5.0 out of 5 stars Biblical
“I’ve seen the answer, the truth, Father. And it’s a big, big truth. A truth so big and beyond the imaginings of your tiny superstition that you’re incapable of understanding it.”

Published 10 months ago by Keen Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm - its okay
Published 10 months ago by Bizimum

5.0 out of 5 stars Biblical, 13 Jun. 2014
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Biblical (Hardcover)

What if scientists developed a way to create a virtual representation of neural activity, of a human brain – a complete computer-generated simulation capable of thought. What if people worried that such scientific developments could lead to a Singularity, where artifical intelligence could overwhelm our own. But there’s no danger … is there? It begins with the staring – people stopping mesmerised by something only they can see; the suicides – WE ARE BECOMING.

This is a great, rollercoaster of a book – the world seems in danger somehow from people who are experiencing visions, or are they hallucinations? We see these experiences as some people around the world ‘live’ through them – and we see the ‘real’ world from the perspective of John Macbeth, a psychiatrist working on a large scientific project in Denmark. What we know, what we experience, what we believe, what we can really point to as truth is torn apart in this book which spans the globe and the ages.

This book is absolutely gripping and a great read. I truly did not see the ending coming; this is one of those books that as soon as you think you know how it is going to pan out, it changes course entirely, throwing the reader into a new path of discovery – brilliantly conceived, wonderfully written and put together as a mind-trap for the unwary reader, this is a great book. Christopher Galt, the author is apparently a pseudonym for an acclaimed thriller author, Craig Russell. I look forward to reading more of his works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm - its okay, 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Biblical (Hardcover)
I bought this as the reviews had me intrigued. I enjoyed the first part and then found myself Biblically bored about half way through and very nearly gave up. I got fed up with the introductions of new characters for them to have an hallucination - it was clear people were hallucinating and those hallucinations were becoming ever more real and they actually got in the way of the story progressing for me - the book could have been half its length. The characters also lacked depth for me and could have been taken much further. I'm not a science nerd or especially intelligent (I did find some of it a bit over my head) but even I had worked out how this would finish before the end - so Biblically disappointing as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Ok Thriller, 23 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Biblical (Kindle Edition)
A thriller-high-concept-science fiction dealing with interesting philosophical questions of the nature of reality and the gulf between perception and truth. Parts of it are gripping, but at other times it becomes trite. The ending was ok but not astonishingly gripping.

I enjoyed it, and certainly do not begrudge the money. However this is not a book I would re-read years later.

4.0 out of 5 stars What's real and what isn't?, 12 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Biblical (Kindle Edition)
This is a very enjoyable science fiction romp in a world where artificial reality becomes a sentient reality. This in turn affects many different people around the world, and they start to see visions - of the past, alternate realities? And then people start to share visions and to be affected by them.

3.0 out of 5 stars biblical, 2 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Biblical (Kindle Edition)
Very clever storyline and brilliant storyline but it took two attempts to get into it. The first half was too scientific and boring. The second half got better as you got to know the characters . A little too much science detail for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars could of been so much more, 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Biblical (Kindle Edition)
A good concept, great beginning lots of interesting sub plots then nothing it just faded away and whilst I would never give away the end it appears the author ran out of ideas and was no we're near as clever as he thinks he is, poor poor ending! The annoying thing is, it was good until the last few chapters....

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved every page! Highly recommended, 15 May 2014
Kate (Oxford, Oxon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Biblical (Kindle Edition)
John Macbeth is a psychiatrist involved in one of several projects around the globe which seek to take consciousness one step further by investing artificial intelligence with self-awareness. Science leads the way, religions fade, humanism is key. But that was before `the staring' began. People began to stop dead in the street, staring over other people's shoulders or through their bodies, intent on something that nobody else could see. When this happens to car drivers, pilots of planes, leading political or industrial figures, it's time to take notice. Macbeth is better placed than most to try and understand this strange behaviour, because he is also subject to it. He too feels the deja vu, the chill in the air, the presence of ghosts.

Staring is followed by suicides, committed by people completely out of character, sometimes in large numbers. Then there are the visions, followed by larger events, ones shared by whole cities. But these large scale phenomena are accompanied by countless numbers of personal experiences by men, women and children, each of whom sees something different, is taken out of their time and finds themselves lost, terrified, hunted, something else. And it is these stories, along with those mass events, which fill the pages of Biblical, spellbinding the reader who has no idea what could possibly happen in the next chapter. Anything can happen and it does.

Biblical is full of stories. Some are the experiences of people we never meet again, others come and go through the pages. The stories are linked by John Macbeth, and a few other key characters, and by the mood of foreboding that increases as the number of cases grows. Something is happening to the Earth and everyone on it. As science and scientists flounder, the religious call what is happening The Rapture.

Many of the stories or visions in Biblical are jawdropping. There were times when I could hardly believe what I was reading but the wonder of it all is described so well I accepted it all. I couldn't get enough of the shocks and twists. Christopher Galt has the ability to transport the reader to other places and the result is that I never wanted to put this book down. I had no idea what to expect, except the unexpected, and I have to take my hat off to the power of Galt's imagination, not to mention his ability to hold the structure of this novel together as expertly as he does. There are many characters and `incidents' but Galt never loses sight of the plot's path through the book. Its spirit throughout is imbued with Galt's fascination with history, science and the world around us. And however briefly some of the characters feature, we are given more than enough to care for many of them deeply.

It would be difficult to imagine a world less certain than the one portrayed in Biblical. As a result, anything can and does happen to leading characters. The book has more twists than a corkscrew. But what is also contains are grand themes, most notably religion versus science, in all levels of life, society and government. There is a philosophical element, too, concerning the nature of existence and its relation to time. Everything becomes questionable. Whatever is happening affects people on a profound level.

Biblical is such a clever thriller, with science fiction and apocalyptic colours, but it is also hugely entertaining and well-written. Definitely one of my top reads of the year so far, I didn't want it to end and I'll read it again. I'm very grateful for the review copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and brilliant, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Biblical (Kindle Edition)
Having read a few reviews of this book, the one phrase that keeps cropping up is ‘mind-bending’. In the interests of originality, I was determined not to use that phrase myself when reviewing this book. So having just finished reading it, how can I best describe it? Well, er, mind-bending. It really, truly is.

All over the world people begin to have hallucinations. They start of being pretty innocuous, people catching glimpses of long dead relatives, that kind of thing. But over time these visions become more powerful, and more real. Groups of people large and small start to share hallucinations collectively. If a group of people all experience the same hallucination, is it actually a hallucination?

The main character in this book is John Macbeth. He is a brilliant psychiatrist who is also involved in a game changing neuroscience project known as ‘Project One’. It will be down to him to unravel the mystery of what is causing the hallucinations and what it all actually means.

I have to say I loved this book. Yes, at times, the science talk went way over my head. There were many discussions between Macbeth and his brother Casey, who is equally as intelligent as Macbeth and who studied physics, astrophysics and quantum mechanics. So I did my best to keep up and always got the gist, if not fully understanding the technical jargon. Although I did use my Kindle’s in built dictionary more times during this book than any other I’ve read!

Where this book really shines is the descriptions of the hallucinations. The opening chapter tells the story of a young girl who suddenly finds herself witnessing the execution of Joan of Arc. That sets the bar for the rest of the book and with each new hallucination described in amazing detail, the bar gets raised each time.

Although my favourite one was a simple experience by a lady called Mary. The chapter describing her hallucination was amazingly moving and beautifully described.

All in all this book is a fantastic read. The chapters are quite short so it’s possible to dip in and out but I would really suggest setting some time aside, grab yourself a cup of tea or glass of wine and immerse yourself in this astonishing story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowing Brilliant !, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Biblical (Kindle Edition)
The opening scene had me hooked immediately with the depiction of a French teenager finding herself in amongst a crowd of people witnessing the execution of Joan d'Arc. She manages to take a picture of the horrific scene on her phone.

Around the world people are experiencing hallucinations, having feelings of déjà vu, and accidents and mass suicides are occurring on an alarming scale.

It is a time where science is destroying religion as it answers the mysteries and miracles of old.

Macbeth, a psychiatrist involved in a neuroscience project, finds himself hurled into a race against time to uncover the mystery of the phenomena. Is it caused by a virus, or are these visions sent from God as believed by religious leaders and fanatics worldwide? Is the world readying itself for 'The Rapture'?

Christopher Galt's 'Biblical' is a fantastic piece of fiction blending elements of scientific fact and human genetic anomalies. Galt's characters come to life with his empathetic writing style, and the numerous memorable characters are totally plausible and mesmerising. I felt as though I were watching a film, they were so well drawn out. I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen to each of them as their fate unfolded. Mary Vermont's heart felt tale of her frustration and anguish of suffering from Alzheimer's and the happiness albeit brief of the visions she has was particularly poignant. It was easy to imagine what it must be like to have this awful disease looking through Mary's eyes. Each and every one of Galt's characters has an equally compelling tale to tell and I loved finding out about them all.

Biblical kept me guessing all the way to its mind blowing climax. It is an intelligent, imaginative, addictive, apocalyptic thriller that kept me reading well into the early hours.

Definitely my favourite this year.

I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to review this title.

2.0 out of 5 stars there are a few elements to be enjoyed in this novel, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Biblical (Kindle Edition)
I was tempted to pick up this book because of the reviews which promised me a mind-bending, unpredictable conclusion.
As a result, I was a little wary when the very first pages appeared to spell out exactly where the plot was going. Some particularly heavy handed Descartes quotes and references to Roussel's 'Locus Solus' did little to dispel my disquiet as did numerous, obvious clues given in the narrative. Lo and behold, the epilogue rolls around and the supposed mind blowing conclusion is exactly as predicted from the very start. How disappointing.
Having said that, overall plot aside, there are a few elements to be enjoyed in this novel. John Macbeth is an interesting enough protagonist who diverges from a few of the usual lead character tropes to portray someone at once brilliant yet at odds with the world around him. Not staggeringly original, I'll admit, yet it's a theme of the book to explore the different ways in which humans can find themselves ostracized from general society. Macbeth's reliance on semantic thinking echoes other characters' flaws, be they: Alzheimer's disease, anger disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder etc. Of course, the main theme of the book being as it is, it makes perfect sense for the focal point of the writing to concern itself with the dissociative effects of different human personalities.
The writing is solid and the research was obviously extensive. Anyone looking for a thought provoking read may well find what they're after here. Unfortunately, as is stated many times in the book, there are no new ideas and all that matters is what we do with them. 'Biblical' is a case in point.

Biblical
Biblical by Christopher Galt (Hardcover - 1 May 2014)