5.0 out of 5 stars Survival Horror just got better...
Published on 6 Jan. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Only three S.T.A.R.S.
I'm a big fan of the Resident Evil series, so I've already read the first four books by S.D Perry. I was disappointed to find that 5 doesn't follow up as well. There's two major discrepancies in there: 'Why was Jill in Racoon city in the first place?', and 'If Raccoon city was blown up, how could there have been a clean-up operation in the third book?' I suppose that...
Published on 22 Feb. 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival Horror just got better..., 6 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
This is, by far, the best of the 5 Res Evil books S.D. Perry has written. In more ways than one, I found it more enjoyable to read the book, than to play the game on the PlayStation. The whole book is based on the smash hit Resident Evil 3 : Nemesis game, which Survival Horror fans will have undoubtably loved and treasured. If you don't want to read the book because you've completed the game a hundred times (like I have) and you know what happens, you should still find it enjoyable, as it goes into more depth than the PlayStation game, and it ties up the loose ends that you never got to find out about before. Thouroughly enjoyable!

4.0 out of 5 stars battling nemesis, 29 Dec. 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Resident Evil - Nemesis (Resident Evil (Titan Mass Market)) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the 5th book and is based on the Resident Evil game Nemesis - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1).

I don't believe that you need to have played the games to read and enjoy the books, but I would recommend, however, that you read the books in order to gain an overview of the STARS-Umbrella back story and a growing understanding of "Trent" and his role in the T-virus outbreak and the battle against Umbrella.

The characters are rounded enough, with snippets of background, to allow you to follow them and understand their reasons for being there (but I still don't understand why Jill Valentine wouldn't have left when all the others did).

The story follows STARs member Jill Valentine (one of the survivors of the Spencer Mansion "incident" as she finally looks to leave Raccoon City. As she fights those infected by the T-virus she comes across members of the Umbrella's Special Forces squad UBCS (Umbrella Bio-Hazard Countermeasure Service) lead by Carlos Oliveira.

As the danger of the situation becomes more obvious it dawns on them that they need to work together in order to survive - but can an ex-STARs member trust Umbrella employees and will they trust her?

There is a reoccurrence of the character Brad "chicken heart" Vickers, but will he be hero or zero?

A reduced variation of the game Nemesis is playable within the RE:UC game so I was slightly familiar with the story, but only slightly, and because of this I came to this story with an open mind.

As with the previous SD Perry books I enjoyed the story and the extra information it gave me on the background of Umbrella which I had been missing and added more information on the mysterious "Trent" one of SD Perry's creations.

If you enjoy the Resident Evil games I can recommend the SD Perry's Resident Evil series of books. Some are stand alone (not based on games) and others follow the games. Those that follow the games (from my limited experience) are close enough to the game to be true to the genre but are not just a walkthrough of the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars batting nemesis, 9 April 2011
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I became a fan of the Resident Evil franchise when I purchased a copy of RE4 for my Wii console - Resident Evil 4 (Wii) - I enjoyed it so much that I purchased all the other games available for the Wii (RE:Zero - Resident Evil Archives: Zero (Wii), RE - Resident Evil (Wii), RE:UC - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii), RE:DC - Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii)). I became engulfed by the story of the STARS and Umbrella.

Resident Evil and RE:Zero giving me the start of the story of the STARS (Special Tactics and Rescue Service/Squad) and RE:UC and RE:DC giving me a taste of what I was missing from the rest of the series of games. So I started to search for anything to fill in the gaps in the story and I stumbled across the books by SD Perry.

Unfortunately, for me, getting hold of some of these books has been extremely difficult but I finally managed to get hold of the books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back to the world of survival horror...., 8 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
Resident Evil 5 will be a brilliant book. I am a big fan of fan of resident evil and have read the last four books which were very good and I can not wait for the release of the fifth one. The plot is set 24 hours before and after Resident Evil :City of the Dead. Jill Valentine is once again caught in the horror of the t-virus, created by chemical company Umbrella, when it is spread through the city. The t-virus was created to be sold as a biological weapon which can turn people into zombies in a matter of hours. Her only way to survive is to get out of the city with the help of Carlos Oliveira, part of Umbrella Biohazard Countermeasure Service. Even with zombies and other monsters, there is an even bigger threat that prowles the streets, stalking them. Nemesis. Resident Evil 5 fills us in on what happens after City of the Dead and more of the horrifying secrets and monsters of Umbrella. S.D. Perry has done a great job of making the novelisation of the Resident Evil games and original novels based on the game. I hope there will be more books based on resident evil coming in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again!, 20 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
Another excellent novelisation by SD Perry. There's more bad language in this one, which helped convey the character's feelings; the odd swear word is better than "jeez!" or "woah!"
She does admit the odd continuity error from the other novels, but the storyline is as gripping and tense as ever! The gore and blood is evident, as you would expect and, all in all, this is an excellent read!
If you have all four previous novels already, then add this to your collection! I'm just waiting for her novelisation of Resident Evil - Code: Veronica!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic., 16 Dec. 2000
Book 5 in the Resident Evil series is, chronologically, the 3rd, but no biggie. Get over it and relax to enjoy one excellent book. It may be inaccurate to the game, but offers a superior definitive plotting of the events. Roll on the novelisations of Code Veronica and Survivor. And more original novels please. If they are half as good as this then we are all in for a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great interpretation of the game and just as scary!, 6 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
This novelisation is a must for all Resident evil fans. Proberly one the best in the series, it creates atmosphere and chills you to the bone! It builds tension and the story is great. I advise you to the read the first ones in the story first or you'll get confused. S.D. Perry really does well and it was well worth the wait...BUY IT! (p.s. Dont read it at night)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!, 13 Nov. 2004
This is one of the best Resident Evil books that has been written so far. If you have played Nemesis you will basicly know what happens but what I liked about this book is that you get some back ground info as to what? where? and when?. All thoses little things that you just did'nt know.....

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant scary book YOU MUST READ IT!, 11 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
I am a great fan of the game and when i saw the book i couldn't wait to get it. Its just like the game and is written with very good, vivid description. I think that this has to be one of the best so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars What you'd expect, 19 July 2014
Brilliant readable version of the game. Like I've mentioned before, it does fill in a few aspects of the game for you, but I felt very true to the game version. Worth a read.

Resident Evil - Nemesis (Resident Evil (Titan Mass Market))
Resident Evil - Nemesis (Resident Evil (Titan Mass Market)) by S. D. Perry (Mass Market Paperback - 23 Nov. 2012)