Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you run a business or work for an organisation that, as yet, doesn't use 'social media', then this book is for you.

Michelle and David have covered every available option that the current major players provide.

You'll learnt the difference between a 'tweet' and an 'update', and you'll be up-to-speed on all the jargon you'll need.

They cover procedures and policies, do's and don'ts suggestions/tips and strategies.

I must admit I gave up reading after chapter 5, as it's not really the sort of book you can read all in one sitting.

It's not really aimed at the self-employed, (which is what I am) and words like 'leverage', 'pitched' and 'humanising your brand' rather leave me cold, hence the 3 stars.
VINE VOICEon 23 August 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a Marketing and Social Media professional, I'm always interested to read new books on the subject and look for tips on how I can improve my business strategy.

This is one of the more comprehensive books on the subject I've come across, as it covers a lot of the foundations of running social media for business, such as how to define your audience, create a strategy, daily account management and the importance of social listening.

It also covers in detail how to use the main social networks: Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, including how to set up accounts and the basic terminology and uses. Other networks such as Pinterest and Google+ get a shorter mention towards the end of the book.

This is a fantastic book for anyone new to social or anyone with a small business trying to find their feet in social media marketing. However, for those who are more experienced this book is unlikely to impart any new information but it may give you a few ideas on how to improve your strategy or content plan.

Still, a worthwhile read for anyone in the industry, especially newbies.
on 20 August 2014
The book is pitched at large organisations and not to those of us who work in small businesses. Like an earlier reader I too found the book glib. I would have liked a comparison between the various social media as to which one is the most effective for different types of businesses and why. Those of us who work in small organisations have to use our time as effectively as we can and need to know what works best and what doesn't and from dipping in and out of this book (it's too dry to able to read it in anything but very small chunks) I'm none the wiser. It needs better examples of measurable results and evidence to back up these theories. And the book needs better case studies of different organisations - small, medium and large and examples of companies whose effective use of social media has increased profits for that company not just raised brand awareness - which is intangible and as far as I know can't be measured.
on 21 November 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're in business and not using social media you could well be missing out on custom. This book is geared towards larger organisations however, and while some of the thinking behind the theory was very interesting, I did find it not that relevant to someone running the websites and social media for a couple of small businesses. If you're into serious business marketing this is a must read but for the small business owner or sole trader there are more relevant books out there.
on 5 July 2013
This book is undeniably the 'bible' for those of us who do social media for our businesses. Before it teaches you about the fundamentals behind each platform, you are introduced to the reasons WHY and how we should be harnessing this sometimes viewed, black art. Michelle and David demystify social media and take your through your paces so that you can develop a strategy and campaign that will give you results. Highly recommended.
on 15 July 2013
I run a web marketing agency in London and I always aim to keep myself informed and up to date on all ways to market a business online and help our clients in the best possible manner.

I source most of my inforrmation from social media and the internet in general, but once in a while I read a book or two and the writen press also.

I was recommended this book though and purchased it on amazon and it is an excellent purchase.

It is a GREAT book to tally achieving what it sets out to do:

· Practical, step-by-step guide - almost a training manual

· Goes from extremely basic right up to advanced level social media

· Lots of tips and case studies

· Shows how you can incorporate social media into your marketing and business plans

And the best thing of all is that is doesn't go out of date because the writer run a blog in parallel to the book keeping you constantly up to date with social media platform changes and new tips.

I have certainly picked up a few good tips and been reminded of basic principles which I know of but so often overlook.

All in all, a great purchase and if you run a small / medium size business and need to get up to scratch with your Socail media activities, this is a great book to start with.
on 24 July 2013
I am a 70 year-old who sold his company and retired just as the internet was beginning to have an impact on business back in the late 90s. I joined Facebook in 2006 and LinkedIn and Twitter more recently. I did this out of curiosity and to see how I might have used them if I was still in business. I could see they were relevant but without actually using them to promote anything I felt there was most certainly gaps in my understanding.

I then used Facebook as blog for an adventure I carried out. (Search for "The Great Norwegian Solo RIB Raid" on Google yourself and see the result.) This did draw out over 1,000 event visitors without trying too hard, and I could see I was on the edge of understanding something, but that there huge gaps in my knowledge.

As a result I bought Michelle Carvill's book and have just finished reading. It's impressive stuff, and I can see that if I was still running my company I would have to follow her approach.

But the whole business of being social is not something to be taken lightly. A clear strategy is a must and a carefully coordinated tactical plan is vital if time and money are not to be wasted in the implementation.

If you are running any growing business you need to read this book.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Whilst I've been using social media for over a decade, I wanted to keep au fait with the constant changes and find ways to improve my use...making it more productive for me. There are a lot of interesting new ways of looking at things and genuinely useful tips for helping to gain new customers. I found it straightforward and jargon-free, although of course relevant vocabulary is used.

I'd recommend this to anyone using or wanting to use social media to strengthen their business...whether you're experienced or not in use of social media as I guarantee you will learn something.
on 17 November 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a basic introduction this is okay. Like most books of this ilk, you could probably figure this stuff out yourself or even look it up on the web.

However I thought it was okay for a quick skim. I learnt or reminded myself of a few things.
on 1 October 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I dabbled in social media a few years ago and honestly truly hated it. Tweeting, facebooking, stumbling... all codswallop and an utter waste of precious time that could be spent directly on my business. I deleted all my accounts and have had an extremely happy few years away from the online fake-happiness.

But my partner decides it's time the business had a social presence and yours truly gets put in charge. I created my facebook and twitter accounts and the sickness in my gut made me decide I don't want to go into this alone. This book turned up to be my guide.

I was definitely not expecting too much but this book is a calming voice. It goes through the various platforms and helps you understand which ones are suitable and how to develop goals so you don't end up wasting time.

I'm still reading the book and deciding on the strategy before I leap in. I'm finding it useful as it's slowed down the "leap in first" tendency and making me think about what I want to achieve for the company. It's also a good outline of the platforms and although I'm only focusing on facebook at the moment, I can see the others being handy at some point.