5.0 out of 5 stars Transported back again to another time
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:24 Mins
I find that Assassin's Creed books are generally quite good. It's not just artbooks, the game guides too, and of course the wonderful Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia which is now updated to 384 pages for Assassin's Creed 3, available at Ubi Workshop online store.

The Art of Assassin's Creed is a 144-page hardcover artbook in rather...
Published on 11 Nov. 2012 by Parka

1.0 out of 5 stars Great artwork, poor quality binding
The artwork was exceptional but the quality of the binding was appalling as most pages were excessively glued at the seams and ripped the surface off the pages when you opened them
Published 8 months ago by RR

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Transported back again to another time, 11 Nov. 2012
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:24 Mins

The Art of Assassin's Creed is a 144-page hardcover artbook in rather similar size to the first artbook Assassin's Creed Limited Edition Art Book.

This time, the game travels back in time to the American Revolution from 1753 to 1783. As such, you'll see a lot of period costume designs, so much that I think fashion design probably flourished at that time. Most of the character designs are of soldiers and generals in uniform.

The environment art consist of a small portion on present day and the rest are in the past. You can really see how the mood is set by colours and lighting. Abstergo offices look rather sterile with the hard edges and the Temple is more stylized without going into much details. Environments for the past look bleak. It's like the sky is overcast every day, regardless of whether you're in the forest, town or at sea.

I noticed that many paintings have a tendency with subjects blending into the dark shadows. Like if Connor Kenway is perched atop a structure with his face lit, the unlit part of the body will just merge with the unidentifiable structure. That's the soft edges technique in art. In this case, I guess it's to emphasis something about camouflaging, and to keep you wondering what's lurking in the shadows.

There's not a lot on weapons. The main bulk of art are on characters and the environments. Commentary comes with all the illustrations and they talk about the art and setting.

The art is great but the subjects and artistic style might not appeal to some people. I spoke to a friend and he said he preferred the art for the earlier games. I also felt that way to a certain extent.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning, 13 Feb. 2013
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Art of Assassins Creed III (Hardcover)
TheAC3 art book is full of some of the most stunning images I have ever seen in a game art book; each picture is of such incredible quality that it could stand on its own as a piece of art work in a gallery.

Having spent the last couple of months devouring this book and its amazing illustrations, I can honestly say I am stunned - so much detail has gone into the backgrounds, the foregrounds, the characters (their faces, clothing, weapons, etc) that it is unfortunate to note how quickly it is passed when you are playing the game; and how little of it I, as a player of the games, noticed during game play.

Take, for example, the ships and docks: the reflections in the water, the rigging, the masts and sails are all so incredibly illustrated, but so is the sky: storm fronts, sunsets, battle smoked skies are almost hypnotic in their detail and depth, as are the winter scenes.

The winter scenes show the seas starting to freeze; the snow covered buildings and trees, even beams and ropes are holding their own snow fall; there are even icicles are hanging down towards the ground ... no detail has been missed.

Wooden beams are detailed with not only the grain but with knots too.

One of the most thought provoking images, for me, was where the character is stood on top of a giant wind turbine looking out over a massive wind farm which spreads across the land as far as the eye can see - an area of land that was obviously once a scene of natural beauty and is now anything but. To be honest I hadn't an opinion either way on the subject of wind farms as the ones near to us are all off the coast, but having looked at this picture of the decimation and the ugliness of these machines I would definitely suggest all those politicians that say wind farms are wonderful (as long as they are nowhere near them) should take a long look at this picture - they may change their minds.

Even if you're not interested in the games the book can be fascinating. My mother who has no interest in the games or in gaming has spent hours looking through the images in the book.

I am blown away by the art contained in this book, and I would recommend it as well worth considering for any AC fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars If anything, this book made me want to play Assassin's Creed again., 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Art of Assassins Creed III (Hardcover)
First things first: I feel like I am the only guy in the world, who actually doesn't like the Assassin's Creed series. While I'll admit that the first Assassin's really cought my interest, I never came around finishing it, because it felt like a chore halfway through the game. Then again, maybe my interest in the game was more of an interest for Jade Raymond, the producer of the original Assassin's... Anyways. I have never played another Assassin's Creed since.

What I do have, is the The Art of Assassin's Creed 3, and it's one of the most beautiful art books I own. I got this as a christmas gift from my parents and I love it! It's glossy white hardcover binding displays a big red roman three with the Assassin's Creed logo shimmering behind it. It looks very artsy and draws your attention towards your book shelf. The harcover is protected by a paper cover which displays a snowy peace of art.

The book has 7 distinct chapters ranging from the art works for the present day part of the game, over the forests, frontiers and cities of the game (e.g. Boston and New York), to the vast battles at the sea. You will get an inside look into the characters and some of the weapons of the game as well. From all the chapters inside the book I particularly loved the ones about the forests and generally epic landscapes of the game.

I really like that this art book feels like a story in its own right. It's perfectly set up and features lots and lots of insight into the development of Ubisoft's blockbuster AAA title. Almost so many insights in fact, that I feel every Assassin's Creed fan should definately get this book, just to make sure not to miss out on anything.

I can only give this book another whopping 5 out of 5. If anything, this book made me want to play Assassin's Creed again. Awesome job!

For more Reviews like this, visit my personal homepage (check out my profile for the link) where I review video game art books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 14 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Art of Assassins Creed III (Hardcover)
I am sure that you are aware of the world within Assassins Creed Three, its a far from the artwork of Assassins Creed and The artbook with Revelations. The locations that we see within the book are beautifully detailed and the use of colour leaves me in awe of the artists talents. The artwork feels like assassins creed artwork its one of the best artbooks that i own (and i own a lot)

It does not go into the detail about weapons but i am not sad to be honest the digital paintings and quality of character design/concepts more then make up for this. I really cannot recommend this book enough to any Assassins Creed Fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Art of Assassins Creed III, 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Art of Assassins Creed III (Hardcover)
Bought for my son for Christmas and he raved over it. Brilliant for those who are interested in how it was created, my son loves to draw so this was right up his street

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous book, perfect for the AC lover, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Art of Assassins Creed III (Hardcover)
got this for a familty member who is nuts on AC, its fabulous. Great detailing and put together in a way giving great value for the price. RECOMMENDED !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Art., 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Art of Assassins Creed III (Hardcover)
The art work in the book is pretty good, I think I may have been expecting too much but all in all the overall quality is good. If you are a fan of the Creed this is a well worthwhile addition to your collection. The packaging was superb and it arrived in top class form. it is always a worry with art books as to whether they will arrive intact. This one certainly did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for a boyfriend (19), 19 May 2013
This review is from: The Art of Assassins Creed III (Hardcover)
I'm really glad I took the risk and bought this for my boyfriend who's obsessed with the assassins creed franchise. He loved it, the concept art was absolutely gorgeous, something even I appreciated it, despite knowing nothing of the characters or games. A very nice informative collection of imagery and artwork from the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute quality., 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Art of Assassins Creed III (Hardcover)
This book is a must have for any assassins creed fan. The quality is fantastic and for £15.99 it's an absolute bargain. Great quality with the hardcover and sleeve and the contents are brilliant. The artwork is of really high quality and it just shows why the game is so good with the artistic designers behind it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great artbook, 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Art of Assassins Creed III (Hardcover)
The book was amazing - a most buy for all who love the back environment of the game.
It lacked a few things as more detailed character designs and ideas around this aria, but I still believe it's a wonderful book, and I don't regret using my money on this piece.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Art of Assassins Creed III
The Art of Assassins Creed III by Andy McVittie (Hardcover - 30 Oct. 2012)