5.0 out of 5 stars Bruno triumphs again
I love this series. This is not some gentle "I love the South of France" story with a twee crime. The books are indeed written with both knowledge & love of the Perigord with great characters in a place you wished you could livebut also with real good story lines that build & are exciting. An annual treat - read them all!
Published 15 months ago by Mr Kevin Grindrod

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but...
I can't help like Bruno, Chief of Police, and the place he lives and works (St Denis) and the fact that he knows and gets on with all the local people and characters. It provides an attractive back drop to all the stories.

Published 13 months ago by freedomrulesok

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 12 Oct 2013

Trouble is, the 'baddies' are always the outsiders, and whilst there's plenty to digest here, it's almost too much interweaving of different strands and people and story. I found myself getting a bit lost as to who was who at times.

That said, it's still an engaging read, not just as strong or as well paced as the previous books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruno triumphs again, 18 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Less maudlin more Dordogne, 8 July 2013
Miran Ali "I don't like anonymous reviewers" (Dhaka, Bangladesh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Resistance Man: A Bruno Courrèges Investigation (Bruno Chief of Police 6) (Hardcover)
I love this series although in one of the previous books I was getting rather tired of Bruno's girlfriend problems and lack of focus on the food and the mystery.

In the Resistance Man, we have Bruno back to form. And the food.....

This is an excellent new addition to the series and fully recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better, 11 Jun 2013
Maxwell (Tunbridge Wells, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I stumbled across Martin Walkers books last year and quickly became addicted so much so i wish i could move into the pages. Martin Walker has a fantastic ability of telling a brilliant story around some pretty important historical facts that you want to go on and read more about. He weaves them together so cleverly. His ever growing family of characters really make the story come alive and they, and the vivid descriptions of the Perigord, must do wonders for the tourist market.The books are are brilliant read and i would always recommend them and place a bet that very soon you too will be trundling the lanes of the Perigord like me.
Cant wait for the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of local colour, 30 Jun 2014
As usual an excellent read. Full of local and historical colour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and excellent example of Walker's genre, 26 Jun 2014
We both loved this book and are convinced that we must have met Bruno on our travels throughout southwest France!
The plot kept us guessing and there were enough twists to keep us interested.
Well researched and as ever the menu's were a delight.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 20 Jun 2014
D. White (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
Bruno would be the man to tour France with, his appreciation of food and wine and his ability to produce it could only be a joy. As a Police Officer he produces an easy introduction to knowing your patch, knows all, sees all,and keeps his head. A fine read for a sunny afternoon on holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joining Bruno in the Dordogne is my idea of the perfect summer, 18 Jun 2014
Set in the Dordogne town of St Denis, Bruno the chief of police spends his days solving crimes, keeping the streets safe, enjoying fine food, wine and female company. With his comforting and homely descriptions of simple country life in the Dordogne I have developed a soft spot for Martin’s writing and for Bruno. I easily slip back into his life in St Denis whenever I pick up one of his books.

In The Resistance Man Bruno finds himself having to piece together the links between the past and present in an investigation with many twists and turns. By the time we get to the end of chapter three (and in the space of one day) we have the natural death of an old farmer, the mystery of stolen money from a train robbery in 1944, a cleverly planned burglary and a murder. Bruno is busy trying to piece together the evidence but still has time to lunch with a lady friend, take coffee with another, speak on the phone to a third and is due to meet a fourth from the airport. Life is never dull for Bruno and this is certainly an exciting start for a book set in sleepy rural France. I enjoyed every page and twist in the plot and was slightly sad to reach the end of the book.

If you are looking for a distraction this summer I can think of nothing better than a trip to the Dordogne to delve into the delicious world of Bruno and read all seven books. I have now read two of the novels and the short story, but the more I read the more I want to read, so I will be playing catch up this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good holiday read, 11 Jun 2014
A good yarn that keeps you engaged and reading on. Nothing too nasty or thought provoking. Especially enjoyable for those of us who live near the thinly disguised St Denis.

5.0 out of 5 stars good as always, 11 Jun 2014
I waited until this came down in price making it a good value read.
as always very enjoyable. ,Almost feel as if Bruno is a friend now , love the food details
do other reads have a picture of all the characters in their minds too?

The Resistance Man: A Bruno Courrèges Investigation (Bruno Chief of Police 6)