4.0 out of 5 stars It's a hit!, 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Mr Birdsnest and the House Next Door (Little Gems) (Paperback)
I bought this book for my just turned 7yr old who has Dyslexia. She loves it and is reading it on her own. I particularly like the additional jokes in the inside cover. The layout is not too busy, but it still looks like a proper chapter book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early reader, 24 Mar. 2013
Karen Vaughan (Greece) - See all my reviews
Suitable for a young reader, quite funny storyline, frequent and interesting illustrations- read it to my 6 year old son who enjoyed it, and I will be getting him to read it back to me soon. It was shorter than I expected- only 2 bedtimes worth, but then if you were wanting a young child to read it you don't want it to be over long and thus daunting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed about the size and lack of colour in the illustrations. Otherwise a nice little book., 31 July 2014
I was disappointed receiving this little book, as i had not realised that the series’ ‘code name’ “Little gems” actually means a SMALL size (17cmx12cm) book, with only black and white illustrations.

My grandson is only five, still needs large colours for illustration to enjoy a book, while I am reading it for him...

I guess, by the time he will be 6 or 7, he will enjoy holding and reading it alone, but at the moment i am truly upset, that Amazon did not make the size of the book crystal clear.

Also to be able to look inside and see the COLOURLESS, only black and white illustrations - for me to chose, then whether I wish to buy these or the nice, large size one, with colours in it!

I am sure the text is as wonderful as every Julia Donaldson book, and there is absolutely room for these size books on the market, I just wish I was INFORMED clearly about the size, and nature of it, by the Amazon site clearly, in advance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my nearly six year old, his first ever chapter book., 25 Mar. 2014
Needed the next step up and wanted my son to attempt a chapter book. He really got into this, he's now got the ready bug, thanks Julia another winner!

4.0 out of 5 stars enchanting story, 1 Jan. 2014
Mrs. T. M. Redwood "flourbird" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I found this book quite enchanting but a little too old for my grandaughter who normally loves Julia Donaldson books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Read, 29 April 2015
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I generally can't warm to Julia Donaldson's stories, but I just loved this book. I thought the story was sweet and charming and with a lovely, surreal tone that made it stand out from her regular work. I love the Barrington Stoke Little Gem's collection and was utterly delighted to find another in their series that is a hit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Dec. 2014
Bought as a gift and we love reading it together

4.0 out of 5 stars but usual good read for one of her stories at bedtime, 18 Jan. 2015
Mander "Red" (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
bought it for the Julia collection,,,random size in comparison to all the other paperback books,,,but usual good read for one of her stories at bedtime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Jan. 2015
Another good bedtime read for youngsters

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Feb. 2015
grand daughter loves her books

Mr Birdsnest and the House Next Door (Little Gems)
Mr Birdsnest and the House Next Door (Little Gems) by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2012)