4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy for a prospective Grandparent
Published on 25 Jan 2008 by Mr. David Sawyer

3.0 out of 5 stars A good granny gives good advice
This is very practical book which assumes a close living proximity to one's grandchildren. It is very specific to English culture. I found it helpful.
Published on 9 Sep 2010 by C. Brereton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy for a prospective Grandparent, 25 Jan 2008
Mr. David Sawyer "David Sawyer" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I am not, nor am I ever likely to be, a Granny, good or otherwise. I bought this for my mum and started to flick through, and ended up reading the whole book. Lots of common sense and tips from someone who would appear to be an astoundingly good granny able to pass on woodland knowledge, gardening and cookery skills and with a love of literature. Obviously v posh too, which sometimes grated - there are references to school fees, country living and nannies which won't mean a lot to many people. She makes a wonderful granny though, and hopefully her excellent advice in this book will help others to be wonderful grannies too. Buy it for your mum or mum-in-law if you're expecting. Particularly your mum-in-law if your female. Should help smooth things considerably.

4.0 out of 5 stars useful info for new grannies, 2 Sep 2009
A. L. Pion - See all my reviews
Excellent book to give to friends who have just become grandmothers, keep one copy for oneself of course! Lots of information - although we know most of it already, it's a useful reminder especially where it comes to how to keep the kids busy and I don't mean watching television!

5.0 out of 5 stars true to life, 25 Oct 2009
Ms. J. E. Punyer "true to life" (kent,england) - See all my reviews
As it was a present for someone with a sence of humour, thay were delighted with it an couldnt put it down,best present ever

3.0 out of 5 stars A good granny gives good advice, 9 Sep 2010
C. Brereton (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars For Granny's of all ages, 9 Sep 2010
N. Cunliffe "Nich C" (UK) - See all my reviews
Funny and enlightening. If you are worried that you will forget how to look after the little ones....be not concerned...like riding a bike and this book brings you up to date with all the little 'new bits'!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 2 April 2010
L. Thompson (Devon) - See all my reviews
I so love this book !....I am Granny to 2 and just love her ideas and suggestions ! I find it easy to read and think her Grandchildren are vrey lucky to have her ! Well done and glad I bought it

3.0 out of 5 stars Meaty but slightly patronising, 2 Sep 2008
Ferryjane (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this as I intended to give it as a gift to my mother at Christmas, as we are expecting our first child.

After reading the reviews already posted I thought it would be a good, fun option to include in her "stocking", however after reading it myself, I'm not sure. It is quite a meaty book and not the light read I had anticipated - for my mother in particular who has had a stroke and finds reading long passages quite difficult, I found the chapters quite long and mainly serious, and I don't think she would quite cope with that. I also thought that some of the information and suggestions, whilst mostly sound, are presented in a slightly patronising way and assume that the recipient of the book is either mildly senile or inept, and so I am going to have to think long and hard about giving this to my Mum, who is neither!

I suppose it is all personal choice, however, I would suggest that if you intend to buy this for someone in particular, read it first and consider carefully whether to keep it, or gift wrap it and hand it over with a grin.

Remember - a Granny is for life - not just for Christmas!

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather a waste of time, 2 Dec 2013
Not terribly original tips. Mildly amusing at times, but not terribly helpful. I bought this when I was going to become a grandmother for the first time, but didn't really find it anymore than common sense most of the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Changing from mother to grandma, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Good Granny Guide (Paperback)
This is a very practical and in places amusing guide to being a good granny with notes how others have approached their new role.
I found the words of caution as when to speak and when to stay quiet about how the parents were bringing up their child. I only hope I can follow the advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Granny Guide, 11 May 2009
Hugh Fearnley Whittenstall's mum has written an excellent book on how to be a granny.Recommend it to everyone entering this first time state!
No problem with ordering or delivery.Book was in excellent condition-v.pleased.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Good Granny Guide
The Good Granny Guide by Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall (Paperback - 27 May 2011)