4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully comprehensible lesson in physics!
It's not always easy to bridge the gap between being fascinated by a topic and actually understanding the matter. With Can We Travel Through Time? Michael Brooks does not only tackle some of physics biggest questions, he also manages to present the interested reader with explanations and answers in a succinct, fun and very accessible way.
Addressing various topics -...
Published 22 months ago by BLehner

2.0 out of 5 stars His answers are not big enough for the questions
I've given this book 2 stars (rather than none) because there is a good work in there, fighting to get out. I mean it is mildly educational and quite amusingly written. There, unfortunately, my compliments end.
Published 11 months ago by Douglas Wood

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully comprehensible lesson in physics!, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Can We Travel Through Time?: The 20 Big Questions in Physics (Paperback)
Addressing various topics - from Schrödinger's cat to string theory, from gravity to the nature of reality - in essays which all get to the main point without ever being long-winded, this book is both conversationally written and educational too. Upon getting started on the book, and admittedly I am one of those who are unduly fascinated by physics despite the inability to grasp most of the details and technicalities associated with it, I was wondering whether the author would be able to convey the essentials without simplifying, but still in a way which makes the questions posed easy to understand to the average person. Brooks did so with flying colors.
What I particularly liked about the questions raised is how they also dip into topics such as time travel and parallel worlds. So if you like science fiction as much as I do, yet have not yet had the desire to read about the physics behind ideas fiction authors conceive, I promise this book will not disappoint even diehard non fiction opponents. Slowly easing into physics? This is the way to go.
In short: A wonderfully comprehensible lesson in physics!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Quercus. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

2.0 out of 5 stars His answers are not big enough for the questions, 27 Dec 2013
I can describe the book in a single word, slapdash. Take, for example, the diagram on p.62 attempting to show the relative sizes of the diamond and its component parts (he says "the elements that make it up"---confusing since it consists, so far as I know, of just one, carbon). The diamond crystal is shown as having a (typical) width of 0 to the power -1 metres, which would be infinity. It should, I'm sure, be 10 to the -1. He then captions the carbon molecule and the carbon atom as having the same width, whilst the image above clearly shows that the molecule is, as you would expect, much larger. So much for diamonds. Now the speed of light. Pages 22-24 give a preposterous "illustration" involving a hypothetical car approaching a set of traffic lights. His scenario describes what I think would happen in the case of the car receding from the lights, but, in any case, he completely fails to explain why, as relativity tells us, the evident speed of a beam of light hitting the car in either of these cases would be the same!
As a more general criticism, Mr Brooks regularly gives a momentary impression of having explained something, only for the reader to realise, seconds later, that in fact he hasn't. He's like a not-very-good stage magician, but nowhere near as funny as the late Tommy Cooper.
Some chapters are fine, but overall the book gives little evidence of careful, or indeed any, editing. I can understand neither why it was allowed to go to press like this, nor why no previous reviewer has noticed anything wrong.
As a work of science, however elementary, it's frankly a disgrace.

Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars A stimulating guide to the big questions of physics., 1 July 2013
Jazzrook - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is an exciting, mind-expanding and accessible introduction to the fundamental questions in physics.
After a brief introduction there are 20 chapters on the big questions of physics ranging from 'What is time?' & 'Are solids really solid?' to 'What is the God particle?' & 'What is the nature of reality?'. The book concludes with a useful glossary of terms used in physics.
Anyone who considers that physics is too difficult to understand should be pleasantly surprised by Michael Brooks' engrossing and stimulating book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Product Review, 15 Jan 2013
Mrs. Mc Withey (Midlands England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product for my husband's Christmas present. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed as the courier had left the parcel in a silly place where it got totally wet and soggy, the book included. Luckily, someone else bought him the same book and was therefore able to enjoy it. He tells me that the book was very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can we travel through time (book), 8 Jan 2013
Can,t comment really - it was a gift for my son from a pre-prepared list - he seems happy with it

Can We Travel Through Time?: The 20 Big Questions in Physics
Can We Travel Through Time?: The 20 Big Questions in Physics by Michael Brooks (Paperback - 25 Oct 2012)