5.0 out of 5 stars Aliens that really are alien
Published 14 months ago by Dean

3.0 out of 5 stars A filer with some moralizing differences?
Published 13 months ago by JPS

3.0 out of 5 stars A filer with some moralizing differences?, 19 May 2013
JPS - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier - Guardian (book 3) (Paperback)
I mostly enjoyed reading this latest instalment of the Lost Fleet - Beyond the Frontier series, but not quite as much as most of the previous volumes. I largely had the same feeling I had with the previous volume and a sense of "déjà vu". The book "recycles" many of the features that have already been used in previous volumes, including the romance and bantering between admiral "Black Jack" Geary and his flag captain, the devious and unscrupulous "Syndicate" regime who seems to be crumbling forever, and the "almost-as-devious" politicians of the Alliance. Even one of the "new" characters, such as a young lieutenant with green hair, seems to be a recast of a previous character "killed off" in a previous volume.

Having mentioned this, the book also has some of the qualities of the previous volumes and a number of differences. For starters, there are no huge and desperate space battles pitting numerous enemies against Geary's veteran, worn and torn battle fleet. Instead, as the fleet struggles to return to Alliance space through the Syndicate Worlds, there are a series of smaller engagements as the latter spring one trap after another to destroy it, despite the peace treaty that supposedly ended the war against the two superpowers. These engagements are rather well thought out and well told, with these being perhaps one of the best parts of the book.

Another piece which is emphasized rather more than in previous volumes is the political upheaval in the Alliance as the "Lost Fleet" once again returns victorious from a mission it may not have been expected to survive. While the author, like many ex-members of armed forces from a number of countries that have recently been involved in wars, may (understandably) have little sympathy for self-interested "politicians", the way the squabbling senators are presented in the book felt like a caricature at times and did not entirely ring true. I was also rather confused (but perhaps was I meant to be?) and failed to identify the various factions that the senators was supposed to represent. I am still unsure as to what exactly each of them was supposed to stand for, apart from the personal rivalries that they seem to indulge in. My credulity was somewhat stretched to the limits by some sweeping generalizations, particularly when one particularly disenchanted senator "self-confesses" that they are all professional liars.

While the author does make some effort, particularly at the beginning of the book, to fill in the reader with events that have taken place in previous volumes, a number of features - such as the decision of some of the Alliance's allies to pull out, or the importance of the "errand" given to Admiral Geary - are left unexplained (or unsufficiently explained).

The "new" enemy that they encounter felt also like caricatures while the "moralizing" tones of the inhabitants of the planet that they rescue towards the end of the book felt somewhat "nave". In any case, I would have liked to learn more about the history of the Alliance, and of Man's colonization of the stars, but there was very little about this in this volume. There is also very little new about the alien races. Apart from some moralizing lessons for humans (again!), these remain mostly enigmatic (no play on words intended).

While still a good read, I was a bit disappointed by this volume...

5.0 out of 5 stars Aliens that really are alien, 13 May 2013
Too often we see aliens who are driven by the same motivations we have ourselves. What I like most about the Beyond series over and above the original Lost Fleet, is the way the three alien races have not only their own motivations but that John has included in the central story not only the discussion of their motivations but also take the time to consider what that says about humanity. Let's face it, the cute but homicidal aliens positioned against the ugly but friendly aliens has been done before but the intelligent way it's been handled, with the dread feeling on board the captured ship and the concern that the Dancers aren't telling everything they know, just keeps us wondering whether things are as simple as they seem. Even the differences between the Syndicate, the ex-Syndicate worlds and the Alliance gets carefully considered rather than just a sidebar on the way to the next battle. Oh and by the way, that ending completely caught me by surprise, nice work John, keep it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let out the breath you didn't know you were holding., 16 July 2013
Mark Chitty (North Wales) - See all my reviews
A new Lost Fleet novel is becoming a regular occurrence and, much like my birthday and Christmas, I look forward to the annual event and wonder what it will bring each year. With Guardian I didn't expect anything massively different from the last instalment, but questioned whether Campbell would introduce something new and different, and eager to see where he's going with the plot threads he has in motion.

After the events of Invincible, Geary's First Fleet of the Alliance is in the Midway star system patching up its ships and taking stock of what occurred in non-human space. With plans to head home high on the agenda, Geary is hoping that all goes smoothly on the journey. But despite the uneasy peace truce with the Syndicate Worlds they run into trouble along the way, but not the sort they've seen before. With emissaries of the alien species known as the Dancers to protect, as well as the captured Invincible, Geary has much more to content with than he hoped, and surprises are often waiting for him at every turn.

Before going into more detail about my thoughts on Guardian, I have to point out that when I started the Beyond The Frontier series with Dreadnaught I was under the impression that it was going to be a trilogy. Based on this, I went into Guardian expecting some resolutions, answers to my questions, and a novel that would deliver all of these in a quick-paced and action packed finale. Suffice to say I was wrong - Guardian is not the concluding volume of this series, and I suppose only Campbell knows how many more novels are to appear.

So, Guardian. What can I say that I haven't said before? Well, nothing much, to be honest. This is the 9th (!) Lost Fleet novel following John 'Black Jack' Geary and his fellow crew and ships in Alliance, Syndic, and non-human space. What Dreadnaught promised with the mission to explore space beyond that of human habitation (hence the rather apt sub-series title of Beyond The Frontier), and Invincible added to, Guardian takes away. We are, effectively, done with exploration and back to what we know best: getting home from Syndic space.

While this initially gives the distinct impression of SSDD, Guardian does take things in a new direction, if only slightly. The Syndics aren't as stupid - or transparent - as they once were, and it makes for some interesting set pieces. We may not have seen these scenarios before, but we have seen Geary et al deal with them, and Guardian follows the well worn path laid out by its predecessors.

Go on, let out the breath you didn't know you were holding. I'll wait.

We've got new characters that contribute to the Fleet, but they're in familiar roles. We've got Geary racking his brains to come up with solutions that often come to him at the last minute. We've got Desjani and Rionne despising each other, even when they know the other has a valid point. We've got the inevitable clash between politicians and military. We've got it all. But it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I've come to view the Lost Fleet series as the book equivalent of a popcorn movie. You go in knowing that you'll enjoy it, come out having had a good time, question some aspects of the narrative and actions, but ultimately accept it as it is and go on your way a happy person. Lets be honest, you're not going to start with this novel, and if you've tried them from the start you're either a fan or you're not. Campbell hasn't done anything here that will shake the foundations of the genre, but he has delivered the type of story that puts a smile on your face and gets your anticipation up for the next instalment.

I, for one, am an unashamed fan of this series, despite my poor attempts at poking fun at it. Happy days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, as usual, 27 May 2013
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Another entertaining, undemanding tale in the "Lost Fleet" series from Mr. Campbell. His hero(in)es are well portrayed, but sometimes they seem just a little too uncannily prescient for my liking, out-thinking the baddies just too often and at too little cost to themselves. However, this is what's called "space opera", and this fairy tale element comes with the territory. More to come for Black Jack Geary? Well, there remain a lot of loose ends waving around. I'm sure there's at least another book's worth of interstellar adventures here. I for one shall be there.

5.0 out of 5 stars More…More!!!, 13 Mar 2014
Lover the series and love this latest book. The trouble is I compare all other Sify series with this one, most don't quite make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have read the whole lot, 28 Feb 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the series, I would definitely recommend this book. I've read the first, then the next and then...

4.0 out of 5 stars Continues the saga, 10 Feb 2014
I like this series as an easy holiday read. They could do with some fresher ideas perhaps now we are on book 9, tho' the alien encounters are adding something

5.0 out of 5 stars classic space opera, 2 Feb 2014
Excellent read, makes me want the next book right now.
Great to be able to have the characters still moving on !

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end to the the Lost Fleet and Beyond Frontiers?, 26 Jan 2014
This was a great ending to the complete series and the ending worked well. This could have been a fitting and rewarding end to the complete series.
However, we learn that book 4 will be available in 2014 (already ordered) and this means I can continue to follow the story for a little longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 21 Jan 2014
Mr. R. Sparrow "Rick in Eye" (England) - See all my reviews
I did this in two sittings, couldn't put it down, and can't wait for the next one. He does this genre of writing very well.

The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier - Guardian (book 3)
The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier - Guardian (book 3) by Jack Campbell (Paperback - 10 May 2013)
5.59