Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 September 2013
I have been sewing for decades, and have occasionally attempted to use draping techniques to make clothes. Two dresses resulted from that. They're pretty good. But i wish i'd had this book when I was doing it. So much detail! So many garments! Jersey top to trench coat, through a red carpet dress. Huge book. Great detail. It's brilliant.

Would definitely recommend it for anyone who loves making clothes, has been working from patterns and has enough experience to build a garment from scratch, but does not want, under any circumstances, to do maths and measure things in two dimensions while trying to make a three dimensional garment. Draping is amazing, as it creates a pattern ON the stand. Genius. Practical. Quick. I'm addicted.

The author takes a red carpet or runway photo and proceeds to demonstrate, with explanations and detailed step by step photographs, how to make it! Best. Book. Ever!
on 19 January 2014
Excellent book if you want to learn dressmaking. You would understand it more if you already have a little knowledge in draping and flat pattern cutting. For a tutor in pattern cutting I found this book to be very inspiration to students due to the designs it had chosen to reflect on. Many Hollywood/Iconic/Statement garments have been chosen. Not a first book for dressmaking, but more of a book for researching on how certain garments are made. If you already have knowledge in pattern cutting intermediate level and have a keen eye for detail you might can workout the methods. Some books might already have covered the Leg of Mutton sleeve for example, but this book will show you how to achieve the Rhianna power jacket look. The book is thick and have a lot of pictures to show you how to create the whole outfit. I have purely bought this for reference and it has pleasantly surprised me.
on 26 November 2013
Wow! Wasn't sure what to expect but this book really is excellent. The book covers a wide range of draping projects that have already started to improve my basic pattern cutting skills. If you can sew and wish to take your skills beyond following/ adjusting patterns then I'd recommend this book. A little prior pattern cutting knowledge probably beneficial but not essential..
on 26 October 2013
From beginning to end, this book is the tops. Chock fulla information, history, and tons of photos. Best draping book I have in my collection now.
on 29 May 2014
I have been sewing for years and flat pattern cutting for a few years. I have one or two very traditional draping books but they are difficult to understand and very uninspiring. This book is packed with a much wider variety of garments than seen in most draping books and is packed with step-by step instructions and photographs which are easy to follow. There are lots of up-to-date photographs of classic garments styles with modern twists. I was so inspired by this book that I started a project soon after it arrived. This book is good for those who've got at least a basic knowledge of pattern cutting and for determined beginners alike.
on 16 November 2013
This is a great draping book for self-study. The book has basic draping to applied draping. Easy to understand and good to adaptation. I reccommend!
on 16 January 2014
A great book that covers the basics of draping and encourages you to try much harder draped garments. The book is substantial and I feel I got a lot for my money. I use the draping method everyday in my job but still feel there was something to learn from this book.
on 29 July 2014
This is an excellent book to work your way through systematically . I have been dressmaking for over 40 years and was inspired when watching the latest 'Great BRITISH SEWING BEE' to try my hand at draping as a more creative means of dressmaking. With this book I am learning both basic and more advanced skills of draping in easy to follow steps and pictures. The book in itself is lovely to look at and excellent value for the price. The instructions are interspersed with fashion history depicting vintage clothing from films and crazes, showing these can be draped to achieve that particular iconic look or inspire you to adapt them to design your own look.
Update: I have now worked through the book and consequently have already designed and made my own nightie, blouse and skirt, I won't be buying any patterns in future; as well as the fact I have garments that are original and fit me well, I no longer have to 'conform' my figure or adapt printed patterns.
on 11 October 2014
Brilliant book with excellent tutorials and historical references. Disappointingly it didn't arrive with the tutorial DVD as it should have. This meant I had to wait for this to be sent separately by the shipper which was done. Besides this, it is an excellent product for anyone wanting to understand pattern making.
on 9 November 2013
This is one of my absolute favourite sewing books. So beautifully laid out and designed, this is a larger than average book with an unusually generous spirit. I love reading through the chapters and I am learning so much on the way. There is also a dvd which shows the draping process in great detail. I recommend this book to people who want to gain an understanding of the draping process and about fabric as an artistic medium in general. What a treasure.