Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos

4.7 out of 5 stars1,694

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 January 2014
Having just completed reading the Kindle version of `David Jason: My Life,' I feel that I have spent an enjoyable last few days in the company of the man himself (and what a fascinating character he turned out to be!)

Consequently I now have a good understanding of what he is about and how he became the renowned professional comedy actor that he eventually did.

The behind-the-scenes decision makings in relation to the shows, with which he was involved, are particularly interesting.

So too are David Jason's references to characters, with whom he interacted at various points in his career, most of whom I can recall myself, as they relate to a period in television and theatrical history with which I am familiar. (Other readers less familiar with these times may not find this aspect of the book quite so interesting.)

There are some amusing anecdotes; many of which relate to practical jokes that the author had been instrumental in setting up during his working life. Others refer to occasions when things did not go according to plan and reveal a man who is able to laugh at himself in times of adversity, whilst philosophically regarding the unfortunate incidents as learning experiences.

In contrast there are also moments of sadness in the author's life, which are described with sensitivity and compassion and serve to allow the reader to empathise with him and gain a closer understanding of what kind of person he really is.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would not hesitate in recommending it to others.
on 9 April 2014
I really like David Jason, mainly for his character Del Boy Trotter and I was intrigued to learn more about this talented man's life, where he began, what inspired him and how he got to where he is today.

David's style of writing was excellent and I really enjoyed reading about his family and his exploits from his younger days. What a genuine and humble man he is. He shared his highs and lows and it was great to be able to find out a little more about what makes him tick. One of the best autobiographies I've had the pleasure to read.
on 19 July 2014
As an OFAH fan, I was compelled to buy this and have one chapter to go at the time of writing. Was gutted that I was in London at the Waterstones he was due to be in to sign his book the day after I was there. One of the few famous people I would actually want to meet and I get to really feel an insight of the man. Found out I too have similarities to him being half Welsh and originally from North London, but that is where the similarities end as he is of course one of the best actors of our time. Also a fan of his work in Open all Hours but not so much Touch of Frost, but then this again was also interesting in the way that Touch of Frost was his idea that he pitched to TV Producers and reading about his experiences as an electrician and jobbing all over the world and his difficult relationship with certain actors like Leslie Phillips shows the struggles that he had to really get artistic fame for those loveable characters that stand the test of time. Also interesting how his professional career has been influenced by Ronnie Barker whom he called 'the guvnor' and helped others in return like 'Catherine Zeta Jones'.
Would highly recommend to any OFAH fan or any of his programmes and also those who get inspiration from those who never give up especially after going through a cancer ordeal with his wife. Full of highs and lows. A page turner that will almost make you feel like you are having a pint with the man.
on 30 October 2013
This is really well written. I was almost sad to finish this, but almost felt as though David was my friend and I knew him well.
There are some lovely photos, reinforcing his memories and extending his family.
I have always found Mr. Jason entertaining, but also sensitive during interviews. To know how content he is with his life now is just wonderful.
I recommend this as a must read for anyone who likes David Jason. My husband is currently half way through this and is equally as enthused.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 July 2014
This was one of the most interesting & enjoyable auto-biographies that I have read for a long time.

David Jason is pretty much the chap next door, always has been & I suspect that he always will be. This is a light-hearted trip through his life which is amusing, easy to read and entertaining. He gives credit where credit is due and avoids any malicious & nasty comments about anyone. Criticism of other people is mild & usually followed up later with a positive comment. David Jason manages to keep his private life relatively private but without leaving the reader feeling excluded or as if they are missing out. I also liked the fact that he was quite prepared to be self critical as required.

I have read celebrity auto-biographies in the past and been left with the feeling that I would never want to meet that person. I left this book feeling as if I would quite like to meet this person but with a weather eye out for a practical joke! The David Jason you see on TV is the chap in the book & I have no doubt the chap in real life. Although his life isn't full of amazing and stunning experiences it is interesting. His early years in amateur dramatics and training as an electrician were interesting as well as amusing. This is a book which I would quite happily recommend to anyone & indeed have already done so!
on 14 January 2014
A great read from one of Britain's best-loved actors. In had previously read another biography of David Jason, written by someone else, and I thought that was great at the time. However in this book, David himself tells his story and actually tells it correctly (some of the facts in the other book I read were totally incorrect it seems, after reading this book).

The early chapters were fascinating for me; his upbringing, his first few years as a jobbing actor. Obviously where it really gets going is when we get into the Open All Hours, Porridge, Only Fools & Horses, Danger Mouse etc. era. One of the most interesting things for me was finding out why the Only Fools Christmas Special 'A Royal Flush' had no laughter track. I'd always wondered about that.

Some people have said that he doesn't go into that much detail about Only Fools, but there are some nice anecdotes about larking around with Lennard Pearce, Nick Lyndhurst and Buster Merryfield. He could have gone into more about it - he could agve written a whole book about his Only Fools & Horses experience, but to be honest he's probably recounted details of this period in countless interviews and in other books specifically about that series.

This is the story of his life, and it's been a great read. Thoroughly recommended.
on 2 January 2014
Mmmm... Well considering we have waited so long for Sir David Jason to actually write his own personal view of his life and career I must say I was a little disappointed with this book. I cannot really blame the author for the final product as it was really the work of the publisher and proof reader but I found it just did not flow and jumped around quite a lot .

I am a huge fan of the characters and works of David Jason but not to keen on him personally ( and yes I have had first hand experience of this ) I found like most people of his standing in the world of entertainment he is rather too private to really write his own true account book and having read it I can see so many gaps in his career.
However, like all stars the need for publicity is always greater than anything else when it suits them ( following many TV / Radio appearances to promote his book ) following these I cannot completely understand how he can choose when and where he wishes to be private?

I am rather glad I only spent £4 on the Kindle version and not £20 on the hardback . I can imagine for all the anorak die hard fans of Sir David Jason /OFAH / Open All Hours etc this is the Holy Grail for them but for me I can see it being the next £2.99 book bin fodder at "The Works " .......
on 24 November 2013
I am not a dedicated fan of David Jason - or anyone really - but do enjoy a good biography to read. David Jason's writing style is clear and witty, and he is perfectly sincere in his ability to mock himself, as well as others, in a good natured way. He mentions the famous, but is able to do so without sounding like a fawning actor. He comes across as very down to earth, funny and genuine. A good read that made me laugh out loud on several occasions.
on 12 January 2014
David Jason is an unassuming man, genial and not without his confidence issues. He comes across, however, as a man who I could happily chat with over tea, and is very generous in his summation of others.

His acting career took a while to blossom but boy, what a body of work. How he has made us laugh over those years! And now his autobiography does the same.

The most alarming thing is how many times he has almost died and/or visited A&E! Its is very lucky for him and us that he has survived such injuries. Still, being a very physical comic actor, maybe it comes with the job.

David doesn't write too much about his private life, the focus being more on his profession output, and I have to say that is refreshing. He does describe briefly about his partner Myfanwy Talog's illness and death, but we move swiftly on. Now happily living with his wife Gill and daughter Sophie, he tries to keep all that away from public eye. In an age when we know what Katie Price had for breakfast, I don't believe this to be a bad thing.

Overall, a good read. The last 15 years was dealt with very swiftly, but other than that, it was a very entertaining and funny book.
on 30 October 2013
David Jason makes no bones about the fact he was a untrained actor as he takes you through his career just sheer talent and determination took him to the place he is today He doesn't give too much detail of his personal life but concentrates on his professional highs and lows but his social class and humble beginnings shine through all the way I really enjoyrd this book as I have always enjoyed his acting