5.0 out of 5 stars Someone's in the Kitchen with Diana, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Prospero's Kitchen: Island Cooking of Greece (Hardcover)
Prospero's Kitchen is so much more than a cookbook: it is a delicious and magical portrait of Greece. It starts in the kitchen but its ingredients include the people of Greece, their traditions, their interpretation of spices and herbs, all that makes the recipes from the Ionian Islands unique to food found elsewhere in Greece. As Diana Farr Louis and June Marinos so eloquently write, "Ionian cooking is quintessentially Mediterranean: laced with sweet virgin olive oil balanced by the acidity of tomatoes and lemon juice, heady with garlic, and reliant on herbs rather than piquant spices for taste." If I didn't have a slow simmering sauce on the stove, I would abandon my own kitchen and take the next flight to Greece.
The writing in Prospero's Kitchen is beautiful and convincing and extends beyond the individual recipe to a larger cultural context: "For food is never just a haphazard combination of ingredients. Each dish has its own story--a complex mixture of specific geographical characteristics, historical influences, religious or ceremonial functions, and social circumstances."
Authors Louis and Marinos have indeed whetted my appetite for their beloved Greece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Prospero's Kitchen: Island Cooking of Greece (Hardcover)
I discovered this book when I was invited to dinner by some friends. They had used one of the recipes in it and the food was delicious. I already have several Greek cookbooks but the recipes in Prospero's Kitchen are specifically from the Ionian islands and, living in Kefalonia, it makes them particularly relevant to me.

There's some good background information at the beginning. A section on the islands' history, notes on the ingredients and regional wines. There are a few pages of photographs to set the scene but the recipes are not illustrated. I don't find that a problem.
I like that each recipe is assigned to the island it came from and found it interesting to see the variations on similar dishes.
I can see this becoming my Greek recipe bible.

Concerning the seller, the book arrived in perfect condition and it was an excellent price. It came later than the projected date but, since it was despatched on time, I suspect the Greek postal system was to blame for that. I'd recommend both book and seller to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2014

Prospero's Kitchen: Island Cooking of Greece
Prospero's Kitchen: Island Cooking of Greece by June Marinos (Hardcover - 30 April 2012)
20.00