4.0 out of 5 stars Haunted house fiction, with 'facts' at it heart
A slow and brooding mystery that builds to a satisfying conclusion.

This story mainly concentrates around Borley Rectory, once reputed to be the most haunted house in England, and combines certain facts with the author's unique fictional additions. It's told via the diary Sarah Grey (fictional), the assistant of Harry Price, a ghost hunter and a genuine person...
Published 24 days ago by Miss Benjamin

3.0 out of 5 stars Very uneven
This book is an imaginative account of the haunting of Borley Rectory, apparently "the most haunted house in England", and its investigation by ghost hunter, showman, charlatan (make up your own mind which) Harry Price. Set between the 1920s and the 40s, it takes us to a world where the relatives of those who fell in the First World War are exploited by false(?) mediums...
Published 13 months ago by D. Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting novel, 3 July 2014
D. M. Entwistle "Maz" (Cheshire, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ghost Hunters (Kindle Edition)
Good tale and I'm still undecided if it is trickery or paranormal! Gripping read and a great story based on genuine past events.

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting read, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Ghost Hunters (Paperback)
I received this book as a gift for Christmas due to my love of all things supernatural and in particular my interest for the legend of Borley Rectory.

I waited until my summer holiday to actually read this as I wanted to make sure that I gave it my undivided attention, so I am glad to say that my patience was well rewarded. This is a thrilling read and continues at a beautiful pace. Each chapter is just enough to keep you interested and wanting you to read on.

I loved the fact that this, overall, is a work of fiction but the author did a wonderful job in also keeping some of the factual content from the original Borley investigations.

I had a real affection for the lead character and the words kept me enthral led right down to the very last page. The book pays great respect to the paranormal universe from years gone by without the use of night vision cameras, state of the art audio equipment or super gadgets to capture a 'ghost'.

I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a journey into the unknown, a good old ghost story, but more importantly, someone who wants to discover the brilliant writing of an up and coming author.

I eagerly await the arrival of Neil's next novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old fashioned ghostly fun!, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Ghost Hunters (Kindle Edition)
I bought this not knowing that it was based on occurrences at Borley Rectory. As someone who has even visited the remains of the place, this pleased me. I found the whole book to be wholly enjoyable, with great character building and some superb chunky facts with referencing that has left me with a further list of books to buy. Creepy, mysterious, fun and frustrating (where the story demanded it), I found Ghost Hunters to be a great romp of a book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Read Ever!, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Ghost Hunters (Paperback)
Well, where can I start...this book is probably the best book I have ever read. The fact that it is based on a true story is fascinatingly spooky. I enjoyed this book so much mainly because I can relate to a lot of the paranormal experiences which occur. I got this book for Christmas and I did not put it down...it is for sure the best book I have ever read, thanks for writing this fantastic book and I cannot wait for more of your content!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ghost Hunters, 27 May 2014
This review is from: The Ghost Hunters (Paperback)
I really loved this book. Neil Spring creates a credible heroine whose role as an assistant to the indominatable Harry Price feels just right.
As a one time 'local' of this area on the Essex/Suffolk border I was always interested in the Borley phenomenon, and Neil Spring carefully and skilfully weaves a storyline around many of it's happenings in the 1930's.
Loved it....

Carrie holmes

3.0 out of 5 stars A good enough story but far too detailed making it a very long and at times boring read, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Ghost Hunters (Kindle Edition)
As the title says the book delivered a good story but with far too much detail that really was un needed and made the book very long at times.. you know the sort of book you feel compelled to finish but can't wait until it is finished.

At times the story really does come somewhat confusing and could really have been a lot more simple and still achieved the same effect.

In all honestly unless you are really interested in the subject matter I would find it hard to recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hair tingling scariness!, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Ghost Hunters (Paperback)
Just finished The Ghost Hunters and would certainly recommend it to people who enjoy a good scare!

It reads well, has believable characters, and grips you from the start. Using real-life events and places gives the supernatural element an added realism that makes you question things you thought you were sure of.

Well researched and well written...try it, you wont be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read., 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Ghost Hunters (Paperback)
A well researched and cleverly written novel. Not your run-of-the-mill spooky story, but much deeper than that. For me it was much more about the exploration of the psychological effects of the mysterious events at Borley Rectory on the main characters as well as the inexplicable. I look forward to Neil Spring's next novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars A twist in the tale, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Ghost Hunters (Kindle Edition)
Set against the investigations of the infamous The Most Haunted House in England, Borley Rectory by Harry Price and his assistant,Sarah Gray.
Very cleverly done, a tale within a tale,some nice plot twists and an ending where the reader is left pondering on Borleys status as being haunted. Some very spooky moments in it too. Characters that are believable,and period detail that's incredibly vivid.

I loved it, a rattling good read and perfect for a stormy Autumn or Winter's night.

5.0 out of 5 stars the ghost hunters, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Ghost Hunters (Paperback)
I have just finished reading the Ghost Hunters by Neil Spring. I would recommend this book to any spooky story fans, I found the flow of the book very easy to reads and the story compelling.

well done Neil will look out for your next book

The Ghost Hunters
The Ghost Hunters by Neil Spring (Paperback - 24 Oct 2013)