5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!
I started reading this book with a bit of a doubt. I have never read any books about time travelling before and to be honest, I was a bit sceptic about it.

Published 14 months ago by Linnea

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Average
Published 8 months ago by L. M. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: A Rip in the Veil (Paperback)

I was proven wrong. I was blown away and sucked into this world Alexandra lives in, and the one she left behind as well! There is always something you want to find out about which makes you read the book for hours at night, even when you are so tired you can barely keep your eyes open! The book felt so realistic to me that when I put the book away during a dark and sad time in the book, I was still affected and kept on thinking about what was going on in the book even when I wasn't reading. You cannot read the book without making a movie in your head showing what is happening in the book.

This book gives you the dark truth about the struggles of living in a time so far away from what we are living in today. The author manages to bring in many very interesting facts about the history - what was going on in Scotland at the time and how they dealt with normal day-to-day life.
There is always something interesting going on, and sometimes I was so involved in the book that the bad things happening to Alexandra made me feel like they were happening to myself. But all the bad things that are happening are (from what I can guess) not some sort of "action" writing to make it interesting, it was probably what life back then was like. You had to fight for your safety, your honour and your family.

And the love between Alexandra and Matthew... all I can say is that I don't look at love the way I did before. The authour has managed to describe so beautifully what it feels like when you really love someone. Every stroke, every hug, every kiss - you feel the love with them.

If you have read time travelling before, this is definitely the book for you. If you haven't, believe me that it is going to change your mind!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Average, 14 Aug 2013
L. M. Wilson "korcula blue" (Redcar, Cleveland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Rip in the Veil (Kindle Edition)
I quite liked the sound of this book and the reviews were generally very good, so as a lover of books re time travel I decided to buy it. I found it quite interesting for a while but as the story progressed, I found myself skipping pages. The plot slowed down and became just a series of encounters with soldiers or groups of men bent on killing, theft and rape, lots of arguments and making up between the two main characters, far too much graphic violence which worsened and the continual unnecessary explicit sex.I quite simply became more and more bored. The repeated observations that the ex wife Margaret and the new wife were alike enough to be sisters seemed contrived and odd. I persevered until the end which seemed to just peter out, but won't be bothering with the second and third book. Disappointingly average and not a patch on Diana Gabaldon's superb series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative time travel!, 23 Oct 2012
P. C. Fenton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Rip in the Veil (Paperback)
When Alexandra Lind somehow falls through a portal in time and ends up in 1658 in Scotland, she can't believe it and nor can she see a way back to the future. Everything looks bleak and impossible, but she has the good fortune to be rescued by a Scotsman who sets her pulses racing almost from their first meeting. But Matthew Graham is on the run, having escaped from prison (where he'd been sent after being falsely accused) and his younger brother will stop at nothing to send him back or to the hangman's noose. As for Alex, she has to either adapt to her new circumstances or die. Can they both succeed in achieving their goals? I enjoyed finding out!

Fast-paced and with a wonderful cast of characters, as well as a very unusual (and innovative!) take on time travel, this is a great story. If you like time travel and hunky Scotsmen, then this novel is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 19 Sep 2012
This review is from: A Rip in the Veil (Paperback)
This book has everything needed to provide an enjoyable read at the airplane, the too crowded bus or in bed. It will keep you reading at pavements and well after midnight. Good storyline that keeps evolving through the entire book and never gets boring. Beliveable and lovable characters with distinctive characteristics and flaws. But most of all a terrific love story. I strongly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read, 6 April 2014
Helen Hollick "H." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This timeslip series by Anna Belfrage is one to savour and enjoy. Each story is a stand-alone, but I would recommend starting at the beginning and working your way through - you've a delight in store!

4.0 out of 5 stars A time- travel novel, 17 Mar 2014
On a stormy August day in 2002, Alexandra Lind is thrown several centuries backwards in time. She lands at the feet of Matthew Graham - an escaped convict making his way home to Scotland in this the year of our Lord, 1658.
This story may remind you of the Outlander series, but it is an enjoyable read in its own right. Alex has left behind a father, a husband and a three-year-old son with whom she never bonded because he was a child of rape. Her complex life includes a mother who appears to be both an artist and a witch, and her paintings drag the observer into time travel.
Mathew and Alex slowly bond, but he too has a host of problems to face, not least being that soldiers will hang him if they catch him. There is no love lost between himself and his brother, Luke, who betrays him more than once. Alex struggles to come to terms with running a household in the seventeenth century while avoiding one of her mother’s enemies who would think nothing of killing her to get what he wants. The historical details are carefully woven into the story so they don’t become burdensome, and if you enjoy this story, there are more stories about the Grahams for your enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars time travel book, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: A Rip in the Veil (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. a time travel book showing the differences in living at that time and in the present day. storyline good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced, enjoyable and satisfying, 15 Nov 2013
Alison Morton (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Rip in the Veil (Kindle Edition)
I warmed to the quick-witted Alex, some of her dialogue made me smile, and I sympathised with how she found herself stranded with no skills appropriate to her new environment.

The writing good and snappy, with original and intelligent dialogue. Historical detail was deftly placed and the characters lived naturally within their worlds and times. A good range of secondary characters made the story more complex and layered - another way of taking this book out of the ordinary. The villains are well-drawn as are Alex's parents; contemporaries in the modern age, John and Diane, less so.

The plot had plenty of twists and turns, but it flows very well and I liked the significance of the paintings. As there are other books in the series, I have to hope that Alex an Matthew survive for a while to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop reading, 2 July 2013
This review is from: A Rip in the Veil (Kindle Edition)
I found this a very enjoyable read. The pace was high, the characters likeable and the historical context was well-depicted. Definitely a book I would recommend - especially as an entertaining holiday read.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Rip in the Veil review for the HNS, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: A Rip in the Veil (Paperback)
This review also appears on the Historical Novel Society website, and was commissioned and edited according to their guidelines.

A Rip in the Veil is an historical romance set in 1658, with a twist: the female protagonist, Alexandra, unwillingly travels back in time to Scotland from the twenty-first century, bringing with her all the assurance of a modern woman.

The cover of the book repeats visually the literal meaning of the title and is functionally effective and well-designed. The colours in particular mesh well together and evoke a sense of mystery. The overall appearance and text distribution is absolutely professional.

The story flows easily, one twist after the other, with a wide array of characters and two well-rounded, if flawed, villains. It's always difficult to recreate an historical period, but the background setting of the Scottish political and religious unrest of the late 1600s is nicely entwined with the more romantic and fictional events of the narrative.

Ignoring some inconsistencies in the language and a somewhat cliché feisty heroine, the readers can easily let themselves be carried through the temporal time slips and enjoy a well-plotted story of curses, witches, time travel, and magical paintings, along with the budding romance between Alexandra and Matthew, a Scot of his time.

ARRAY(0xa3c1c114)

A Rip in the Veil
A Rip in the Veil by Anna Belfrage (Paperback - 1 Aug 2012)
6.42