would be, like most of the other Valdemar books. It starts to look more like a pentalogy (at least) by now.

As to the story itself, yes, it was pretty obvious that one nasty piece of work from the earlier books was going to be heavily involved on the 'wrong' side, and the perhaps frustrating ending was pretty predictable too.

Nevertheless, I still found it a good story and a good read.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 9 Oct 2011
Rather too long, without much meat to the story. It feels like a novella or short story that's been stretched into a stand alone book.

Too much about the adolescents' problems and no real moving on of what I suppose is the real story, that of what the foreigners are up to.

Quite a lot of distracting typos.

It doesn't really feel like Lackey's best work - perhaps we've been greedy in wanting so much so fast.

Not worth buying unless, like me you are a die hard Valdemar/Lackey fan, even so I'd have been happier borrowing it from the library and not cluttering up my bookshelves

Sorry Misty

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable!, 4 Dec 2011
This third volume in the Collegium chronicles is well named "Changes". Everything's changing: people's attitudes to the new Collegia, the students' develolping relationships with each other, the roles of Heralds, the very status and nature of Valdemar. Well, everything except the staples of Lackey's excellent writing: tension, mystery, pace, vivid characters and personal development. After a satisfying denouement there are enough hooks left over to keep the reader itching for the next volume. Just wish all these books were available on Kindle!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her greatest, 25 April 2014
I have stuck with this series for a 3 books and this one just tipped me over the edge of not reading book 4, although I HATE not finishing series. It is ok, reasonably entertaining but not even in the same planet as her original Valdemar series.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read, 22 Oct 2013
Just as enjoyable as the rest. This new series of books are great. A good easy read. Download and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars It will keep you long past your bedtime, 4 Oct 2013
This book was one of those cannot put down books. Kept you intrigued unto the end.
Long may she keep writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valdemar, 25 Aug 2013
Another good story about this world.With the Companions and others. Fans will love the Collegium Chronicles books, as do I

5.0 out of 5 stars Left me wanting more (in a good way), 14 July 2013
Rounded out the stories from the previous books, rounded out the characters and left me wanting more, i.e. please can we have the next one soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 17 May 2013
Mrs. Maureen E. Sims "Mog" (Winchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Changes (The Collegium Chronicles -Book 3) (Valdemar) (Paperback)
Love Mercedes Lackey but thought this was not up to her usual standard, story was ok but it was almost if a much younger person had written in, of the books in this series not her best

Changes (The Collegium Chronicles -Book 3) (Valdemar)
Changes (The Collegium Chronicles -Book 3) (Valdemar) by Mercedes Lackey (Paperback - 23 Nov 2012)
5.59