on 28 May 2012
On her previous autobiography! I just wanted to point that out...I pre-ordered it expecting that and to be honest, I was disappointed when I saw that it was a self-help book. (I pre-ordered it before a full description was added).

I HAVE NEVER liked self-help books, so was prejudiced against this. Particularly as I felt that my life is pretty good at the moment!

Nonetheless, I decided to pick the book up and give it a chance...wow! I was blown away. It is so relaxing to read and makes some very good points, whilst also being a light read - I.e. not forcing you to delve into your mind.

It has helped me identify several thought patterns I have and Katie has suggested ways to eradicate these and become a happier person. The inclusion of entries from her fans whom are suffering from numerous issues was particularly heart-warming and also shows that everyone is suffering to some degree. Coupled with Katie's down-to-earth writing style and naturally pleasant nature, the book comes across as genuine, and real - unlike some of the other "Self-help books" I have read.

Plus, hearing about many people in different circumstances adds many unique angles and this book can help you at any stage and in any position!

It is very easy to come across as the martyr when writing one of these, but Katie comes across as inspirational and as a good person - just as with her memoirs, "Beautiful".

So, all in all I am very impressed and look forward to finishing the book. I just know I will love it throughout. The fact that she has made a book on a topic I hate - and I still love the book - shows how great it is!

Well done, Katie! Just beware this isn't an update on her life. =)

Hope this helps!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 22 June 2012
This is a great self-help book and I highly recommend it to anybody who is going through a difficult time. I purchased it after going through a very upsetting break-up, when I felt like doing nothing but lying on the floor and wailing.

"Things Get Better" is tremendously helpful because it goes step-by-step from being at rock bottom to picking yourself up and moving on with your life. Katie's personal story of recovery after an acid attack and rape is very inspiring and also helped me put my problems into perspective. I admire Katie a lot and it would be impossible to read her books without wanting to wish her the very best in life - she certainly deserves it after what she went through and the strength and courage she showed. She is also a very good writer and the book is both readable and practical.

I particularly enjoy having this book on my Kindle, as I have highlighted my favourite quotes and can easily re-read them. I am feeling better each day and I know I will come back to this book whenever I face a difficult situation in the future.

Other books that I recommend for people going through tough times are "How To Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie, "Life Without Limits" by Nick Vujicic and "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.
on 13 July 2012
I can't find the words to express how I am touched by this book... I simply couldn't stop from reading it until i was so tired that my eyes closed.. Page after page Katie, like our very best friend, shares genuinely what she went through and how it changed her... She put all her heart in this book to convey how it is possible to believe in life again whatever happens.. she gives us all the tools to do so and is so encouraging...Her words are healing and powerful at the same time.. I got Katie's book because I needed inspiration, I needed energy to bounce as I was feeling like everything was falling apart in my life.. and I found all that and much more in this book. I discovered also an amazing human being. Katie thank you so so much for this beautiful book. It will be a great help and a great comfort to so many people in the world. I am among them :)
on 12 April 2013
After reading Katie's first book following her traumatic acid attack, I decided to give this book a go. Possibly my own fault for not reading up on what it covered first, but I assumed it would be a follow up from her previous book and update us on her ongoing struggle to manage her feelings following the attack and update us on her charity work and the positives that have come out of her ordeal. Unfortunately for me, this format of "self-help" and advice didn't really work. I'm sure for those that have gone through something similar to Katie in their lives this book will help, however I was really unable to relate to a lot of the advice she gave and soon gave up on the book altogether.

Regardless of this, I still think Katie is one of the most inspirational and beautiful people on this planet. Well done Katie for getting over your ordeal, helping others and continuing to make a difference.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Katie Piper is someone I have been aware of for some time, but I felt I wanted to read this book as soon as it came out as I wanted to know more about her. Even after reading her story, it is still very difficult to understand what Katie has been through. To think that any 'person' is capable of such an attack on another human being is a terrifying prospect. Katie is entrirely honest about the turmoil she suffered as a result about her experiences and this is inspirational for anyone who is suffering in any area of their life. However, Katie talks openly about her road to recovery and with a mixture of surgery, psychological support and of course the backing of her family, friends and supporters she certainly seems to be getting there. 'Things Get Better' is a great read for anyone, at any age, and even though Katie's beauty can be seen from the outside cover, it is when you read her story you realise what true beauty is really all about.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This girl has been to 'hell and back' but she is an inspiration to us all. She, for such a youngster should NOT have gone through what she did when she was brutally attacked by acid, at the hands of her evil boyfriend and his friend.
This book is NOT about self-pity but more to give the two types of Readers that will read this... The Reader who bemoans about their lot "Oh woe is me I have so much stuff to deal with in my life" AND those that HAVE been through a 'hell of a lot' and need Inspiration. She writes in a VERY positive way that you feel cheered and feel that you could handle ANYTHING after reading her brave story. She COULD have given up and did the 'woe is me' stuff but she didnt and she became an Inspiration to Women AND Men. After reading this you would not bemoan about 'your lot' when you have read this book.
The best way to read this book I felt was when you were low to read a chapter at a time.
Saw a Picture of her recently and she looks 'Radiant', She has the help of her family and she refuses to 'lay down and take it' but rather get up there and 'face the world'!!
There was even a fold over from the front cover you can use as a bookmark as a bonus!!
Great Book that you can not fail to be Inspired by . I recommend it!!
on 25 June 2012
I must admit on reading this book I thought Katie would be describing about her life before and after, describing her burns etc but its more of a self help book. Dont get me wrong after reading it I felt so bad that I'm never going to complain about anything again. She is extremely positive in everything and her attitude to life is amazing. Her words of wisdom are excellent and makes you think about your own life in general.
on 28 May 2012
This woman's story is horrifying, but she managed to triumph and is working incredibly hard for other people. She is an incredible person and what she has to has is stunning. When someone can absorb the hatred behind such an evil crime and put her life back together, it's an amazing tale.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
At this time of year most of us have resolutions, hopes and dreams at the forefront of our minds and with `Things Get Better' I feel you will be inspired.

Described as a self help book, Katie takes us step by step through the stages of dealing with the issues you face.
What I liked about this is, its not someone lecturing you for 298 pages, instead Katie tells us about the issues she faced and how she dealt with them.

Within every page Katie shares her honest thoughts with you and its from those, that you get her strong sense of positivity, something we all need in our lives.

It would of been so easy for Katie to have let what happened take over her life but thankfully she didn't, she has shown that its made her stronger and given her the ability to look at life from a different view point.

Katie is an amazingly strong and inspirational person, and I suggest that even if you feel life is great at the moment you buy a copy of this book, because it will make you appreciate all the good that surrounds you a little bit more.

And if you are feeling low and think there is no place to go, please remember you aren't alone `Things Get Better'
on 1 October 2012
If you're after a self-help book or something to encourage you through a hard time then this is perfect. I'd lost both of my grans, less than 7 months apart to cancer and this gave me a little boost. I think it works because Katie has been there and done that, and if in doubt read her biography Beautiful: A beautiful girl. An evil man. One inspiring true story of courage

Katie Piper is a pillar of strength and probably has more balls than a lot of people out there, she took on her attackers and won.