5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, I fell in love with it from the first page!
Published 3 months ago by Agnieszka Solska

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but same plot as Tithe
Enjoyable enough but the plot structure was largely the same as Tithe - specifically in Gavriel paralleling Roiben. I liked the Tithe trilogy, and then I loved that Black wrote something distinctly different with the Curse Workers trilogy, so I was disappointed that this feels like a rehash.
Published 4 months ago by luciente

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, I fell in love with it from the first page!, 9 April 2014
This review is from: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown (Paperback)
I should start by saying that I love books about vampires. Always have - when I was a kid I fell in love with fantasy, S&F and the mystical & magical. If I saw anything about vampires, I tried to read it! Unfortunately now the genre has been marred by the countless poorly written clones of the "Twilight" series, so it takes much longer browsing to find a worthy book.

I am totally amazed at this one! The moment I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I was reading it at home until late at night, and couldn't wait to get back from work to continue. I think I read it in 3 days, only stopping when I had to eat and sleep! I can absolutely say I LOVE IT.

It tells of a world in which Tana, the main character, lives - a world in which humans close and bar the doors and windows at night, so that they are safe from the infected Cold Ones - vampires - roaming the outside. Tana is a pretty wild teenager going through a turbulent relationship with her on-and-off boyfriend Aidan and dealing with her own painful past, until a fateful night when she goes to a party and wakes up next day in a house full of the dead bodies of all her friends... except Aidan, chained to a bed, and a mysterious young man chained next to him. An unlocked window makes it clear that Cold Ones have got in, but when she hears them whispering through the door and trying to get in, and she realizes the young man is a Cold One himself, she has to make a decision on whose life to save. And so begins an unexpected whirlwind of events which will change her life completely.

The book has a series of unexpected twists and turns and I'd hate to give anything away, as I got so much pleasure out of reading this book waiting with bated breath to see what happens next. I can definitely say that while I think this is supposed to be a "young adult" novel, it reads like any adult book - I definitely didn't find it childish or immature in any way. It has some of what is termed "mature content" - several very well written sensual scenes that definitely make you want more!

Tana is a strong heroine, who behaves and "felt" to me like a real live person. I identified with her throughout, and felt she made the best decisions she could under the circumstances which life threw her - such a difference to often annoyingly portrayed teenage girls in books. Actually Aidan was much more flighty than her... so much for stereotyping! Practically all the characters in here are believable living people who have to face their own weaknesses and life's difficulties - and we see what kind of a person they are by the way they face them. It's not a morality play where good always conquers evil - this absolutely feels like real people facing real life dilemmas.

This whole book leaps out at you, grips you and draws you in - I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who can face a darker side of the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars The grimy side to vampires, 18 Oct 2013
Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Holly Black's vision of a world with vampires in the public eye is full of interesting elements. The spread of vampirism was a mistake and it's treated as a disease with quarantines in special Coldtowns. Going cold is treated in a way similar to junkies and withdrawals; it's not in any way glamorised, despite the TV shows broadcast from the Coldtowns which draw in groupies whose lives will be forever changed. Those going cold are almost zombie like.

Each chapter has a wonderful quote on the subject of death. I thought they were well chosen and added something to the book. In places, the video blogging culture reminded me a little of Mira Grant's Feed. I always appreciate modern life creeping into fantasy books in this way. Of course people would be blogging about vampires if they existed and chasing them across the country in the quest for content.

I did feel too much time was spent on Aidan and Tana's relationship at the start. He seemed like a vehicle to get her to a Coldtown rather than an integral character and I would have preferred more time given over to the rest of the back story; the culture around the vampires, how they came to be public and Gavriel's past were all fascinating. I loved Gavriel; there's something appealing about a deranged vamp when so many are depicted as sophisticated or charming. Although I suppose you can be deranged and sophisticated!

So it's a bit slow to start but the second half had me gripped right up to the end. Tana's choices are brave and the ending was perfect for me. It's not often I think that (and I don't know if this is a standalone or a series). I would like to read more but I am satisfied where it ended up.

Review copy provided by publisher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampires With Bite, 17 Oct 2013
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In a world where a single vampire bite is enough to infect an ordinary human, anyone suspected of the infection is swiftly sent to live with the vampires in Coldtowns.

Tana lives close to Springfield, Massachusetts, the first and biggest Coldtown in the US. It's a place where the Eternal Ball and live feeds from Lucien Moreau's mansion have made internet superstars of the undead. And though there's plenty of people who want to live in Coldtown - and are willing to barter blood for immortality - Tana isn't one of them.

But when events for Tana inside Coldtown's walls, all she wants is to get out again. Except no one leaves Coldtown - alive or undead.

At last Holly Black has written a vampire book! This excellent author of dark YA fiction is highly qualified to take on the undead, and this is where she proves it. Tana is a misfit heroine - half rebel, half responsible - but there's nothing obviously special about her, except she's brave and loyal, and refuses to give up, even on those who deserve it.

The story starts in a dark, gory way - and it doesn't much change. If you're squeamish, or prefer your vampires to be charming and toothless, this is not for you. Gothic, dark and intense, Tana's troubles transfixed me from the first chapter, and didn't let go until long after I'd finished.

Then there's Gavriel - beautiful, brooding and insane - or the charming, too easily led Aidan, with the twins Midnight and Winter representing those signing up for a lot more than they understand. As always, Black's characters are intriguing and unusual, their reactions painfully human at times and always interesting.

Gory and gruesome at times, with moments of whimsy and even a touch of romance, these are vampires without any gloss, surrounding a strong, capable heroine who just wants to go home. Holly Black is a master at what she does. I wonder if there will be any more from Coldtown... I hope so.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but same plot as Tithe, 23 Mar 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good but..., 16 Oct 2013
L. J. Lee - See all my reviews
This is a enjoyable read. I like the characters. The plots different to other vampire books but I felt at the end there was something missing. I think a sequel is needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books i've read!, 14 Oct 2013
I chose this book at random after seeing it online it is one of the best written books I have read in a long time. The story had me from the very beginning and I fell in love with the main charactor almost imediately. This book is a great book to get your teeth stuck into and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a different take to the vampire genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope there's a book 2, 30 May 2014
I incredibly enjoyed this book and I was glad that gavlier some typical arrogant vampire, and that the heroine wasn't portrayed as the typical annoying lead that depends on the the guy. I hope soon there will be a book 2 coming out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Who said paranormal was dead?, 18 May 2014
This review is from: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown (Paperback)
You know when you go to a concert and the band leaves the stage because its “over” but the crowd knows that there will be an encore, so everyone starts chanting “WE WANT MORE, WE WANT MORE!” over and over until they come back on. Well, that’s all I can hear in my head while writing this review. Although I thoroughly enjoyed this book I cant help but feel a little let down with the ending. This is a standalone novel but could easily be part of a duology or even a series. Has Holly Black purposefully left this open ended or is that really it?

This book had been on my radar for quite some time prior to this review. Having not read anything by Holly Black before I thought it was time to give her a go. Believe me, it certainly won’t be the last time I read a book of hers. Although this had its flaws, I was able to look past them and enjoy the book for what it is.

Admittedly I'm always sceptic to read paranormal fiction as it has become annoyingly tiresome since twilight. I mean, what vampire sparkles in the sun and is a vegetarian? I'm sorry Edward but you just aren't cutting it for me. I want malicious, natural born hunters. I want vampires who kill with no remorse and take everything they can get. I’m not looking for a love story. I’m looking for straight up badassery! You’ll be glad to know that this book has it all, everything that I mentioned above and more is included is this brilliantly crafted novel.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was a refreshing read as it is the polar opposite of Twilight. Right from the offset I knew that I was going to enjoy this book, the premise was exciting and Holly Blacks writing was incredible. I didn’t think that I’d get so caught up in this world that Black has created but I crave more of it. No, I don’t crave it…I need it.

I don’t want to spoil you too much; instead I urge y’all to give this book a chance because if you’re anything like me then you’ll love it. This is an unforgettable book that I know I will enjoy rereading over and over again. I can’t help but think that paranormal fiction is finally redeeming itself; with authors such as Holly Black, Julie Kagawa and Jennifer L Armentrout around I have hope for the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising read. Excellent, 9 May 2014
Not my usual read at all, but was a great book, fast moving and you really get to know the characters. Thrilling read you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 1 April 2014
I have loved all of hollys books, but I think this is my favourite, didn't want it to end. I would have preferred it to have a bit of a longer story, but was still a fantastic read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black (Paperback - 6 Feb 2014)
6.95