5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing !!!
Ok, Life changing may sound extreme but its true...im more than happy to leave this review and I will explain why.

I have been going to the gym for about 12 months and when I say going to the gym i mean sometimes 4 times a week, sometimes 4 times a month, doing the same 3 set exercises and not making any gains....until I found this book!

Im 38 years...
Published 18 months ago by A. R. Bodie

2.0 out of 5 stars 40 BCAAs per workout... ok then
Who has time to have 40 capsules of BCAAs in one workout, and also who has the money to do that every day?! He got this body by training with professionals, all credit to Up Fitness though - if you've got £3-4k spare then join, or work for a fitness mag where you get loads of free things so brands get a mention in your magazine. It's all PR at the end of the day.
Published 8 months ago by Mr. I. Gill

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing !!!, 1 Jun 2013
A. R. Bodie - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) (Paperback)

Im 38 years old and when I looked at myself in the mirror I thought I looked ok but after looking at Joe's transformation i wanted to give this a go. I made a conscious decision that I would give this 12 week plan a really good go and see what I could do. I took a 'before' photo and it was only then I realised how bad I looked. Trust me... Mirrors lie, photo's don't !!

I took the time to read the book, ordered some supplements and told people what I was doing...a few people laughed and said good luck on that, I bet it doesn't last etc... Which only made me more determined.

For me,the fact that I was following a plan every time i went in the gym just worked... One of the most important factors i took from this book was technique when lifting, focusing on this rather than how much you can lift..which is what the majority of people seemed to be doing in my gym.
The exercises take you through different cycles focusing on variation of reps, weights, supersets etc.. All of which are key to keeping your body guessing and maximising gains.

For me the toughest part of this book was not the workouts,but the discipline in the kitchen. I really struggled trying to keep my protein intake at the max level of 4g per kilo of body weight and early on I wasn't even making the min 2g...it was only after week 8 I managed to find the right meal plans to achieve this. For the last 4 weeks i hit a min of 3g each day and I can honestly say this made a huge difference.
For a relatively new gym goer, with 2 young children i really had to plan my meals and stop eating my kids food. Not easy but if you want it bad enough you will do it.

I finished the 12 week plan 4 weeks ago and I am a completely different man now because of it. Not just in terms of how I look, but how I now view my diet, exercise and life in general.

I didn't really do the HIIT training to lose my stubborn belly fat ( which i really wish i did) I didn't really carb cycle, I had 4 nights out in the 12 weeks which were already planned in my diary which is some feat in itself if you knew me pre 12week plan. But overall i gave this a really good go and you can see my results on twitter if you so wish @bodieman

Since this book i have followed Nick and Joe as well as many other experts in the industry, I've asked questions, I've challenged and i am now following a different plan and will be waiting in anticipation for the 6wbp which is coming out soon. I am now fully dedicated to the gym, I eat healthy as do my family, I feel a million times better than I did before and I can't keep count of the amount of people who have stopped me and made comments. Some of my friends thought I'd photo shopped my 'after' photo's which says it all. I am 40 in 14 months time and I can't wait to take another photo on my birthday as I know it will be fantastic.

I did not end up looking like Joe BUT I started off at a much worse place. I started off at 25% body fat and ended up at 15% and I was thrilled with the results.

I see fitness experts offering 12 week plans for anything up to £300. This book is £8 and if you are committed to making a change this will be the best book you will ever buy.

Good luck !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book - detailed (and slightly long) review, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) (Paperback)
First and foremost if you believe this book is a revolutionary workout that is somehow superior to all the others then you are misleading yourself.
I say misleading yourself because the book doesn't claim it is anything revolutionary. It claims to be the workout used by Joe Warner for his 12 week transformation. And that is what it is. It never claims, as far as I have seen, to be new, revolutionary or superior. I wanted to get that out of the way as many people seem to cling on to these 12 week transformations as if buying the book will somehow be the magic fast track way to the body they want without the hard work or diet adherence.

Firstly the transformation. I don't want to take anything away from Warner or Mitchell - truth be told the result is very impressive. But those new to the training world should note - Joe Warner was not in quite as bad shape as the first picture illustrates in my opinion. The before photo is slouched, pale and unkempt. And the after photo is well groomed, pumped, well positioned, optimally lit and tanned. Is there anything wrong with this? No. In fact they openly admit to doing so in the book, detailing how you too can optimise your body for a photoshoot. Is it misleading to newbies...it could be argued yes if they have not followed the books build up. In my opinion this isn't an issue however it was just something worth noting for those who haven't followed the build up to the book.
This doesn't take away from the results, they are very impressive. Even when taking the week 4 photo as the before photo (which I believe would be a more realistic illustration of the start point, although Warner will have improved by this point) the difference between this and week 12 is nothing short of spectacular. However in this world of quick fixes the book may have gone unnoticed if the before and after pictures hadn't looked so extreme and this would have been a shame as it really is a worthwhile read. So I understand why they did this and to be honest see no real harm in it - I would do the same. It grabs attention and as noted they were honest about it. At the end of the day the end result doesn't lie, Joe looks in amazing shape. More muscular and very lean.

Now onto the book itself. The first point I would like to make is this book, in my opinion, is not for complete beginners - by this I mean people very new to the gym.
While the book gives detailed technique descriptions of each exercise, my experience is new trainees need a decent amount of time just practicing the lifts before they are apt enough to push themselves on them. Time needs to be taken to master the principle lifts like the Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press and Press before starting a program of this type. This doesn't mean you need years of lifting but I would suggest some time, 4 to 8 weeks or so, ideally with some coaching (however self coaching would be ok - lots of good lifting advice online) to become confident of the form of the lifts before starting the program - keep in mind Warner had the personal guidance of Nick Mitchell for his entire 12 week journey to make sure his form was on track. And from what I see in most gyms technique/form is lacking in general. Lifting is a skill that needs to be learned.
Another option for a complete beginner would be to follow the book with an experienced friend/trainer to keep check on their form.
Anyone with a bit of gym experience however can dive right in to the book - most of the exercises will be familiar.

Onto the program itself. Mitchell has gone to great lengths to break it down into understandable chapters, detailing each cycle in terms of aims, exercise selection, sets, rest, tempo. This is a welcome change to the usual "3 sets of 10 to 12 reps for 12 weeks".
Something that is worth noting is that the entire point of this book is to get you to look your best with the time you have (12 weeks) as Joe Warner did. And it geared towards that goal. It's not a strength or conditioning program. It's designed to radically improve your physique, adding muscle and stripping fat.
As stated above the program itself looks good. Very detailed and clearly explained. Each stage completely planned out. To rate it's worth in terms of results however one would need to carry out the 12 week program themselves, which I intend to do. Basing it on Warner's results the book very much delivers.
Something that may be a bit of an issue for some is exercise selection. Safety Squat Bars, Farmers Carry Bars and Sleds are not pieces of equipment that a lot of gyms have available. This is far from a be all and end all though and in my opinion these exercises can easily be substituted. Again this is something that a complete beginner will not likely be comfortable doing however most regular gym goers would have no problem with this.
When comparing it to books of a similar (or even much higher cost) there is a lot of detail for such a small book. It doesn't include any irrelevant or unnecessary information. Instead concentrating on the principles of Warner's transformation workout, which is what the reader wants.

On to diet and supplementation. I've noticed that a lot of people have claimed the diet advice is somewhat lacking in the book. Again I think this is something more applicable to a complete beginner. Mitchell does a pretty good job of explaining the principles he used for Warner's diet. Detailing carb cycling and when to introduce it and also explaining the depletion diet used to get photo shoot ready. So what's to complain about? Will someone buying this book as their sole diet resource be disappointed? Yes. Will someone with a basic understanding of diet and nutrition be disappointed? No. If you have a basic grasp of training nutrition the book details plenty of information for you to set up your own 12 week diet based on the principles. The only way for Mitchell to improve on this would be to write a specific diet for each reader, which just isn't feasible. In fact I applaud that level of honesty. I respect this over someone suggesting the finer details of diet and nutrition are not very individual because they are. The principles are what people need and that is what the books supplies - protein intake, food types, nutrition guidelines etc. Simply copying Warner's diet won't do - his calorie and carb intake will have been tailored to him specifically. So what to do? My suggestion to a beginner is to read some nutrition literature and then apply the principles outlined in the book to get the results.

Final point to note is Mitchell is offering anyone buying the book and willing to take the "12 Week Challenge" the ability to ask him questions once a week for nearly four months I believe. Credit where credit is due this is a great work. And for those with questions, queries or even complaints I say enter the competition, ask your questions, take the challenge and see where it takes you. If at the end you aren't satisfied with the results then make the point. Not before. You can't judge a workout without trying it in full.
Also many have commented "anyone could do that with a PT/a nutritionist/etc etc" implying without a PT the results are not attainable. To me that's a pretty defeatist attitude and in essence wrong. I see many people with a PT not make that kind of change in that time. And conversely people have changed their body on their own in much the same way Warner did by strictly following guidelines similar to those in this book. The book is the guide - you have to do the walking. Sure it's harder to follow it without the support and personal guidance that Warner had. So you'll just have to be dedicated. If you haven't got that dedication then the truth is you really shouldn't be relying on an £8 book and instead should be paying for the personal (or possibly online) guidance of a PT to get you there.

So to round up, for £8 the book is a bargain. Yes it lacks in some areas for a complete beginner. Yes it's been a little sensationalised in social media (and in the Daily Mail apparently - a paper many, including me, dislike). And yes it was a very impressive piece of marketing. However that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a good book at a good price. Don't expect it to blow you away with new information if you are not new to the training world. And don't expect it to be the only book you'll need to read if you are a complete beginner (though it could be if you read the rest of the background literature online). It is what it says - a book detailing how Warner changed his body in 12 weeks and the guidance for you to do the same. With the information included, the opportunity to question the writer himself once a week and the challenge it sets out, in my opinion it's £8 (or £10 now I believe) well spent. It's a little more than the cost of 2 magazines - when comparing it there is no competition, the book wins.

If you want to improve your physique in 12 weeks the book is a great buy. If you're a complete beginner get the basics first and then come back to the book when you're ready or get an experienced friend/trainer to help you start the book (probably worth buying the book now either way since it seems to keep selling out). If you're a slightly more experienced gym goer with some basic nutrition knowledge buy it, dive right it and take the challenge. In 12 weeks you'll likely be pleased with the results. Spray tan optional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest review !!!, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) (Paperback)
So I bought this book because I thought to be honest it wouldn't work and had never realy stuck to a workout plan for more than 2 weeks in the 8 years I have been a gym member. I bought the book and read it a few times before starting it. I started the workouts and followed the diet and honestly felt better after a week. I gave 100% to every rep of every set. I thought if I'm going to do this I'm going to do it properly diet and training for the full 12 week. It's not easy especialy the diet but for 12 weeks out of your life you can't ask for anymore. And for the £8 I spent on the book it will be the best £8 I will ever spend. If people have tried this plan or even just bought the book and not seen results to me you just haven't give it any effort in the gym or with the diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent programme, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) (Paperback)
Well designed excellent book, clear, simple, informative, easy to follow and actually works. Diet is difficult to stick to on shifts but with adjustments does work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well explained, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) (Paperback)
The book is detailed in all in the information needed prior to start the routine. Both the pictures and the text are easy to understand and very much to the point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) (Paperback)
This book is very good once you decided you ready for life style change. Very well explaind from what to eat what supplements to take when etc... One thing I was missing is how to strech after workouts but i guess is written to people already been to the gym. Very good book!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) (Paperback)
the best programme ever i am ripped as
easy to follow guide worth every penny really was a good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars best thing I've ever done, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) (Paperback)
I'm now 44 years young & have been doing all sorts of workouts/diets over the last 15 years, this 12 week body plan has given me the best looking & feeling body in all those years (& I still have 4 weeks to go).
Started at 77.7kg now 70kg after 8 weeks. Starting body fat 20.7% now 13.5%.
Greatly recommend, easy to follow & you must follow to get the results you want & no cheating.
The only dislike is what to do when I finish, but I believe Joe is in the process of a follow up book/mag

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent content, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) (Paperback)
I never bought this magazine with the intention of following the 12 weeks plan, I mainly just wanted good quality advise to help me get in the best shape of my life.
It's fairly thorough and has brilliant sections on exercises, diet and supplements.
I would highly recommend it for anyone looking to go to a gym and build muscle

5.0 out of 5 stars A1, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) (Paperback)
Gives every description of all excercises to be done.... it's broken down into simple english and also what supps and diet need to be follwed. very impressed!

Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health)
Men's Fitness 12 Week Body Plan (Mens Health) by Nick Mitchell (Paperback - 20 Dec 2012)