4.0 out of 5 stars Another ripping yarn, 31 Jan 2014
Alison Morton (France) - See all my reviews
Having enjoyed A Rip in the Veil, I was a little anxious about whether this sequel would be as good. I needn’t have worried. In fact, I think I liked it better! The relationship between Alex and Matthew is developing nicely, stabilising as they add to their family. All the good guys and bad guys are there, both the addition of some exceedingly unsavoury new bad guys.

Occasionally, I wanted to shout “Noooo!” as either Alex or Matthew (mostly Matthew!) did something silly, but that “something” usually racked up the suspense which was deliciously tense throughout. The harshness of the 17th century colonial America for indentured - read slave - labour was grimly described: meagre rations, gruelling, long days of work, beatings and ground-in indifference reminded me of accounts of 1930/40s Nazi Germany.

The timeslip story adds another layer and allows us to engage well with Alex. I hope it’s not a spoiler, but I thought Isaac’s visit was a little short and would have liked to have seen him stranded until the next book, but that’s a personal niggle. The writing is vivid and succinct, drawing you on inexorably to the next chapter. Ms Belfrage, I will be reading your next book very soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very, very, readable, 23 Sep 2013
Helen Hollick "H." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Exciting. Intriguing. Interesting. Enjoyable. Well researched. Well written.
Can't really add to that - apart from what an excellent read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Johan, 2 July 2013
After having read the first novel, I was looking forward to the second book in the series, and I was not disappointed. The characters are by now "part of your family" and it feels good to meet with them once again. Where I am normally not very fond of sci-fi or supernatural kind of stories, Anna Belfrage is using this with care, never letting it take to much room in the stories.

As the characters and story are as fascinating as they are, I immediately bought the third book as well and I am looking forward to dig into it on my vacation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sir Read-A-Lot's Review, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Like Chaff in the Wind (Paperback)
Timeslip novels are tricky things to get right. Many historical novel purists are reticent to read them as they push the genre to its limits, others enjoy them as they try to bring freshness and new direction. I am normally one of the purists; I like timeslip and science fiction but to reconcile them into a historical fiction setting is normally off-putting, but "Like Chaff in the Wind" is so well-written, I concede defeat!

Anna Belfrage creates characters that jump off the page and the multi-era storyline is superbly crafted. She portrays the desolation and fear of the protagonists as they fight to survive a situation not of their making and as Alex's modern day life threatens to intervene and stop her from saving Matthew, you find yourself not actually being aware of reading a timeslip novel - but just a very good novel.

This is a saga with a previous chapter and it would benefit the reader to have read the first novel in the series, but if like me you haven't the story is still enjoyable. Anna Belfrage is definitely a novelist to watch. Once again, an independent author demonstrates that the industry is one filled with talent and that they ares not afraid to challenge the sensibilities of genre fiction.

I award "Like Chaff in the Wind" 4 Crosses!

Like Chaff in the Wind
Like Chaff in the Wind by Anna Belfrage (Paperback - 1 Mar 2013)
7.20