Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2013
My daughter eats nothing for real and she is 16 months old. This book helps me a lot to undertsand her and to learn what really a child needs. It makes me feel much better and releases my stress
on 17 August 2008
Reading this book has made me totally reassess how I feed my son and has taken the stress out of family mealtimes. The key messages in the book are:
Never force your child to eat
Offer him healthy food
Trust your child to eat what he *needs* to eat
I am now much more relaxed at mealtimes and my son actually eats more, with no tears or tantrums. Thoroughly recommended!
on 17 March 2013
I think it is one of the best baby books out there! My child doesn't like solid food and this book calmed all my worries.
on 25 November 2015
Understandably a little out of date but good ideas. Wish I'd read it while my first was still a baby as would have helped with breastfeeding and BLW
As with all gentle parenting books it's about managing your expectations rather than expecting miracles
on 8 March 2016
Perhaps it should be called 'My Baby Won't Eat'.
We're having 4 yr old trouble and it didn't help a bit.
on 21 February 2013
This has really helped me to look at my child's approach to food in a different light, one that is making our lives much happier. There are some excellent points regarding growth and development that I needed to know and the recent changes in our society expectations with regard to how much children eat is well covered. I recommend this to anyone who thinks their child is not eating enough.
on 2 March 2012
This book is absolutely packed with examples of parents' fears and worries about the eating habits of young babies and children...if you are worried about your child and food, the chances are that the situation, and its remedy, is described in Carlos Gonzalez' book.

He takes you right back to the basics, demonstrating how children have an innate ability to regulate their own intake according to the needs of the body. This is such a reassuring book, but has a very strong message about the importance of enjoyment of food for the growing child's wellbeing, well into future life, and the need for parents to offer a selection of healthy foods...nothing more.

Gonzalez puts it all into perspective; are you on a feeding schedule? How would you like to be forced to eat? He separates out the nutritional problems from the psychological aspects of food as punishment and reward.

I have learned a new way of looking at some well-known but fascinating facts from this book, for instance, mammals learn the flavours of foods their mothers eat through her breastmilk, hence the reason babies might reject 'baby food' but are keen to try the food mum is eating. This is an absorbing book, and highlights a very basic and important part of bringing up a child in this day and age of anorexia, obesity and MacDonalds.
on 12 August 2009
This book is invaluable for any mother ~ better still, buy it when your pregnant; as it discusses the importance of breastfeeding and how this develops into healthy eating habits for babies and children. The information is research-based, logical and easy to follow. An excellent book.
on 28 January 2007
We were having a few problems weaning my daughter, and the doctors thought she ought to weigh more. We were recommended this book and it was a god-send.

It doesn't tell you what to give your child to eat (apart from the obvious - healthy food), but it does show you how to go about weaning, and how to encourage your child to eat - without leaving your child with bad eating patterns or phobias that could last a lifetime.

Also - it showed us how to stop worrying, a major factor, as she was picking up on our stress at mealtimes. We were worried about ending up on the "House of Tiny-Terraways" at one point due to her eating, but not now.

The doctors are no longer worried about her weight and although she can be fussy at times (aren't we all) she now eats like a horse - result!

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. If you are having problems, it should help you, and if you are about to start weaning, this gives you all the tools you will need to do it successfully.
on 8 April 2013
I honestly think all parents, maybe particularly mothers, would benefit from reading this book. The author explains scientifically why your child simply doesn't need to eat as much as you think, why they are unlikely to love vegetables, and why you should basically just trust them to eat what they need. There is a very interesting chapter about breastfeeding too and how the child regulates the composition of the milk according to how long they feed, how often, and from one or both breasts.

Reading this book has transformed my attitude to my son's eating. Before reading it, I did my best not to let him see that I was worried about his food intake but I still worried. Now I just leave him to get on with it. Mealtimes are much less stressful.

This isn't a book about how to get your child to eat more. It is how to convince yourself that they are actually eating enough already, even if you are 100% certain that they are not. The chapter on "How not to force your child to eat" can be re-read again and again any time you feel yourself slipping back into old habits!