4.0 out of 5 stars A bit lower tension although still exciting Silo world
"Dust" by Hugh Howey is the third part of Silo Trilogy, SF dystopian series in some way similar to the Hunger games series.

Therefore this novel should be looked as part of a whole, and certainly is recommended to read the first two parts of series before its read.
Its two prequels introduced readers to underground Silo where remained human...
Published 13 months ago by Denis Vukosav

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the third and Im disapointed
I was a little disappointed in this book the third in the series, the others kept me gripped right the way through. This one felt like the author took the money and ran, in comparison to the others I felt the plot line was weak and went nowhere. This is not a stand alone book, you need to read the others first. I was so looking forward to it that I paid a lot for it, my...
Published 13 months ago by Ginger Witch

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A relative recommended this series to me and I wasn't disappointed, 4 Dec 2014
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Paperback)
A relative recommended this series to me and I wasn't disappointed.

The first books from this author I've read but I have to say they won't be the last. I loved every word of all three of the books, could not put them down. The end was both satisfying and frustrating at the same time - frustrating because I didn't want it to end. I'd got to know the characters and wanted to see what happened next to them. I thought about it for days after, making my own scenarios about what might happen next, I didn't want to let the characters go.

Fabulous books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Nov 2014
I loved the twists and turns in this book. couldn't put it down. Thought Juliettes character was strong and inspiring. Will nos read the rest of Hugh Howeys works.

2.0 out of 5 stars Part 3 of a 2 part series, 2 Dec 2014
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Paperback)
A terrible book simply cashing in on the success of the previous two (good books). Wool was amazing but it should have been left there. Shift not so amazing but OK.Dust terribly dull.Just over half way through and about to give up on it. Is anything interesting going to happen? Maybe it should have been called Yawn? Such a shame that the inevitable modern day curse of all books having to be written in threes took hold of the author (no, maybe it should have been called Greed). Don't ruin the previous books by trying to read this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good... but feel a little let down..., 3 Oct 2013
Read them all. Loved them all. Wool episode 1 blew me away...

The reason for not awarding 5 stars: It felt short and rushed.

There I've said it. Feels good to get it off my chest.

If you look back over all the books there are much less important elements of the story given many many more pages... in this book huge events are covered in little more than a paragraph... like I said, in my opinion and comparing it to the other episodes it seems short and rushed.

But of course you must buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ho hum, 24 Aug 2014
Couchgrouch (Birmingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Paperback)
Reviewing the trilogy as whole, I was a bit disappointed really. Book 1 was good, which led me to book 2. Book 3 as the tie-in between the other two books just failed to excite me, leaving me indifferent about the whole series.

The only character I had any real sympathy for was Solo. The rest I just couldn't work up any enthusiasm for. All the male characters (even Solo sometimes) were extremely weak, apart from the inevitable baddy the Thaw Man.

As for the basic storyline (SPOILER) the old 'we thought the poison was on the outside but it's on the inside' is old I'm afraid; see Logan's Run, Amtrak Wars to name two off the top of my head.

There are so many things I could point my finger at and say 'that doesn't make sense' but I will spare you the moans. Plenty of people seem to like it so I will leave it at that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing..., 9 Nov 2014
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Paperback)
The Wool trilogy is an absolutely wonderful story, just superb! As a big sci-fi fan I've read hundreds of great books and it's genuinely a pleasure to find a young author writing today that appears one day to be worthy of joining the ranks of the greats (Herbert, Clarke, Asimov, Dick, Halderman, et al ). Brilliant emotive writing, a story that will live forever in your mind and characters that you genuinely care about...

3.0 out of 5 stars not as well paced at all as the previous two ..., 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) (Paperback)
not as well paced at all as the previous two books. Ive put it down a few times in the last few months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying end to the best trilogy I have read in years, 20 Oct 2014
I loved the world of 'Wool' from the opening pages and was encaptured by the whole silo idea. I enjoyed this book more than the previous one maybe because it was based back in the silos. This was such a cleverly crafted trilogy. I'm sad that I have finished them and will struggle to find another book that captures my interest as much as these did. And I'm not a huge sci-fi fan either.

2.0 out of 5 stars First two books were good, this one is slow, 16 Jan 2014
The first two books were quite interesting but this third one is very slow. The story trudges along at a very predictable pace and there is no thrill in the story. Because the first 2 books were written at a very lively pace, you were always hooked but the third book allows the reader to reflect on the plot and you increasingly realise how unlikely it is and how it just doesn't hang together. Characters in the book become caricatures that have paper thin personalities. You feel quite annoyed with the lack of human depth to some of them. I struggled to complete this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars The trilogy crumbles to dust, 12 Mar 2014
MisterHobgoblin (Melbourne) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Wool was surprisingly inventive and engaging. Shift gave an interesting backstory. And realistically, given where Wool left off, there was only one direction the trilogy could go. And it goes there.

Dust is slow. The depth of characterisation seems to have disappeared - we have to take it on faith (or memory of Wool) that Juliette has a personality and that we care about her. But, alas, she seems to have become a generic heroine on a mission - much activity, mostly illogical and counterproductive - but very little reason to care about it. We meet Solo, Lukas, Donald and Charlotte from Wool and/or Shift and Hugh Howey helpfully reminds us of those story lines. But this also reminds us that Dust is a pale shadow of the previous novels, entirely driven by the breathless (bad) plot. Characters who had been integral to the story are treated as disposable; and new characters are created for the sole purpose of being cannon-fodder. The result just feels chaotic.

The novel does tie up loose ends. But these were largely knots that had been implied by the two previous novels. Somehow putting it down in black and white diminishes the impact. It's always a risk to start out with a self-contained world and then set it in a wider context, and in Dust, the wider context really causes some of the basic premises to crumble. For example, the silo with endless stairs and no lift is enigmatic and intriguing. But giving a logical explanation for it just makes it seem less plausible. Although I liked Shift, I can't help feeling that it created a need for a third novel that has undermined the series. With hindsight, it might have been better to leave things with Wool.

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3)
Dust: (Wool Trilogy 3) by Hugh Howey (Hardcover - 24 Oct 2013)