4.0 out of 5 stars A Thrilling Read
Thank you to the wonderful publication house Quercus for kindly sending me a Hardback cover of this twisted novel. Psychological thrillers aren't usually my cup of tea and I requested it, thinking it was a love story which it kind of was, but holy moly! What a novel.

Published 8 months ago by Emma Louise

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfying read
Published 2 months ago by Jay

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfying read, 8 July 2014
This review is from: The Flavours of Love (Paperback)
This novel is accessible women's fiction, with a darker edge. It's narrated by Saffron Mackleroy whose husband was murdered 18 months earlier. Saffron has a lot to cope with: her 14 year old daughter has just shared a big secret, Saffron has a difficult relationship with food, and her husband's killer has started writing to her and threatening her family. Can she hold her life together and recover from her husband's devastating death?

Dorothy Koomson has an easy, readable style and is a good storyteller. However the novel is incredibly farfetched - we are supposed to believe that Saffron knew who killed her husband from the start but didn't turn the murderer in because of a big secret involving her daughter. By halfway through I was losing patience and by the time the secret is revealed the book fell completely flat, as the 'secret' is really small and contrived. The ending is also wrapped up far, far too neatly for my liking.

It's an ok read, but this lack of plausibility makes it unsatisfying.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thrilling Read, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Flavours of Love (Hardcover)

From start to finish, I was hooked. The letters from the husband's killer were just incredible and they even made me look around at my surroundings, just in case...

The prologue and first chapter were both jam-packed with drama and the big reveal about Saffron's daughter, Phoebe, was extremely shocking and I absolutely loved reading about how that particular storyline unfolded. It did at times take over the husband's killer storyline but once the letters began to arrive, the two combined perfectly.

In terms of the killer, very little was revealed and I did have my own ideas right from the beginning yet I was wrong about who the killer was. In my opinion, I think more should have been revealed as I finished the book only knowing two things about the husband's killer - the gender and why they murdered him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, emotional and full of suspense, 7 Nov 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Flavours of Love (Hardcover)
I love Dorothy Koomson's novels, and I've always thought of her as such a talented author and one of my favourite authors, so I was so excited to start The Flavours Of Love.

Saffron Mackleroy's husband Joel was murdered 18 months ago, and since then Saffron has been trying to work on and finish The Flavours Of Love - a cookbook that Joel started before he died. But although everyone thinks that Saffron is coping, the reality is very different. Things take a turn for the worse after her 14 year old daughter confesses something to her, and then her husband's killer starts writing to her claiming to be innocent...

You look at the cover and initially think "What a gorgeous cover!" expecting perhaps a romantic story, but what you actually get after you've read the description and the book is such a richer and darker story that pulls you in immediately. I read The Flavours Of Love in two sittings, I wanted to do it in one but unfortunately on this occasion sleep won that competition but as soon as I woke up I had my head buried back in the book, and WOW. Just WOW.

The novel is brilliantly written from the first sentence, I could feel the terror in my bones and the tension radiating from the pages. I instantly had so many questions - How did Joel die? Who is the murderer and why are they writing letters? And what has Saffron's daughter confessed? I was HOOKED and I just had to keep reading because I wanted to know.

There is a bit of moving backwards in time and then to the present day again, but Dorothy does this with such ease that the story flows naturally. I especially liked that the letters had their own part in the story and I'll be honest, they were chilling to read, I could almost hear the sinister tones in them and I raced on, my heart beating wildly. The Flavours Of Love is such a clever novel in that it is not just about Joel's murder and the killer, but there are so many more topics and issues effortlessly woven in, such as family problems, coping with grief, the loss of a parent, careers, and cookery too.

The characters are fascinating in their own ways. I warmed to Saffron straight away as I really felt for her with her loss, and her life as he struggles to keep her family together and going after such a terrible event. And at the same time, I was desperate to know what she was holding back. I LOVED the addition of Aunt Betty, she provided a refreshing mood and I loved her moments in the book, I don't want to say too much but in many ways she made the book for me.

The Flavours Of Love is gripping, full of suspense and will bring out many emotions. A thoroughly brilliant book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Flavours of Love (Hardcover)
Firstly I'd like to thank ED Public Relations for sending me this book to read and give an honest review. I've enjoyed books by this author in the past and was excited to see where her latest book would take me...

A very intriguing prologue began this story of life, loss and turmoil, I was taken on a rollercoaster ride of emotions and can easily say that it was my favourite book by this author!

Flashbacks were slowly feeding me information about That Day and those that came before and after, I thoroughly enjoyed putting together all the pieces of the puzzle. There were references to a secret between Saffron and her daughter Phoebe, I thought I knew what the secret was but when a mysterious letter arrived I began to rethink my theory. As the letters continued I found myself struggling to understand why Saffron kept it all to herself, this was a side of the story that didn't make sense to me.

A whodunnit that also involved Phoebe kept me guessing throughout, I loved how the author managed to surprise me as I read through the book. I was captivated by the way Saffron dealt with everything that was thrown at her, I felt that it was written in a believable manner, in fact the authors writing really jumped out at me because of its honesty.

About halfway through there was another serious issue thrown into the mix, this wasn't my favourite part of the book but it did give me a better insight into Saffron's character. Another character I have to mention is Aunty Betty because she had such a fun, vibrant personality, she brought a touch of humour to an otherwise serious storyline.

This was a gripping mystery with many different factors that kept me entertained throughout!

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 7 Sep 2014
I would have given this 5 stars as I really enjoyed it and couldn't stop reading it, but I just could not believe a mother would keep a secret that would reveal the killer of her husband and the father of her children. It didn't ring true at all.especially as the secret was so unimportant. Other than that compelling reading and I really got into it and the characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read - but not quite as good as her others., 16 Aug 2014
I've enjoyed all of Dorothy Koomson's books, and liked this one too, it was exciting and I was interested in the characters. However, I was a bit disappointed in this one; there were bits I found hard to believe, and a bit too much of the author deliberately misleading the reader. Well worth reading, but only 4 stars this time, not 5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Koomson's new novel is a recipe for frustration!, 16 Jan 2014
Dorothy Koomson is an author well known for her ability to produce a novel crafted around the secrets that can bring our lives crashing down often with devastating circumstances. Her latest novel ‘The Flavours of Love’ promised the same. The blurb on the book gives a strong promise of a story where a woman’s husband has been murdered and her daughter confesses something about his death which coincides with letters arriving from his killer.

The book starts in a rocketing fashion when Saffron is asked to attend a meeting at her fourteen year old daughters school whereby she is told her daughter is pregnant. The book then settles unto building up the story really nicely. The reader is brought quickly up to speed with the story that Saffron’s husband Joel was murdered 18 months previously and the murderer was never caught. This is all tied into the mystery of how her daughter Phoebe got pregnant and by whom.

It was one of those books that gripped instantly one minute I was 1% in and the next I’d barely caught breath and I was 25% of the way through and I just wanted to know more. It felt like there was a huge secret within that needed to be resolved and I wanted to know what it was. If only that had been true…..

I struggled a little with this book because I just could not understand why Saffron would make the choices she did regards her husband’s killer. I don’t want to spoil the book for others but it just didn’t make sense to me how she could do that even for the sake of protecting a child which she wasn’t even really needing to worry about. There was so much procrastination and too little action for me. I’d have had the whole thing done and dusted much much sooner.

I found the story of her daughters pregnancy better written and more likely to ring true in real life and this did help to redeem the book. And believe me it was very well written and nicely brought together but it was all a little frustrating for me as I wanted to shake the main character by the shoulders and tell her to stop wallowing in her own pain and start doing something.

Frustrating book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 30 April 2014
Mad Sez "Sarah" (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Flavours of Love (Paperback)
Without wanting to give too much away, there were several themes to this book, in addition to the main theme of an unsolved murder. Sometimes this can make for a bitty read where nothing really fits in or is tackled in detail, however I think Dorothy Koomson tackles the themes really well and they all link in perfectly to each other, enhancing the main storyline and adding depth.
On the negative side, the book felt too long for me at times and I wanted to get to the end, I think maybe the characterisation in this book was not as strong as in others of this genre. There are some books where the characters stay with you after you have finished reading, unfortunately this was not one of those books. Also, I agree with some others on here, the reason why Saffron withholds information from the police about the day of the murder doesn't seem justifiable, which disappointed me and was the one thing about the book that was unrealistic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Aug 2014
Disappointingly slow moving and repetitive. Reading on kindle, I thought I was accidentally turning back pages but no, the same thought processes occurred time and time again. The food theme was not really used much in the book. Apart from the blackberries on the floor, over and over again!

4.0 out of 5 stars The characters in this book were not 'human' enough for me to really care for their happiness. Nonetheless it is a tale of tryin, 27 Aug 2014
I have read many of Dorothy Koomson's books and have been thoroughly entertained by each one until now.Normally, I am left thinking about a book long after I have read it due to the affect it has on me and the author's ability to draw me in, and sometimes it can be days before picking up another book. The characters in this book were not 'human' enough for me to really care for their happiness. Nonetheless it is a tale of trying coping with life's struggles, with self, children, friendship and tragedies and how it changes you . I struggled with some of the decisions made under the guise of love.
Having said all the above, there was the usual anticipation of whats coming next, which had ne turning the pages to be proved right or wrong. I give 4 stars for past titles but really 3+ would have been more accurate.

The Flavours of Love
The Flavours of Love by Dorothy Koomson (Hardcover - 7 Nov 2013)