5.0 out of 5 stars envious and going green
Published on 10 April 2011 by Bob Denman

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong on flora and fauna
Bearback, not to be confused with bearbacking which is entirely different, is a 519 page account of a 100,000 mile journey around the world two up on an ageing BMW - a 1991 R100GS with a 43.5 litre fuel tank (10L more that the current 1200GS). Its one of a pleasingly growing number of bike-travel books. They are all different. Some are undeniably well-written, like Ted...
Published on 1 April 2011 by M. Traynor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars envious and going green, 10 April 2011
There have been a lot of motorcycle travel books with Ted Simons starting it all with "Jupiters Travels" and until now no one had improved on his work. "Bearback" has set a new standard and is simply the best I have read, and I have read a great deal as I'm planning my own trip. Well done to Pat & Ness for such a wonderfull journey and account of their experience. It's very kind of them both to let us share what it is like to explore by motorcycle.

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read, 10 Mar 2011
I picked up this book with some trepidation fearing a much-extended version of those descriptions of exotic travels abroad that one receives with some Christmas cards. Was I going to be bored, irritated or downright jealous? In fact I was none of these (well, perhaps a little of the last). It was a combination of travelogue, personal experience and reflection that was exciting, humorous, thought-provoking and inspiring. I couldn't put it down.

To undertake such a journey requires courage, resourcefulness and determination. Just when I thought the writer was sounding a little (justifiably) self-satisfied at his achievement he redressed the balance with a self deprecating remark or humble observation. His sense of wonder at the natural world and his optimism about humankind raised my spirits. Yes, he has been incredibly lucky to have the opportunity, the means, the fitness and above all the companionship of a soul-mate but he fully acknowledges this. He has lived a dream and reveled in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 2 Jan 2011
What an incredible journey, through some of the most amazing places on our planet. A thoroughly enjoyable book which combines in an easy going way a mix of the journey, some history and the authors own thoughts, often those little gems that come to mind but never reach paper. Its also a very honest book in all ways, which is most refreshing. I also liked the pace, never dwelling too long on any part, a whistlestop tour but really just right given the extent of their travels. A most compelling read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bearback, 3 Mar 2011
What a fabulous adventure that just made me want to give up work and start travelling today. A beautifully written book that was full of excitement, drama and even romance. I loved all the incidental historical, political and geographical information that really gave me a fuller picture of each country they travelled through. Laos and Costa Rica are now top of my visiting list. I would love to read a sequel with more about their further travels in Africa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come along for the ride..., 14 Dec 2010
The physical and practical hardships of the travelling described in this book are not something that most of us would ever want to take on. But, beautifully written, it puts you in touch with the human side. You're taken places but, most of all, you meet the people (including the author and his wife).
Now, the emotional journey, that's something we can all relate to. Right from the start, you're invited along and made to feel welcome. He shares his views and feelings but it is all simply offered up as food for thought. Whether to travel or just think, you will be inspired!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 8 Mar 2012
What a fantastic inspiring read ! This is a superbly written book that takes you to places we all dream off. If this book does not inspire you to dust off the bike and point the wheels at the horizon I don't know what will.

5.0 out of 5 stars stands apart, 23 Nov 2011
Brilliant. Initially daunted by the size of the book I was continually surprised that the story flowed so well between each adventure. extremely well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Motorcycle Travel Book, 24 Aug 2011
I always enjoy a good travel book, and this exceeded all the expectations from the blurb. The passion of motorcycling is on every page, even the parts of the journey where the bike could not take or give any more.

There is plenty of detail in the areas that they travel to, so you have a good feel for the landscape and the people. There are one or two hairy moments, just as you would expect from travelling that far in that many countries, but they are normally welcomed with curiosity and friendship.

Interesting book, well worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a relaxing holiday read, 16 Mar 2012
Bearback is an extremely inspirational read, having read numerous similar motorcycle travel books this is defiantly a quality, heavy weight of a book. The book is a very good combination of day to day travel, history, geography but also social comment with wider thoughts on life's bigger picture. Although being over 500 pages long it is naturally broken down into manageable section, the two of most interest for me were through Africa and South / Cental America, which mirror motorcycle journeys undertaken by Lois Pryce whose books are also to be recommended. I read the book while on holiday and it was the perfect escape from my normal daily routine. The problem now is that I am wishing for the kids to grow up so I can set off on my own extender overland adventure, I can not however see my wife joining me on the back of the bike for 4 years with 3 pairs of knickers to her name!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't you wish you could too!, 12 July 2011
Written by a couple of enthusiastic travellers who happen to be GP's to pay for their trips, the book gives us an enjoyable insight into the fantastic variety of our world. A good balance of story and opinion for the armchair traveller and detail for those who might dare to follow in their wheel tracks.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Bearback: The World Overland
Bearback: The World Overland by Dr. Pat Garrod (Paperback - 14 Dec 2012)