5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful artbook
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:09 Mins
When I first saw the cover, I found it puzzling that an animated movie artbook would have a cover with this much white space. Covers for such books are usually filled with strong colours.

Published 21 months ago by Parka

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not the expert but I'm not too sure about this one
I could be wrong. This is a gift so I don't get the final say, but the artwork seems a bit scarce and not as well presented as a lot of similar books about movie artwork.
Published 8 months ago by Brent Hackers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful artbook, 16 Oct 2012
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:09 Mins

Featured in this 156-page hardcover are gorgeous concept art for the DreamWorks animated film. Rise of the Guardians is based on the children book series The Guardians of Childhood, written by William Joyce, who's also the film's executive producer.

Just printed behind the covers are huge detailed 3D portraits of the six main characters. They are North, Bunny, Tooth, Sandy, Jack Frost and Pitch. The art revolve around them.

Animated films with mythical characters are pretty common but it's always fun to see different interpretation. The character designs are wonderful. All the six are given a slight twist. North, aka Santa Claus, wields two swords and looks more like a warrior. And Bunny looks quite cool with the serious demeanor. My favourites are probably the designs for Sandy and Tooth. There's also much to read with the lengthy commentary on the characters.

Beside character art, there are many beautiful paintings of the magical worlds they live in. Some of the ones I like are from Max Boas, Tim Lamb, Jayee Borcar, Peter Maynez, Felix Yoon, Patrick Hanenberger and Woonyoung Jung. They create much of the environment art of which many are printed big and nice.

Overall, the artbook packs plenty of things to see and read. It's fantastic and highly recommended.

It seems there are two publishers for this book, Titan Books and Insight Editions. Prices for the books might differ depending on where the books are sold.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Art of Rise of the Guardians (Hardcover)
The Art of Rise of the Guardians is a beautifuly designed book with a lot of interesting information and pictures. Every person who likes the movie or is interested in CGArts should have it on their shelf.
Solid, thick and with removable cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning book, 23 July 2013
This review is from: The Art of Rise of the Guardians (Hardcover)
I enjoyed every page, almost as much as watching the film. I opened the book today as soon as it came, I like how there's distinct splits breaking up the characters but keeping them all as a 'whole'. Removing the dust cover I was happy to find 2 more illustrations. Each artist is credited on their artwork -all in all I can't fault this book :)(perhaps it could have went on a little longer!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very happy with this book :), 3 July 2013
This review is from: The Art of Rise of the Guardians (Hardcover)
I purchased this book before watch the movie and I don' regret it, binding is hardcover, the book has too many pages and is filled with details of the creation process. One of the best books I purchased about movie concept art, a great inspiration, each page is a new experience of shapes and colors with very useful information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Art of Rise of the Guardians (Hardcover)
I was so excited when I saw the big box in the morning, and it came a day after it was dispatched so I was very surprised the book is beautiful inside and out and has helped me with ideas with my art course. No complaints here.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!!, 19 May 2013
LOVE IT!!
Great Layout. Love the film. Love the concepts more!!
The book is crammed with beautiful drawings and character sketches.
Very inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 8 April 2013
This review is from: The Art of Rise of the Guardians (Hardcover)
i loved this book just as much as i loved the movie - fans of animation and special effects or just films in general should get this wonderful book filled with tons of gorgeous art

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Rise of the Guardians, 13 Jan 2013
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Art of Rise of the Guardians (Hardcover)
I ordered The Art of Rise of the Guardians the day I saw the film for the first time. The film captured my imagination in a way no other has done for a while and I really wanted to know more about the making of it. I've never been a big fan of animated films, and I certainly didn't realise just how much work went into them. Rise of the Guardians has opened up a whole new movie world for me!

This book is bursting with art that will take your breath away. From sections on characters to locations, everything is included here and it's all presented in glorious glossy colour. One of the best parts of the book, and probably the most interesting for me, details the life of a sequence. As I mentioned before, I had no idea just how much work and how many different teams are involved in making an animated feature. It's incredible. This particle chapter folds out into a huge page with a chart showing all the different production stages, as well as strips of the animation in all its incarnations. It's fascinating!

Almost every page of The Art of Rise of the Guardians offers new facts and trivia that can't be found by watching the film. This extra insight is invaluable for fans of the Guardians, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again so I can notice more. There's a lot of detail and mythology accompanying these stories and characters and reading this book just cements how much effort and work went into creating it.

If you know anyone who enjoyed watching Rise of the Guardians, or anyone who is a fan of movies and how they're made, then this is a great book to recommend. I own a lot of large format books about all different kinds of films, ranging from Superman the Movie and Titanic to Lord of the Rings and Avatar, and The Art of Rise of the Guardians is by far one of my favourites. There's enough text to accompany the plethora of art on offer and, rather than focus solely on the main characters, every aspect of the production is featured. I can't say enough good things about this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for girlfriend and she loved it, 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Art of Rise of the Guardians (Hardcover)
My girlfriend is an animator and she loves books where she can see how the characters and world are created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Art of Rise of the Guardians (Hardcover)
After watching the movie and being blown away by how beautiful and intricate the designs and textures were, I just had to buy the art book. I was not disappointed. The art book is beautiful and has a huge range of art. I highly recommend this book for all fans of animation and movie art

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Art of Rise of the Guardians
The Art of Rise of the Guardians by Alec Baldwin (Hardcover - 16 Oct 2012)
16.99