5.0 out of 5 stars Great for granny!!or to drop hints with granny!!
Published on 14 Nov. 2005 by Mrs N

3.0 out of 5 stars Meaty but slightly patronising
I bought this as I intended to give it as a gift to my mother at Christmas, as we are expecting our first child.

After reading the reviews already posted I thought it would be a good, fun option to include in her "stocking", however after reading it myself, I'm not sure. It is quite a meaty book and not the light read I had anticipated - for my mother in...
Published on 2 Sept. 2008 by Ferryjane

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for granny!!or to drop hints with granny!!, 14 Nov. 2005
I bought this for my mother for a laugh as I have given her, her first grandchild. However I had a quick flick through before I gave it to her and I ended up reading it from cover to cover! It was well written, funny, amusing with lots of practical advice with out being at all patronising! It also contained words to nursey rhymes and also suggestions for games for rainy days etc, which I thought was a nice touch. As my mum (granny!) keeps telling me that things have changed from her day, I think she often feels a little bewildered getting to grips with disposable nappies, car seats and fashionable all terrain buggies I'm sure this book has reassured her she is not alone!!! I would recomend this book to any granny or for expectant mothers to purchase for the grannies to be!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy for a prospective Grandparent, 25 Jan. 2008
I am not, nor am I ever likely to be, a Granny, good or otherwise. I bought this for my mum and started to flick through, and ended up reading the whole book. Lots of common sense and tips from someone who would appear to be an astoundingly good granny able to pass on woodland knowledge, gardening and cookery skills and with a love of literature. Obviously v posh too, which sometimes grated - there are references to school fees, country living and nannies which won't mean a lot to many people. She makes a wonderful granny though, and hopefully her excellent advice in this book will help others to be wonderful grannies too. Buy it for your mum or mum-in-law if you're expecting. Particularly your mum-in-law if your female. Should help smooth things considerably.

4.0 out of 5 stars Third time right, 10 Sept. 2007
Having been a Gran for 18 years..to recieve this from Grandson 3 (now 2 weeks old )I was intrigued. Well, when first 2 grandchildren arrived was working hard had little money and one small child still at home.
I read it with interest and will endeavour to be an even greater long distance Gran to all 3.
It helped to focus my thoughts..provided ideas for keeping contact, it made me laugh.

4.0 out of 5 stars useful info for new grannies, 2 Sept. 2009
A. L. Pion - See all my reviews
Excellent book to give to friends who have just become grandmothers, keep one copy for oneself of course! Lots of information - although we know most of it already, it's a useful reminder especially where it comes to how to keep the kids busy and I don't mean watching television!

5.0 out of 5 stars true to life, 25 Oct. 2009
Ms. J. E. Punyer "true to life" (kent,england) - See all my reviews
As it was a present for someone with a sence of humour, thay were delighted with it an couldnt put it down,best present ever

4.0 out of 5 stars An alarming piece of advice on fields of cows, 11 Dec. 2013
On the whole I found this book full of common sense and wise suggestions, however the author recommends when crossing a field of cows with a pram, you should keep your dog on a lead and if the cows approach you, it is just because they are curious and all you need to do is flap your arms and make a noise to shoo them away. As a keeper of cattle, I know form experience that this advice is downright dangerous.
Cows with calves are very inclined to chase dogs as they are see them as a threat to their calves. It is unadvisable to cross a field of cows with a pram and a dog unless you have no alternative. If you must, and cattle approach you, let go of your dog's lead. The dog can look after itself but by holding onto the lead, you put your baby and yourself in serious danger of being trampled to death by angry cows.

The only other advice in this book I would disagree with is: not to bother keeping your grandchild's artistic efforts because 'they are not Picasso'. Having first displayed her pictures on my kitchen wall to show how much they were appreciated, I kept nearly all my daughters creative work. When she was killed in a road accident, I was very glad I still had many things she had made.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful, 20 May 2006
DocBhoy (Invercargill , New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This book is well written and humourouus , as stated elsewhere . Unfortunately , we decided not to give it to the grandmother in question as I felt the book could be taken the wrong way - ie ' What , you don't like the way I act at the moment , you need to give me a guide ? '

Therefore the book is recommended , but make sure it will be received in the right way .

5.0 out of 5 stars For Granny's of all ages, 9 Sept. 2010
N. Cunliffe "Nich C" (UK) - See all my reviews
Funny and enlightening. If you are worried that you will forget how to look after the little ones....be not concerned...like riding a bike and this book brings you up to date with all the little 'new bits'!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 2 April 2010
L. Thompson (Devon) - See all my reviews
I so love this book !....I am Granny to 2 and just love her ideas and suggestions ! I find it easy to read and think her Grandchildren are vrey lucky to have her ! Well done and glad I bought it

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Expectant Granny Present, 6 Mar. 2012
Leaf (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my friend who will soon be a Granny for the first time. I have a copy myself, and have found it a very useful book, full of sensible advice aimed at grannies. I also loved the ideas on how to share time with grandchildren as well as how one can best help the parents without being interferring.

The Good Granny Guide
The Good Granny Guide by Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall (Paperback - 27 May 2011)