Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 24 June 2013
I love Fringe. I think it is one of the best series of the past few years. So as soon as I heard that Christa Faust was writing three novels about the characters in Fringe (of the other two one is about Olivia and the other about Peter - which should be published soon) I had to give it a go.

Of the three main characters, I am more interested to read about Walters back story. In this novel, he and William Bell are experimenting with a cocktail of mind altering drugs on the shores of Reiden Lake. Their minds connect in such a way that a gateway is opened to another universe. And through that gateway falls an Alternate-Zodiac killer (who preyed on young couples in the US at the end of the 60s). Walter and William then try to understand what has happened and how to rectify it.

William Bell comes across almost exactly as I imagined a young Bell to be (suave, intelligent and a hit with the ladies). Nina Sharp also appears and you can straight away see her becoming the CEO of Massive Dynamic. She is strong minded, intelligent and very focussed.

The only problem I had was with Walters' character. It was written too much like Walter 'after he had parts of his brain removed and spent 17 years in a mental hospital'. I had always imagined him more studious, driven and intelligent (a bit like Bell, but worldliwiseness - if that's a word!). He comes across in places as bumbling, stuttery and very socially awkward.

I think this book is a 3.5 star book - but I have rounded it up (because it's Fringe) to 4 stars.

One last thing as they appear in the novel, I would love to hear a Violet Sedan Chair album. What with these novels, Septembers Notebook (a great read btw), perhaps they can get some musicians together to release an album?
on 17 September 2013
I wasn't really sure If i'd like this book when it first caught my eye but really it is pretty decent. I'm not going to give you too much information on it because my words will never do it justice. You should buy the book and see for yourself.
on 27 March 2016
I love the series of Fringe, season 3 was the best! So, imagine my joy when, browsing threw the Kindle store, I stumbled across Faust's three novels set in the Fringe universe. This the the first of those three books that I've read and I still intend to read the other two. However, as much as I've enjoyed this book, I was still left a little disappointed by the end - it never truly demanded my full attention as much as I had hoped. That said, it was still interesting to find out more about Bishop, Nina and Bell, and how there friendships developed during their early teens.
on 22 August 2013
The book follows the 1st adventure involving the eldest characters of the series: Walter, Bell and Nina. We get to know how they met and why. And we get a story that mixes many of the elements we knew from "Fringe": weirdness, suspense, clifhangers... and drugs! It does lack some of the high tech and polished of the later Fringe Divison, and Walter is still sane, so that might disapoint some readers. But if you're a fan, don't let that stop you from reading this book.
on 17 October 2013
Not my usual read and it took a little getting in to but once caught up in the tale it was a good yarn. I am unaware of the TV show but I can attest that it is an engaging story with all the twist and turns you could want.

My only complaint was that the story lines were a little linear, but focusing on such a small group of characters it was kinda inevitable. Not sure I will read the second book but I enjoyed this one.
on 9 March 2014
Had I chosen this book at random, I'm sure I would have found it to be one dimensional, unbelievable and confusing. However, as a Fringe fan I did not need in-depth character descriptions or explanations for every event. I did not find the story riveting (a bit like a Famous Five for adults - or in this case Famous Three), but any continuation of Fringe is welcome and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
on 6 July 2013
A wonderful insight into the background story of three characters from the Fringe series, while I agree that Walter Bishop is too much based on how he is in the series rather than how he would've been at the time the story is set this can be forgiven as it may be thought that the character wouldn't be recognisable to fans of the show had the author not written him thus.
on 25 October 2014
My girlfriend loves the show so I thought this would make for a good Christmas gift. Ordered it about two days ago and arrived quickly and in good condition thanks.
on 31 July 2013
It contens aditional information that complete the history of the serie, bout the character Walter Bishop. It's a great book for the fan of Fringe
on 1 January 2016
If you liked Fringe this is a great read, more then a few familiar faces make an appearance..
It reads like a TV episode. Great stuff.