5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful traditional media drawing showcase, 25 Oct 2013
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Walk the Line: The Art of Drawing (Hardcover)
Length:: 2:04 Mins

Walk the Line: The Art of Drawing is a delightful collection of artworks that celebrate traditional drawing.

This is a thick 320-page hardcover authored by Ana Ibarra and Marc Valli. The cover is those cardboard cut off at the sides, and the pages are off white, non glossy.

The work curated and showcased are outstanding. Well, there are 66 artists so you get to see a huge variety of work. The media used are mainly pencils, graphite, charcoal, ballpoint and ink. These artists are masters of the tools they use. It's quite amazing what effects the tools can produce, such as realistic fur drawings with pencils, the textures created by ballpoint pen hatching. The illustrations are really beautiful, detailed.

It's difficult for me to pick any particular artist or piece and say that's my favourite. Every artwork is unique and has their own charm, some alluring element. All are inspiring to look at, be it portraiture, pattern designs, animals or scenes from imagination.

Each artist also has a short profile talking about their background, techniques, style and other stuff.

Highly recommended to those who like contemporary art and illustration in traditional medium.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

4.0 out of 5 stars MAYBE NOT TO EVERYONE'S TASTE, 12 Feb 2014
Jeff Walmsley "JW" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Walk the Line: The Art of Drawing (Hardcover)
I didn't like this work as much as Parka. Our views are obviously totally subjective, so how much you like it depends on whether your taste in art matches his or mine.

The skills on display vary from the mind-boggling to the average, and the subject matter from the sublime to the repellent, and from the enchanting to the pointless. For my taste, too many of the examples are creepy, ugly, gross, or depressing - none of these genre matching my view of the purpose of art (note: MY view; yours may be different, which is fine). A psychiatrist would have a field day with some of them.

Some examples are glorified doodles of the kind I used to make at long, boring meetings when it wasn't my turn to bore everyone else. Others are exercises in pure skill, and therefore appear to qualify more as craft than art - which certainly has its place in this context - whilst still others appear to qualify as sign-writing or graphic design, neither of which interest me greatly.

If I were rating the content en masse, I perhaps wouldn't give more than 3 stars; but despite the nature of much of the subject matter, I'm still glad to have it; it's good value for money in terms of PPP (pix per pound), I found it "interesting" (I would put that in italics if Amazon allowed) and I've quite enjoyed browsing it. However, if your taste is for the conventional in landscape portrait, and still-life drawing, you might find better use for your money.

I suspect that the cardboard covers will deteriorate pretty quickly with much handling, especially the unprotected corners. Can't see the point of this kind of bookbinding.

ARRAY(0xafa441a4)

Walk the Line: The Art of Drawing
Walk the Line: The Art of Drawing by Ana Ibarra (Hardcover - 14 Oct 2013)
16.72