Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 December 2012
I bought this book for my just turned 7yr old who has Dyslexia. She loves it and is reading it on her own. I particularly like the additional jokes in the inside cover. The layout is not too busy, but it still looks like a proper chapter book.
on 24 March 2013
Suitable for a young reader, quite funny storyline, frequent and interesting illustrations- read it to my 6 year old son who enjoyed it, and I will be getting him to read it back to me soon. It was shorter than I expected- only 2 bedtimes worth, but then if you were wanting a young child to read it you don't want it to be over long and thus daunting.
on 25 March 2014
Needed the next step up and wanted my son to attempt a chapter book. He really got into this, he's now got the ready bug, thanks Julia another winner!
on 27 January 2016
A lovely story that starts with a house move, gets a bit scary and then goes on to end happily ever after, as stories are supposed to. The best thing about this book is that it suits children who are ready to make the transition between fully illustrated books and 'real' books. There aren't many books that bridge the gap this well.

The book has four chapters with enough grey-scale illustrations to satisfy children who are used to pictures on every page. It's ideal for reading chapter by chapter but can be read in a single sitting.

While the story is an interesting one, the language is simple. I first bought a copy for a grandson who speaks Italian most of the time and he loved the book: it saved me having to simplify the language and explain or skip culture-specific references. The second copy was for a younger English-speaking grandchild. Based on my experience I'd say the book was suitable for four to six year olds, male and female.
on 31 July 2014
I was disappointed receiving this little book, as i had not realised that the series’ ‘code name’ “Little gems” actually means a SMALL size (17cmx12cm) book, with only black and white illustrations.

My grandson is only five, still needs large colours for illustration to enjoy a book, while I am reading it for him...

I guess, by the time he will be 6 or 7, he will enjoy holding and reading it alone, but at the moment i am truly upset, that Amazon did not make the size of the book crystal clear.

Also to be able to look inside and see the COLOURLESS, only black and white illustrations - for me to chose, then whether I wish to buy these or the nice, large size one, with colours in it!

I am sure the text is as wonderful as every Julia Donaldson book, and there is absolutely room for these size books on the market, I just wish I was INFORMED clearly about the size, and nature of it, by the Amazon site clearly, in advance!
on 1 January 2014
I found this book quite enchanting but a little too old for my grandaughter who normally loves Julia Donaldson books.
I generally can't warm to Julia Donaldson's stories, but I just loved this book. I thought the story was sweet and charming and with a lovely, surreal tone that made it stand out from her regular work. I love the Barrington Stoke Little Gem's collection and was utterly delighted to find another in their series that is a hit.
on 15 December 2014
Bought as a gift and we love reading it together
on 18 January 2015
bought it for the Julia collection,,,random size in comparison to all the other paperback books,,,but usual good read for one of her stories at bedtime.
on 22 June 2015
My son loves this book. It kept him interested all the way through.