5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, I fell in love with it from the first page!
Published 8 months ago by Agnieszka Solska

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't quite feel it...
Despite owning a copy of The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black for a very long time, I didn't read this book until very recently. I had my doubts about the vampires and the thought that this possibly wouldn't be the most original story, and if I'm honest, I was put off a little bit by the size of this book at over 400 pages.

Once I sat down with The...
Published 4 months ago by Michelle Cardozo

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, I fell in love with it from the first page!, 9 April 2014
This review is from: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown (Paperback)
I should start by saying that I love books about vampires. Always have - when I was a kid I fell in love with fantasy, S&F and the mystical & magical. If I saw anything about vampires, I tried to read it! Unfortunately now the genre has been marred by the countless poorly written clones of the "Twilight" series, so it takes much longer browsing to find a worthy book.

I am totally amazed at this one! The moment I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I was reading it at home until late at night, and couldn't wait to get back from work to continue. I think I read it in 3 days, only stopping when I had to eat and sleep! I can absolutely say I LOVE IT.

It tells of a world in which Tana, the main character, lives - a world in which humans close and bar the doors and windows at night, so that they are safe from the infected Cold Ones - vampires - roaming the outside. Tana is a pretty wild teenager going through a turbulent relationship with her on-and-off boyfriend Aidan and dealing with her own painful past, until a fateful night when she goes to a party and wakes up next day in a house full of the dead bodies of all her friends... except Aidan, chained to a bed, and a mysterious young man chained next to him. An unlocked window makes it clear that Cold Ones have got in, but when she hears them whispering through the door and trying to get in, and she realizes the young man is a Cold One himself, she has to make a decision on whose life to save. And so begins an unexpected whirlwind of events which will change her life completely.

The book has a series of unexpected twists and turns and I'd hate to give anything away, as I got so much pleasure out of reading this book waiting with bated breath to see what happens next. I can definitely say that while I think this is supposed to be a "young adult" novel, it reads like any adult book - I definitely didn't find it childish or immature in any way. It has some of what is termed "mature content" - several very well written sensual scenes that definitely make you want more!

Tana is a strong heroine, who behaves and "felt" to me like a real live person. I identified with her throughout, and felt she made the best decisions she could under the circumstances which life threw her - such a difference to often annoyingly portrayed teenage girls in books. Actually Aidan was much more flighty than her... so much for stereotyping! Practically all the characters in here are believable living people who have to face their own weaknesses and life's difficulties - and we see what kind of a person they are by the way they face them. It's not a morality play where good always conquers evil - this absolutely feels like real people facing real life dilemmas.

This whole book leaps out at you, grips you and draws you in - I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who can face a darker side of the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars The grimy side to vampires, 18 Oct 2013
Curiosity Killed The Bookworm (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Holly Black's vision of a world with vampires in the public eye is full of interesting elements. The spread of vampirism was a mistake and it's treated as a disease with quarantines in special Coldtowns. Going cold is treated in a way similar to junkies and withdrawals; it's not in any way glamorised, despite the TV shows broadcast from the Coldtowns which draw in groupies whose lives will be forever changed. Those going cold are almost zombie like.

Each chapter has a wonderful quote on the subject of death. I thought they were well chosen and added something to the book. In places, the video blogging culture reminded me a little of Mira Grant's Feed. I always appreciate modern life creeping into fantasy books in this way. Of course people would be blogging about vampires if they existed and chasing them across the country in the quest for content.

I did feel too much time was spent on Aidan and Tana's relationship at the start. He seemed like a vehicle to get her to a Coldtown rather than an integral character and I would have preferred more time given over to the rest of the back story; the culture around the vampires, how they came to be public and Gavriel's past were all fascinating. I loved Gavriel; there's something appealing about a deranged vamp when so many are depicted as sophisticated or charming. Although I suppose you can be deranged and sophisticated!

So it's a bit slow to start but the second half had me gripped right up to the end. Tana's choices are brave and the ending was perfect for me. It's not often I think that (and I don't know if this is a standalone or a series). I would like to read more but I am satisfied where it ended up.

Review copy provided by publisher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampires With Bite, 17 Oct 2013
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In a world where a single vampire bite is enough to infect an ordinary human, anyone suspected of the infection is swiftly sent to live with the vampires in Coldtowns.

Tana lives close to Springfield, Massachusetts, the first and biggest Coldtown in the US. It's a place where the Eternal Ball and live feeds from Lucien Moreau's mansion have made internet superstars of the undead. And though there's plenty of people who want to live in Coldtown - and are willing to barter blood for immortality - Tana isn't one of them.

But when events for Tana inside Coldtown's walls, all she wants is to get out again. Except no one leaves Coldtown - alive or undead.

At last Holly Black has written a vampire book! This excellent author of dark YA fiction is highly qualified to take on the undead, and this is where she proves it. Tana is a misfit heroine - half rebel, half responsible - but there's nothing obviously special about her, except she's brave and loyal, and refuses to give up, even on those who deserve it.

The story starts in a dark, gory way - and it doesn't much change. If you're squeamish, or prefer your vampires to be charming and toothless, this is not for you. Gothic, dark and intense, Tana's troubles transfixed me from the first chapter, and didn't let go until long after I'd finished.

Then there's Gavriel - beautiful, brooding and insane - or the charming, too easily led Aidan, with the twins Midnight and Winter representing those signing up for a lot more than they understand. As always, Black's characters are intriguing and unusual, their reactions painfully human at times and always interesting.

Gory and gruesome at times, with moments of whimsy and even a touch of romance, these are vampires without any gloss, surrounding a strong, capable heroine who just wants to go home. Holly Black is a master at what she does. I wonder if there will be any more from Coldtown... I hope so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 3 Dec 2014
For quite a while now, I have seen many a book vlog, and many a review raving about Holly Black as an author, and how some of her books are by far the favourites of many a book reviewer. The main book from people’s reviews that drew me to her was that of The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, it has a complete mixture of reviews, and because I am a sucker for a vampire story (no pun intended) knew I had to give it a read and see for myself what it was all about. The blurb drew me in instantly; it brought a picture of almost a post apocalyptic world full of vampires, and this one girl’s story of survival within it.

I was worried at first that there would be no originality within the story, I mean, what more could be done with a vampire story, they have all been done before. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how different this story was, certainly no sparkly Cullen’s but more of the monstrous blood sucking vampires we have seen in the past. Throughout this book you are worried about the cold infection, and the transition into becoming a vampire. The entire journey follows the main protagonist Tana, her ex boyfriend Aiden who has been infected with the cold virus after a massacre at the party they all attended, and a mysterious boy/vampire named Gavriel. We follow Tana, a strong willed, and seemingly independent girl and her journey deciding on how to save her ex, her will to make him not turn and to outlast the cold virus the full 88 days that it ravages through the body. We learn of her past, and see snippets of her life pre the life changing horror at the party, learn of her past experiences of her mum and the cold virus and the devastation left in its wake. We see her unusual relationship with Aiden, and flashbacks to that of their time together, and on top of this we learn more about the horror of Gavriel and his past. Now I don’t really want to go into too much detail about each of their stories, as they all provide that little something extra, and that bit of horror and gore and what has happened, and even the shock factor. There is nothing better than reading it all first hand.

Holly Black creates this visionary world of horror and imagination. The detail within it really enables the world to build and develop within your own imagination. The detail used to create the Coldtown really provided the dark and almost fearful place, you worried for Tana when she simply walked down the street at night, the fear circulating the development of the vampires allowed you to worry about Tana, and you really just didn’t know what would happen. Holly had no holds barred as to who would be a victim and who would be a villain, the twist which happens around the middle of the book genuinely shocked me, and I couldn’t believe I had been fooled either. I felt with most authors as a reader you could see what was about to happen, and I honestly didn’t, I felt angry for Tana, and willed her survival even more.

I have to say I loved Tana's character, the moments where she had that awkward moment of wanting to laugh when in an awful situation surrounded by bodies, the hysteria of not knowing how to deal with the horror that has happened but to want to laugh, yet her dealing with the whole situation she found herself in was handled better than most, and I really felt she should have given herself more credit for how she dealt with it all, and then the strength she found amidst the fear and horror she found herself trapped within.

Then there was Gavriel, I wasn’t sure what to make of him, he was this mysterious boy tied up with chains that Tana found, and yet knowing what he was felt she had to save him. Very little is given away about Gavriel in the first few chapters, you are left with Tana's impressions and descriptions of him, and it is only when we learn more about his past and about the horrors endured that you really get to know him. I ended up really liking Gavriel, I loved the development between himself and Tana, and I loved the dangerous side to him, the crazy mixed in with the sane, you just didn’t know which way he would go. In the end Gavriel certainly becomes swoon worthy and my only upset was that we didn’t get to see enough of him with Tana, as I really enjoyed seeing the two of them together; I felt with Tana we were able to see a completely separate side to him again.
The ending to this book was ANOTHER major twist I did not see happening, it all seemed to be going on, but I loved it! I didn’t expect it, and I loved that I found out just as other people did and I had no clue as to what would happen.

I have to say when I started the book I did find it a little slow and I wasn’t sure how I would continue as i was struggling to be sucked in (even with the opening pages being filled with such horror), but then the next thing I knew I couldn’t put it down, and I have no idea where that started but it was still pretty early on in the book. So for the story to develop the further along you go into it, the more hooked you get. So for those who maybe want to start out the book and are finding it a bit slow in the first chapters, it does get better, it is simply scene setting and character building at first. But I can honestly say I really enjoyed this book and I do recommend it to those who love vampire stories, with gore, twists turns and who just love to lose themselves in such a well developed world as that which Holly Black has created.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was bloody brilliant!, 21 Sep 2014
This book was bloody brilliant! It chucks you straight into the action with a giant teenage massacre (no big deal…) and from then on the action/tension/drama/every other type of greatness doesn’t let up. It had me hooked from the start with its incredibly dark atmosphere; add in merciless, vicious, deranged and good old bloodthirsty vampires and I couldn’t put it down. They’re not Twilight’s Cullen family that’s for sure.

Holly Black wrote vampires like you’re supposed to; I’m not criticising other vampire books, but these are the real deal which we learnt about as kids to scare us into behaving properly. Of course you have the occasional odd one, but it all works into the bigger picture. The society created was really interesting and while there was the occasional lull because of background knowledge it was still interesting so I tip my imaginary hat to Holly Black.

She even managed to add a romance that I admit I didn’t expect to play out quite like it did. You never knew exactly what either Tana or Gavriel meant with the way they acted and Gavriel is simply confusing. He’s the dark and misunderstood (but not in a cheesy way, nothing about him or their relationship was cheesy) ancient vampire who’s barely survived this long. Tortured to the point of madness I didn’t expect any compassion from him, so when he protected Tana and showed his human side I couldn’t help but love him. And I don’t want to spoil anything, but that final scene… aargh I can’t even… b-e-a-utiful.

I loved just about everything in this book and I definitely recommend, along with all of Holly Black’s other work. Her talent for storytelling is undeniable and I can’t wait to read more from her.

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book., 23 Aug 2014
So this is the first Holly Black book I've had the pleasure of reading and it was probably the best book I could have started with of hers. I loved her writing style, it just flowed so freely and it just made for such an easy read. Now don't get me wrong, most books I class as an easy read (unless they are by the notable contemporary authors) aren't that great, they are an easy read because there is little to no substance to the book, thankfully that was not the case with this one. Not only did we have a plethora of back story as to why the vampires were there in the first place, but that was mixed with a healthy amount of flash backs.

My weakness for vampires goes back 17 years, which considering I'm on 25 is a lot. I owe my love of them to the very first episode of Buffy The Vampire that aired in 1997 and Angel made his first appearance in, since then I have been what you could call somewhat hooked. And because of this, one of the things I related to loved about this book was the Coldtowns. Why do you ask? because as silly as it is, or as crazy as people might think I am, if I lived in a world like the one Tana lives, I could totally see myself being one of the people who treks across town to get to one of this Coldtowns were the vampires live. (I promise you I'm not in need of psychiatric help haha)

The story to this book was pretty damn one of a kind, and that's something else that I fell deeply in love with. I'm pretty sure that regardless of liking it or hating it, I would have still rated this book highly for originality alone. Vampires were first exposed after a newly turned and poorly trained fledgling made his way across the country causing havoc and feeding on whoever he wanted. Soon after the discovery of their existence, Coldtowns were built where they were quarantined and left . Once you go in to a Coldtown you never come back out. Vampires have become an obsession for most in the story, what with 24/7 broadcast's from the Coldtowns to glorify them and make them seem more inviting than they are.

Tana has never been one of those people, not only does she wake up to find all her friends dead, but she finds her ex boyfriend tied to a bed with numerous bite marks and a vampire seemingly no older than her self at the side of the bed. Gavriel isn't like many other vampires though, seems to be on the run from his own kind and after they find them at the house Tana makes a rash decision, to take him to a Coldtown as well as Aiden, her ex who is now in the process of turning Cold. (a lot more happens obviously but I don't want to give anything away because its a good book)

Not only was the story line good but the characters also had a lot of promise. Tana had her moments of breakdown but through the book she managed to keep as much of a level head as she could, and even though she acted brave she was just a scared girl at the end of the day who didn't want to turn out like the rest. Aiden was probably my least favourite character. It's not that he was poorly written, I just feel he was written in such a way that you would dislike him and if so, mission accomplished, if not than I cant change how I feel haha. Gavriel however, I loved. He reminded me so much of Louis from Interview with the Vampire, and being a favourite of mine that's nothing but a good thing.

Like I said, this book was just a really unique story and I'm upset that it was a stand alone, but I guess that's a good thing in a way (that's not to say I wouldn't devour a second book). I'm pretty happy I read this, because I have been dying to. I'm just glad it lived up to my expectations.

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't quite feel it..., 13 Aug 2014
Michelle Cardozo (Wokingham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews

Once I sat down with The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, I found myself being sucked in almost effortlessly by this story. That first chapter really surprised me. It was dark and violent and it went places that shocked me. And similarly, I quite liked the way the story ended as well, though I can see that it could make some people feel a little frustrated.

This story is set in America at a time when vampirism has spread like crazy. In order to combat the spread of vampires and to protect humans, Coldtowns were created. These are walled cities in which vampires live and are meant to keep them in. Once you enter a Coldtown, you're not to leave. Coldtowns also have become reality TV sets as people are so fascinated and intrigued by vampires and are desperate to know what's going on in them.

The main character of this story, Tana, wakes up from a party only to find out that there has been a massacre and everyone at the party except for her and her ex-boyfriend have been slaughtered by vampires. It's all a little bit tense getting out, but she manages to save herself, her ex, AND a vampire and goes on this journey towards the nearest Coldtown.

I thought Holly Black brought us some incredibly interesting characters in this story, characters that I really wanted to know more about. I liked the main character, Tana, even if I didn't always fully understand her decisions or motivations. My favourite thing about her was her relationship with her little sister and how much Tana wanted to protect her. I also found it interesting to see some of Tana's flashbacks and memories of what happened with her mother.

Along the way to the Coldtown, Tana not only spends time with Aidan, her sweet but exasperating ex, and Gavriel, this mysterious vampire but also comes across other fab characters. Midnight and Winter, brother and sister, are vampire-wannabes who are heading to Coldtown hoping to be infected and turned and to broadcast their experiences on their website. I liked that there was not only revulsion and fascination shown towards vampires but also this obsessive longing from some characters. In fact, the entire mythology of Holly Black's vampires was very interesting and it gave it a new twist.

My only criticism of this book is that there are all of these great characters populating the story and unfortunately, I didn't really felt the connection that they had with each other. There's a lot of backstory told between Tana and Aidan's previous relationship and a lot of build-up of tension and feelings between Tana and Gavriel and I just didn't believe in it throughout. In fact, towards the end, several key players start dying and doing shocking things and I felt slightly distanced from these events. I thought the action was exciting and the pace was fairly quick for a book of this length and, like I said, I loved the characters. I just didn't quite feel the friendships or romance at all. Despite all of this, I shall definitely be picking up more stories by Holly Black...

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough Heroine, Troubled Anti-Hero and a Great Take on Vampirism, 30 Aug 2014
I loved this, even though it is yet another vampire book. The heroine is not a Mary-Sue, the anti-hero is convincingly troubled rather than dashing and brooding, and the plot revolves around a remotely believable premise: that Tana, the heroine, doesn't want to turn into a vampire. Unlike many YA books, her motives and goals change along with the plot, and this is a real strength.

Holly Black begins her story with Tana waking up after a sundown party, finding herself the only survivor of a brutal vampire attack. We aren't encouraged to sympathise with vampires or find them mysterious and attractive, and Tana's own past fills in some of the gaps in our vampire-knowledge without creating boring exposition-dumps. She rescues her ex and the vampire who is chained up next to him, and they make for the nearest Coldtown.

Coldtown's are like leper colonies for vampires. One big strength of Black's book is that the condition of vampirism is treated like an epidemic that must be militarily contained, and this conflicts with the way that some vampires view themselves - as Masters of the Universe and even bizarre reality TV stars.

I really enjoyed it. The plot isn't overly predictable and the characters' decisions are realistic. It's a good new twist on a tired theme, and there are no shadows of a trilogy emerging so it's a great stand-alone read.

5.0 out of 5 stars do not read if you are a twilight fan, 29 Nov 2014
This book is truly amazing. It captures you right from the start. It is nothing like soppy twilight and I was afraid it's going to be...the protagonist is a strong, multi dimensional female character unlike comatose Bella. The whole story seems like it actually could be real, it's raw and sensual but not sickly. It is truly a new way of writing about vampires. Despite all this good stuff tho there are some bits to be criticised - like the lack of clear cut climax and an abrupt end. I'm glad this book isn't a series but something tells me it might as I reckon it's going to be a hit and would be awesome turned into a movie but as the franchises go and milk the industry the sequel might ruin the original concept of this one off piece. To wrap it up - read it and enjoy even if you aren't a fan of vampire stories and if you are an avid fan of twilight...well you might be disappointed ...or it will make you see that the coldest girl in cold town is waaaaay better than twilight ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but same plot as Tithe, 23 Mar 2014
Enjoyable enough but the plot structure was largely the same as Tithe - specifically in Gavriel paralleling Roiben. I liked the Tithe trilogy, and then I loved that Black wrote something distinctly different with the Curse Workers trilogy, so I was disappointed that this feels like a rehash.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black (Paperback - 6 Feb 2014)