VINE VOICEon 22 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found this an excellent book , very informative, not lost in the technical detail but also showing the business benefits to be gained. This was especially clear because it talks about how consumers now expect fast immediate contact.
It naturally does over blow things a bit - I'm not sure Armegeddon will come for those firms without a full on social media approach - as ever you'll probably need to tune it for your business - maybe a CEO blog won;t be needed for an engineering firm supplying components ..
But what it does do is make it clear that just like the web sites - if you do this , then do this properly
The worse thing is a half hearted attempt
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Running a small business, and being mindful of the massive growth in the sphere of Social Networking, I was eager to read this book and see how best to pick one's path through the variants of the phenomenon. Sadly, after reading this book, I was not any the wiser, really. I find it glib and not terribly engaging, and I am still unsure how my business - PR - could really benefit from what (generally uninspiring) tips the authors were parlaying. Social media seems, to me, at least, not as influential as the printed word, and I still fail to see how 'tweets' or someone on Facebook telling me what they had for lunch or whether they are going to see such and such a film is really going to help my business improve. I remain to be convinced, a feeling only exacerbated by this somewhat turgid book. Buyer beware...
on 6 December 2014
Really interesting and something any small business should really be looking at!
VINE VOICEon 5 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In our business, we employ professionals to handle social media for us, so I approached this book to see whether a) our contractors knew what they were doing and b) to better inform myself so that I could test their proposals more effectively. This book achieves both of those objectives. I doubt it would launch you on a social media career (though it might prove whether that is a realistic option).

I think expectations must be realistic. You can no more master social media from it than you can learn carpentry from a book. I'm not really sure whether the authors planned you to read it through or dip into it; if the latter, that would explain some of the recapitulations of previous material that can get a little tedious in places. I found myself thinking I could have taken a hundred words out of a chapter without difficulty, but I think this is just the authors wanting to ensure that an idea is understood before moving on to the next.

Depending on the business you're in, you may feel that Pinterest gets a little less focus than you would like, but the principles that apply to LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter still apply to Pinterest. It would have been interesting to have a more exhaustive analysis of the strengths of each or, indeed, how you determine the value of each to your business.

However, if you're prepared to study it closely, take your time, and think about the material in here, I can't imagine there is much it doesn't cover. It isn't a substitute for hiring in professionals, but it does allow you to use them more effectively and cost-effectively and in particular it should guide you to create a goal-driven strategy for social media rather than just doing it because everyone else is.
on 11 September 2013
Covers all social media eg facebook, twitter etc an how to get the use out of each . Good starting book
on 31 January 2015
Useful for my PhD Study
on 10 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Find social media very interesting as communication channels and a friend was advised by a head hunter to really up her linked-in identity.

I ordered this with the intention of sitting down with her and working things through.

What is so good about it is not only a comprehensive overview introduction but it makes you answer why you are using a channel and then not only gives you some great case histories but also provides real tips.

Not only does it make things really clear but it makes it very apparent that to do social media well is going to be hard work and incredibly labour intensive.

Highly recommend this.
on 5 February 2016
ok not that great
on 9 August 2013
Bringing their expertise to bear on this sometimes vexing subject, Michelle Carvill and David Taylor show you how to create a viable social media strategy for your business and how to build and grow a community effectively using these channels. It is essential to take the time to work on a marketing plan to establish your goals, these social media experts guide you through the maze. Thoroughly recommended.
on 6 August 2013
I've read, re read and re read this book already in the last few months. A great guide to constantly dip in and out of to learn then re-cap and refresh the four social platforms, LinkedIn, YouTube Facebook and Twitter. As well as covering these platforms the book really gets you on board with social media and talks you through integrating it into your marketing strategy. It's a must have on your desk.