5.0 out of 5 stars An Enlightening Read
Are angels the brainwaves of god? Is the world around us the condensed force of the divine?

What if all along while we have been busy studying things with microscopes and telescopes the mystics and magicians who were looking inside saw more clearly?

This book is for anyone excited by these questions.
Published 16 months ago by Martin Faulks

3.0 out of 5 stars Scattershot
The author is Jonathan Black who is really Mark Booth. That sorts of sets the way ahead, lots of random statements without a central thread to lash them together. Angels flutter in and out of the text occasionally. Vignettes on Lincoln, Hitler and the Dalai Llama mean exactly what? If he had concentrated on angels that would have been a less confusing read. By including...
Published 7 months ago by Anthony Steadman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enlightening Read, 6 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Sacred History: How Angels, Mystics and Higher Intelligence Made Our World (Hardcover)

This book is for anyone excited by these questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb follow up to Secret History and brilliantly written, 7 Sept. 2013
Ibraar 'Le Saracen' "le_saracen" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For the benefit of all who are thinking of buying it, buy it.
It is brilliant.

if you're familiar with Jonathan Black's previous book "The Secret History" and you want to read more, then this is essential.

It does touch upon the accounts, ideas, myths and philosophy which are in the other book, but elaborates these to present a beautifully written and illustrated book depicting the evolution of the World according to myth and legend and sacred religious and scriptural history - using everything from Norse to Hindu, Shamanic to Sumerian legend, Christ to Muhammed, belief and myth.

It is written with an excellent preface and introduction, and then as a sequence of stories dating back aeons and gradually progressing towards modernity.
The stories are in a sort of chronological order, they corroborate and compliment each other, Jonathan Black is trying to portray a unity and theme common to stories from different parts of the world which could mean that there could be a universal truth in them - ie. Flood myths and heroes related to these myths. Mystical beings - Gods/Angels play a prominent role in each of these under the auspice and eye of The Great Cosmic Mind. The stories include well known ones and obscure ones - those of Noah, Gilgamesh, Perseus, Theseus, Moses - in other words; Mystics, Prophet's, Demi-Gods and Heroes.

The stories can be enjoyed in many ways, as the author intended or as stories in their own right to be read for merely the pleasure of story telling and reading.
Jonathan Black uses material available since he wrote his previous book - and material he didn't touch upon before, including more ideas from Ibn Arabi to Lorna Byrne.

The stories are interspersed with thoughts, reflections, philosophy and knowledge, all brilliantly realised and fleshed out making the stories make perfect sense.

The book is absorbing and enlightening and difficult to put down, as I want to know where the author is taking me and want to travel with him on this journey.
I already have an idealistic view of the Universe and mankind, and have deep spiritual convictions which I base on experience, so the stories mean a lot to me and have filled me with hope - no doubt what the author intended - I wont spoil it for you though.

The stories and ideas go deep into our past and deep into our consciousness and depths which cannot be explained in a laboratory, and I for one don't box myself in to a certain mind set, and so allow myself freedom to listen, read and accept according to experience and to love and cherish and be filled with wonder at what our ancestors since prehistory have to tell us and teach us.

So readers who completely slated the previous book, didn't agree with it, didn't understand it, and denounced it - such readers will be advised to stay clear of this as they wont like it and they'll be wasting their time.

Those who have an open mind and take matters of consciousness and experience as having a meaning, and cherish the stories, beliefs and doings of our ancestors since prehistory could enjoy this, and of course I'd recommend The Secret History to be read before this.

If you enjoyed and understood The Secret History, if metaphysics, spirituality, religion, esoteric thought, Josef Steiner and shamanism interest you, and you've enjoyed Robert Bauval, Graham Hancock, Lorna Byrne and other literature too - including religious scripture The Holy Bible, The Gita, The Veda's and The Koran you'll love this and it'll take pride of place on your book shelf after you've finished it.

If you've ever tried Astral Projection, or have had any lucid dreams, or altered states of consciousness - this will mean a lot to you.

This book is not for everyone, it is not a book on History, nor religion, and some may find the contents contrary to their religious belief - but is presented in Jonathan Black's way and language with meaning and vision which I think is inspirational.

NB. An excellent bibliography and appendix of sources is included

After reading it and having had a lot of time to reflect over what I read - the book is even more brilliant than I at first thought. it really inspires, and teaches and gives insight and wisdom, and in this age of suspicion and cold soulless atheism, it is full of light..

Under the shadow of thy wings shall be my refuge, until this tyranny be over past..

5.0 out of 5 stars The overdue alternative view., 17 Oct. 2013
Apart from some classic typos it was a fantastic read. A timely reminder that the secular view of life does not answer all our questions or needs. A message for atheists too in that not all "believers" are creationists. If you like stories, myths and legends and wonder why they continue to act on the human psyche in such a rofound way then this book may go some considerable way towards answering and explaining that sense of wonder. It will confirm some things you've always felt and get you returning to some old favourites for a reread.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book, 15 Sept. 2013
Philip Carr-gomm (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
The Sacred History is an astonishing tour de force that takes you on a journey that begins with the creation of the universe and ends in the present day, offering an astounding vision of what awaits us. What I particularly enjoyed about the book was the way in which it gave me summaries of all those mythic tales I have been meaning to study, but have never found time for - Greek myths, stories from the Bible, the Hindu epics, the Arabian Nights and more - weaving them together to tell the history of the world in an utterly original way, drawing wisdom from each one to offer insights into how humanity has evolved, and how these myths play out in our own lives. As a result the book is a voyage through consciousness as well as Time. And although the book is clearly written by someone deeply immersed in the Perennial Wisdom Tradition, with a deep understanding of philosophical and theological questions, there is a warm, down-to-earth quality in the way the book is written that makes it extremely accessible. My faith in the fundamentally spiritual nature of reality has been renewed with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating counterpoint to fundamentalism, 11 Sept. 2013
To be honest, I'm not sure I can improve on The Saracen's review!
In his previous book, Black took his readers on a journey, inviting them to look at everything they thought they knew but turned inside-out and upside-down. It was a through-the-looking -glass world, where familiar stories, places and objects became pieces in a carefully constructed and complex jigsaw puzzle. It's always been there, but we didn't see it because we weren't looking through the correct lense.
The emphasis in this book is more on how our world has been shaped by spiritual forces. Again, if we only choose to look, the evidence, says Black, is there in all the major religions and in our ancient stories, morphed into fairy tales and myths. I loved, as I did in The Secret History, the way in which he shows that the same stories with the same characters are repeated throughout history in different forms. It convinces me that cultural differences are only as deep as the material world and that what unites us spiritually is the same, and always has been, whatever we choose to call it.
There is a prevalent - modern - assumption that knowledge somehow progresses in a straight line- that we are always cleverer and better- informed than those who came before. This dangerous certainty can be equated with the other dangerous certainties of any sort of fundamentalism- atheistic or religious. Black's books are fighting fundamentalism. They demonstrate, above all, that ancient knowledge is the key with which we might attempt to unlock many mysteries, if we will open our minds and ask the questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating if also a little frustrating, 1 Dec. 2013
I came to this book via the previous one - the Secret History of the World - an enjoyed this one just as much as the other.

One of the things I found very useful in the book was the careful clarifying of the difference between idealism and materialism. This theme was for me the core of the book and I regarded the examples from recent and ancient history as a picture of what the "idealistic" universe might look like. I also enjoyed the way in which the author linked the perception of this universe to culture so that one's experience was not absolute but relative. In a world where fundamentalism is all too common I thought this was a valuable contribution.

The book was overall a little deeper than many contemporary works that seek to deal with esoteric subjects but what left me a little frustrated was that I wanted the author to take the issues and the quest to understand them to a level that was so much deeper again. Perhaps there will be another book from the author or perhaps this is where I as a reader am urged to take the next step of exploration in a different and more personal way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Open your mind, 11 Sept. 2013
I would call myself sceptical but open-minded when it comes to the other worldly and supernatural. The rational me dismisses such fancies but there's a part of me that wants a different, more magical, version of the world to exist. This book didn't turn me into an angelic believer, but it did make me reassess certain myths and stories, and Jonathan Black's wonderful retellings or interpretations of our shared global narratives really do offer an alternative view of human history. There's something magic within the pages of THE SACRED HISTORY which I found affecting and thought-provoking, so I recommend it whole-heartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning book and a very different perspective., 14 Sept. 2013
Back in the last decade, when The Secret History was published, I remember reading it and thinking that Jonathan Black describes a Universe which is wholly recognisable to idealists & completely un-fathomable by materialists. Being in the former group, my metal feeling the pull of a force which other metals may not be sensitive to, I remember the sensation of being illuminated as I read through the pages. Naturally, not everyone felt the same way. It's not a common way of thinking.

The Sacred History continues with the view that there is another way to look at the Universe and our place in it. It's a story of perennial philosophy, the evolution of consciousness, our relationship to God and all that came before us. It's the story of mind before matter and what that means for the huge journey that is the arc of our existence.

The book is sizeable yet so well written that it's a pleasure to read. I feel that in these matters, too much exposition can rob the reader of the journey which is an essential part of development - but this book never oversteps the mark. As you work through the pages, the themes are presented and explored enough to make the mind whirr yet never forcing you in to a conclusion. You can't be hand held all the way here, it's important that you walk the last mile yourself.

It's been a moving experience. As I've read the pages and the tales, it's as if it's stirred up deeply hidden memories. Like hearing & recognising the echoes of the first great song & wanting to return home. The author understands his subject matter and also what the willing reader wants.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really fantastic book - I think everyone will find something special ..., 1 Dec. 2014
This is a really fantastic book - I think everyone will find something special in it - well done on another great piece of writing :o)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of interesting 'stories' from different cultures and religions. ..., 7 Oct. 2014
Noel Gallagher "Lecce_Wulf" (Lecce, Italy) - See all my reviews
Lots of interesting 'stories' from different cultures and religions. It starts very well, but seems to lose the thread a bit.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›