4.0 out of 5 stars A moral story for teens by someone they will respect
Published on 16 Jan 2012 by Mountain Writer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
This book, was reasonably interesting in parts however, It could have been a lot more engaging. I do not think I would get another book by 50 Cent
Published on 3 Sep 2012 by Antonio703

4.0 out of 5 stars A moral story for teens by someone they will respect, 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: Playground (Paperback)
Playground is the story of Butterball, a 14 year old overweight bully. It's a compelling read which centers around Butterball's conversations with the therapist he is made to speak to after he attacks his only friend with a battery-filled sock. As you would expect, the rapper doesn't gloss over the violence or hold back on the language which might put some parents off, but it shouldn't. The realistic approach and the edgy black and white drawings which accompany the text makes this a cool book that young teens will want to read. The pay off is that at the end there is redemption for the bully and lessons to be learned by everybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Playground by 50 Cent, 25 Nov 2011
This review is from: Playground (Paperback)
I loved this book, really seriously loved it.
I started reading it as soon as I got it home and was racing through it, very unhappy at having to go out, so much so I was reading it while walking down the street at a really odd angle so I could read by the light of passing streetlamps! Then raced back home to finish it that night. I really loved Butterball and the way the story was told through his sessions with the therapist and jumping back a bit to fill you in with the details. The slow change in his character was really well done, particularly the way he began to develop self-confidence, and even the spiralling into bullying to gain `respect' was completely believable. The relationship with his parents was so honest, it was almost painful to read about how he completely hero worshipped his dad even though he was obviously such a jerk to him, and his conflict with his mum and their strained relationship was really poignant, his unhappiness at her working so much and his embarrassment about her relationship with Evelyn was very well done.

I read a heck of a lot of teen books and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality, it was so easy to read and so well written about a subject which can be tricky to be written well. My only mild frustration is because it was so easy to read I would love to give it to bright younger kids but can't because of the swearing, not that they won't pick it up on their own...and I'm glad they will.

Oh and one last thing I LOVED the jacket, a really strong cover design, incredibly striking, and really makes it stand out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Playground (Kindle Edition)
it is a great book for kids aged 11+ for parents, don't worry about the swearing. a great read for all

5.0 out of 5 stars Playground, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Playground (Kindle Edition)
I bought this because I LOVE 50 cent 's music and I wasn't disappointed! I read this in just over a day and I loved it. I'm 17 and will recommend it to others my age

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed & Interesting, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Playground (Kindle Edition)
I first chose to read the book because I knew the rapper 50 Cent and thought it would be interesting to read.
The book was really good and I really wanted to carry on reading when I finished the book.
The book is good for teenagers and possibly people who know 50 Cent. Good book to read if you don't really enjoy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Playground (Kindle Edition)
I was really impressed with this book. It centres around ably who is in trouble at school and his visits with a counseller and how his school and home life make him the way he is. Great book as it tackles the subject honestly but in a good way

5.0 out of 5 stars great short read, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Playground (Kindle Edition)
a touching story about misunderstandings don't want to give to much away but dropped my kindle reading the shoe shop incident some laughs as well and sums up how crap school can really be. I'm a young at heart 44 but will encourage my teenager daughter to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Playground (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. Ok, so it was a 20p Kindle copy, but it was worth every penny.

Burton (aka Butterball) was such a great character (even though he's a 13 year old boy and messed up by the changes in his life and peer pressure). The quality of the writing meant that even when he went at a classmate with a sock full of batteries - you didn't turn against him. It was clear , even though you didn't know what it was yet, that this kid was struggling to cope with all kinds of things - and it only the therapist he was ordered to see that finally broke down the walls. Couldn't put it down and read it in a couple of hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Playground - 50 Cent, 17 Sep 2012
I loved this book.

I had quite a few moments when I found myself laughing out loud in public with this one.

It's also a lovely story of a child who is not finding it easy after his parents split and he is moved to a new location, new school and new friends. How he tried to fit in and became a thug and then how he turned his life around in time to also do some good and redirect his energies elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 3 Sep 2012

Playground
Playground by 50 Cent (Paperback - 3 Nov 2011)