5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Tale
I'm not normally a reader of travel books and having seen the project planned, sponsored and made with a tv crew trips, I thoight this sort of story had been well told. But Graham's tale is much more than that. This is a funny, poignant, thought provoking and thougherly inspirational story of a genuine adventure in (what we believe is) a modern world.
If you are a...
Published on 29 Jun 2012 by Sprint 1050

3.0 out of 5 stars Good bad and indifferent.
I read this book while laid on a beach in the Dominican Republic, the sky was perfect blue, the sea crystal clear, the sand golden yellow. Why have I mentioned that? Well because I was in paradise but this book made me feel soooo negative. It starts off with him saying how he can't do with people who plan trips cos he prefers to just do the trip without planning. That's...
Published 15 months ago by Hilts

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Tale, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: In Search of Greener Grass (Paperback)
If you are a motorcycle rider and if, like me, you have attempted journeys of reasonable distance you will connect with Graham's quirky but practicle approach to over coming obstacles. If you are some who likes the notation of travelling into somewhat unknown territory and situations, albeit with a little advance planning (or Russian maps) and finding that human spirit and kindness still matter more (to some) than material things, then you will enjoy this book. I particularly enjoyed the issues with group dynamics and what to do if you find your travelling companions a pain in the ass - been there done that.
This was a motor cycling and literary highlight of a dismal British summmer so far for me.
Having met Graham I know that another trip is in the planning stage and if that is recorded in print with the same passion and humour as this one it will be a book I look forward to reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different, common sense triumphs over technology, 23 May 2012
Drob (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Search of Greener Grass (Paperback)
Question: How much use is a map you cannot read?

Answer: Very! As the author will reveal....

Having dreamt of doing a trip like this, this book has been both a revelation and an inspiration. One man, heading off alone to ride to Mongolia on a very second hand motorbike, no "back up", significant language barriers, no GPS but a series of maps (one of which he cannot even read!) and a lot of determination and common sense. This tale depicts both the journey itself, and at the same time is an honest and introspective account about such an embarkation. The author is clearly passionate about two wheels and about experiencing new cultures and meeting new people.
This book is brutally honest about both the highs and lows of this epic adventure, both relating to the welfare of the bike, but more endearingly, the emotional responses along the way. As the pages turn one gets a sense of the individuality of the author, a character I feel I can easily relate to.
If you are at all interested in travel and adventure, I highly recommend this book. It is refreshingly different, with many a spark of humour thrown in for good measure.
And the total cost, including bike, was less than the price of a fully kitted 7 year old BMW R1200GS! Amazing

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 31 Dec 2013
I have read many bike travel books and 'In Search of Greener Grass' ranks amongst the best of this genre. Graham has an eloquent writing style and imparts his experiences, feelings and observations on life that he discovers on the trip in a way that kept me always wanting to read the next chapter before putting the book down. He also has great musical tastes and was a 'proper' biker before undertaking this trip.
Ogri

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing - funny - thought provoking - interesting - informative... you get the idea!, 23 Jun 2012
Jay (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
I so loved this book. Graham Field has managed to capture the essence of real adventure in this epic tale of epic mileage on an old eBay bargain bike. His story telling abilities blend seamlessly with his very real talent for description; I could well imagine the environment he was writing about at any time in the book. I particularly liked the way the book flowed and the occasional departure in to the author's thoughts on things non travel/motorcycle related are funny and relevant. I have read and re-read the passage on Health and Safety 'officials' and it makes me laugh out loud every time.

The last Paragraphs in the book a beautifully written and... well... inspiring. Thank you Graham for a tremendous antidote to 2012's Great British 'summer'.

Jay - UK

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is a trip and not an ego trip, 28 May 2012
This review is from: In Search of Greener Grass (Paperback)
This book is a trip and not an ego trip.
Giving the author 4 stars instead of 5 is my way of keeping him with his pen poised and ready to continue writing, as he should. Maybe you'll just give him 5 and be done with it. Read on and find out why.
Regular travel books these days range from the sublime to the pathetic. The range of specific motorcycle travel books has increased to where it now truly crosses over into the realm of regular travel books. This is a book about travel that happens to include a motorcycle, not just a motorcycle travel book.
So why is this important? I enjoyed this book because it fills in a lot of the gaps, the empty spaces that reside between arriving in destination x, y, and/or z, the places along the road that really do make up the journey.
Too many motorcycle travel books are tied up in making the author out to be a: hero, introspective guru, a lightning rod for cultures (though subjective analysis abounds usually), a sage expert in two wheeled travel, and/or some oddball mix of these. Graham Field presents a refreshingly glib and thought provoking look at travel and he does it from the seat of his motorcycle, the floor of a yurt, the edge of a cliff or two, the deeper part of a river crossing, and countless chairs in roadside eateries that offer fare from the delicious to the suspicious.
It is a flowing mix of details, thoughts, pithy random observations, and provocative paragraphs that will keep you reading and feeling like you are part of the "ride".
For regular travel book fans there is plenty here, ranging from a peculiar small black thing that happened to slip down a very foul hole in India and why anyone would bother to chase it, to an insider's "been there and done that" view of the accuracy of some travel guides that tend to embellish things a little too much. For motorcyclists, it is just plain fun to read, the trials and tribulations of the tent and camping, lost and found treasures in the panniers, and what it means to be a motorcyclist in some places that are off the beaten track. The comings and goings of temporary travel companions that range from the retentive to the really, really retentive.
It is probably not the way that many would choose to visit Mongolia, starting by going on a TV game show!
If you are a motorcyclist, by all means please read on.
We all know the bottom line is always going to be, "How does it stack up to the Ewan, Charley, Ted, Helge, Sam, and the tall Aussie brigade of bike travel writing?" That is the dirty little secret of motorcycle travel writing, as in other areas of life, comparisons are unavoidable, likely to result in some degree of red faced embarrassment, disappointment, depression, and all sorts of nasty things.
The answer here, though, is quite simple.
It is nowhere near the big budget adventure of Ewan and Charley, though the showbiz angle of how Field gets started is fun.
It is quite vacant of the deep, dark, and umbrella laden musings of Ted, in this case think Lichtenstein rather than Monet.
I don't know how well Field would have traveled with Helge but he, Field, probably would have tried to break him down with copious amounts of the local brews.
The tall Aussie, Adrian Scott? Well, let's see, umm, hmmmm, ok, they both have ridden Kawasaki KLR 650 bikes through Russia and that is the only place where the two authors intersect as far as similarities go in their writings.
Sam? I think if Sam had done a few more miles and lived a closer life with motorcycles prior to setting off on his first epic trip, he might have had a lot in common with Graham Field.
Who are Ewan, Charley, Ted, Helge, Sam, and the tall Aussie? If you don't know them, this book will be a good place to start to get to know them, they are all motorcycle travel authors and this book by Graham Field will likely get you wanting for more motorcycle travel reading.
It is a fine place to start if you are new to this, well, "field". He can hold his own here.
Will you enjoy this book as much as I did? Hopefully you will, though if you are a bellicose American politician you might find yourself offended, ditto for if you are a Russian bureaucrat. But if you enjoy a damn fine read that you can pick up, ponder, put down, and pick up again at anytime, you will like this book.
This is the first time I have hoped a motorcycle travel writer will write another book, rather than simply find out that a motorcycle travel writer has written another book.
I still laugh at the lines, "And who are you? A passerby?" and the context in which he presents them.
That alone was the worth the price of admission.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much more than a travel book, 5 May 2012
This review is from: In Search of Greener Grass (Paperback)
Without giving too much away from this deeply involving book, I can definitely say that if you are only expecting travel literature, you are very much mistaken. This is much, much more. Written straight from the heart of a complex and charismatic character, In Search of Greener Grass details a journey that is as much psychological as it is geographical. While we are brilliantly guided from Essex to the slightly more exotic Mongolia, we are also guided through the fascinating mind of the very real narrator; for every exciting event on the journey, there is an often endearing, and always honest, insight into the traveler. Baring all and bravely written, this book is an exotic slice of real life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 13 Aug 2014
Dr. J. Lane "dr julian" (Bedford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Search of Greener Grass (Paperback)
What a fantastic book. I bought this after hearing Graham talk at the UK Horizons Unlimited meeting, and it's brilliant. I laughed from the first page to the last. It's entertaining, informative, and completely inspirational. It's also hilarious.
If you enjoy motorcycle travel in its raw, basic, and simple way, then this book does it better than most. Graham makes you feel as though you are there with him, and you can almost smell the experience.
I read a lot of motorcycle adventure travel books, but without a doubt this is the top of the pack. Once you've read Jupiter's Travels, then this is the next "must read". I honestly can't rate it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars l was with you all the way, 31 July 2012
P. Markham (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Search of Greener Grass (Paperback)
As a motorcycle traveller l read many books.And there are some great books out there!Flids book(l feel l am his mate now)is one of the best if not the best!!l met him at the BMF and later at Ripley Travellers Meet where l brought the book.What a nice bloke doing his journey on a bike we all could afford.and doing it on the cheap.You actually go with him all the way,so l now have been to Sweden, Poland the Ukraine,phew onto Russia, Kazakstan,Mongolia, Siberia,and end up in S Korea(never saw that one comming)But you feel like your on the bike with him,l have never had that before!SO if you want a brill book that you just dont want to end Please Please get it you will not be disapointed,you can thank me later.l have nothing to do with Graham Field except l want him to do another!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining travel guide, 1 July 2012
This review is from: In Search of Greener Grass (Paperback)
Found In Search Of Greener Grass a very entertaining and mostly light hearted look at the 'alternative traveller' guide to ex iron curtain states. The frustration of crooked custom officials to the joy of getting through and progressing valliantly onward !

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't mention Ewan and Charlie!!!, 2 May 2012
Ms. S. Bell "sabell35" (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
I approached this book with some apprehension as I am not really 'Into bikes' and that I might not get it, but do like Travel Biographies. I soon realised that although the bike is an important part of the story (obviously!), there is alot more to it.

It was clear that this was not a last minute journey and I enjoyed the build up and planning that becomes 'The Trip' and I was surprised at how much planning it actually took, not to mention the sacrifices the author seemed to make.

It is obviously written by someone who is well travelled in 'The Real World' which made it easy reading for me, as I didnt feel I was reading about a privileged traveller who I couldnt relate to.

The descriptions of the Places visited/passed through are refreshingly honest - good and bad. As are the feelings of the author, who gives away an awful lot of himself, again good and bad, to the reader.

I felt that I got to know alot of the 'fellow bikers' that he came across again and again and I was pleased that at the end there was an update on who did what.

It is a funny book too, cynicism matched with amusing observations,there are several funny ongoing themes in the book and I especially liked what the author describes as a 'Pina Colada moment'.

Towards the end I found myself starting to be concerned for the bike, would it make it? What will become of it? And I had to remind myself that 'I am not really into bikes!!'

I would have really liked to have seen more pictures, however I do recommend this book

In Search of Greener Grass
In Search of Greener Grass by Graham Field (Paperback - 28 April 2012)
12.99