Format: PaperbackChange

on 28 May 2013
Halo Jones is one of those marmite 2000AD characters that some love, and others can't see what all the fuss was about. Personally I have been a fan of the character right back since her first appearance in the prog and I have bought all the reprints and collections over the years.

I was quite excited about a new trade paperback version, especially with the promise of an introduction by Lauren Beukes. The front cover image is unusual but fits in with 2000AD/Rebellion's repackaging to try and deliver Halo Jones to a new 21st century audience.

Inside it is a bit of a disappointment. The Beukes intro is about half a page of text telling us that she loves the stories, which is not too surprising. I confess I was expecting a longer, more in-depth article.

The Alan Moore writing is still a joy especially when his future "hoop-speak" calms down a bit. Unfortunately as the previous reviewer pointed out the shrinking of the artwork to fit this format does Ian Gibson's detailed images no favours. And this is coupled with some printing problems (possibly because the original film plates of the artwork are no longer available) which plague Book 3 in particular. Some of the pages are particularly bleached out with loss of lots of crucial detail.

Shame really as this could have been an exciting book to give to new readers. I still bought it but will turn back to the original Progs when I want to look at the art.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2013
First off, I should say that if I were just reviewing the quality of the story I'd be giving this five stars, as it's just brilliant.

However, the experience of reading this on my Kindle Fire is so very frustrating, and that's why it's dropped the marks.

The formatting is just shot to pieces. Double page splashes are cut in half. The panel zoom funcionality just doesn't work properly; it often only zooms in just a little bit, and in all cases the remainder of the page remains in the background, greyed out. If a panel is still too wide, tipping the Kindle to landscape is no help at all as the whole page rotates, and appears in a pillarboxed window, and the "zoomed" panel is even smaller than the unzoomed portrait image. And you can't do a pinch zoom on the full pages...

Whoever formatted this should take a look at the Kindle Comixology app; that gets the presentation of comics in a digital medium just perfect, and handles zooms, whole/double page spreads with style.

The formatting on this is just a complete mess. I'm glad I managed to pick this up when the price was greatly reduced in a sale; it's certainly not worth full whack, that's for sure.
on 31 December 2013
If you don't know the Ballad of Halo Jones already then you are missing out. It is at least a 4 1/2 star book and you should get yourself a copy. However, this version does not work on the Kindle.

I knew the book well enough to give it a go but I am very disappointed with the experience. The kindle app on my android tablet is just not fit for purpose when it comes to graphic novels.
The only option is full screen reading; it is impossible to zoom in on particular panels. This means that generally it is very difficult to read and you miss out on some of the wonderful details and nuances that Moore and Gibson put in, the very things that make this such a classic.

I've mislaid my kindle device itself but have previously had the same problem with illustrations in text books so I don't expect it to be any better. I thought I would be able to enjoy it on my PC monitor but when I try, I get the message that this is "not compatible with this device"

To recap: do yourself a favour and buy the book; don't try the kindle version.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
There are some things that you read or watch as a teenager that never leave you and may even help to shape you as a person....This comic is, for me, one of those things....I read it week by week in 2000 AD and loved it.....Halo Jones is a great role model and adventurer..... she needs to keep moving as she leaves the world of the Hoop.....not an easy thing to do....This is her ballad....the ballad of her life and adventure......I would recommend this to anyone.....Its a great tale of a working class hero who follows her dreams.....things don't always go well for Halo but she keeps moving....picking herself up and dusting herself off.....she will teach you that life is hard....but it is also an adventure to be tasted and explored.....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...... and the Kindle version works well enough on the I won't have to wear out my print copy.....
on 24 January 2014
I bought this copy as a result of really enjoying it in my teens. I haven't finished it yet, but the main reason for this review is that I was almost put off buying it by some reviewers. The size and print quality are fine, and bigger than the complete Judge Dredd books I've been reading, but easier to read. The cover is a strange choice, but that doesn't detract from anything.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2014
As mentioned in other two star reviews the story itself is worthy of four to five stars but the reading experience in Kindle format is dreadful.

Tried it on 7" and 10" Android tablets and an iPad Air and in all cases the lettering is hard to make out and double-tapping panels to zoom is hit and miss.

Annoyingly there's a large white border around each page that surely could have been cropped to increase the reading area.

As others have remarked, buy the dead tree version.
on 24 December 2013
The "Could be better" comment refers to the format, not to the artwork and story which is excellent. I'm just glad I have the original trade paperback because this Kindle version is disappointingly clunky and does not make for easy reading.

It does not allow the Kindle to use its zoom features so at times text is difficult to read, you have to click on panels to read some text and that is not always successful, eg the wrong panel gets picked up. There's no easy scrolling like with many comics/trade paperbacks.

It just seems like not a lot of effort has been made to adapt a great book into e-format - what a shame.
on 24 December 2013
What we have leaves you wanting more - the story of what she did when she went out. Just out.
on 2 April 2014
I have read watchmen, Loeg, swamp thing, supreme, etc. But I think this is my favourite work by moore. Just a really good story that takes place in a big setting but had a very tight focus on the lead and how she grows, ages, and are changes by the experiences she encounters. I would highly recommend this, shame he has copped a strip and won't continue the story.
on 27 December 2013
Great to be reminiscing about old stories. Difficult at times to read on kindle fire HD. Better when read in single panel (double tap) mode. Some panels were missed out when reading in this format, but story was still all there. As good as I remember it nearly 20 years ago.