Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 May 2013
DIY Fashionista encourages you to rejuvenate your wardrobe in new and cost-effective ways, through refashioning items you already own and making low-cost pieces look high-end. The variety of the 40 projects is brilliant there is everything from how to draft your own simple shorts pattern from scratch to updating an old pair of boots with fabric inserts. Throughout the instructions are very easy to follow and each project is given a time frame, so before you even start you'll know if it's something you can do quickly before you walk out the door or if it'll take a couple of evenings. However most of the projects should take under an hour to make, so are perfect for those with busy lives, Geneva even makes the great suggestion of inviting your friends round to a DIY fashion party!I've made two projects from this book already and can't wait to start on some more!!
review image review image
on 18 November 2012
I am an avid reader of Geneva's blog and could not wait to get my hands on a copy of her debut book - DIY Fashionista. I was not disappointed. As with her blog, the book is beautifully presented, with 40 easy to follow projects on items that, if not in your wardrobe, are easily found in the local second hand shop. Even better is that the book identifies and clearly sets out all the skills, products and tips one needs to professionally DIY virtually anything! Have already organised numerous crafternoons to get my DIY on.
on 27 February 2014
This book is great for a start out novice dressmaker to customise clothes and shoes etc

A lot of the projects are freely available on line so unless you want something tangible in your hands its not a must have buy.

As a dressmaker I found the book lacking slightly but that's because of my skills I guess rather the book itself. I did find the book inspiring though, nice photos and a good read. It is just a shame we don't have the endless supply of thrift shops as in the UK charity shops are lacking in general!
on 4 December 2014
I have bought this for my 14 year old daughter who is really into fashion and buying vintage clothes. We have bought her a sewing machine this year for Christmas, she is a complete novice. This book is excellent for a beginner as it shows step by step, in picture, what to do to achieve the end result. Some great ideas in there for a teen (not so sure about anyone over 20) but a really really nice book. I think it's great to give you inspiration to go on to making your own ideas and creations. My daughter will love it .
on 24 February 2013
My niece absolutely loved this a great idea it was a great find for a christmas stocking pressie, thankyou Fashionista
on 29 May 2013
Loved her blog when I saw it, most of the stuff in the blog is actually in this book, so a lot of it is repeated if you are an avid follower of the blog.
Some very good ideas, and inspirational, probably a good idea for someone who hasn't got a sewing machine, as she suggests a fair bit of hand stitching and some easy steps.

A good buy.
on 30 September 2013
this book can probably be perfect for someone with no clue on how to do things but for everybody else is a waste of money!most of projects are very basic and not very creative (maybe there are just a couple of projects that i would do) but if you really don t have any idea is a good point to start.
on 20 May 2013
One day I just came over Geneva's blog "A pare & a spare", which inspired me a lot. She seemed like a girl who knew what she was doing, and her look was young, modern and laidback but still fantastic!
After a few months I took the chance of buying her book, and it fulfiled all my expectations!
"DIY Fashionista" is the perfect book for every young girl, who wants to update her wardrobe. By following Geneva Vanderzeils tips and easy understandable how-to pictures, you can get the hippest style in your neighbourhood! And the best is: it's eco-friendly!
This is the perfect book for recycling-loving fashionistas!
on 4 July 2013
This book is great! I spent a lot of time trailing the blog itself so when I saw there was a book I thought it was a worthy purchase. I wasn't disappointed and look forward to many rainy Sunday crafanoon's!
on 30 August 2013
This book is full of great DIY ideas that are easy to follow, its really nicely laid out with plenty of pictures. Very inspirational and you don't need much, its more about customising what you have.