Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )Verified Purchase
A very engaging discourse on consumer perception of price and how this can inform pricing strategy. This is more a 'thought provoker' than a primer on the subject and I felt that some of the applied examples were rather lightweight. However, as a catalyst for challenging my attitudes and as a prompt for internal discussion on how we approach the subject I found it very useful.

It is very easy in business to see cost from the perspective of the seller and Caldwell encourages one to work back from the angle of the buyer. The concepts he expounds are not profound or novel but did enlighten in the way that something only seems obvious once it is expressed. Very worthwhile to stimulate strategic thinking and with a helpful bibliography for anyone who needs to read to a greater depth on the subject.

Caldwell's training was as a mathematical economist and he runs a business advising on price modelling. He therefore knows how to apply the concept and my sense that the examples were lightweight is probably the product of his efforts to communicate what are abstract concepts. Overall, he achieves this effectively. Recommended for anyone who runs a business or who works for a business at the interface between marketing and finance.
I love books like this.
I'm self-employed and anything that helps me understand how clients think before they pay for a service with me, is welcome and Leigh doesn't disappoint.

I wasn't mad about the 'chocolate tea-pots' bit of fiction running through the book and have commented on a previous review that it's annoying to combine fiction with a non-fiction book, but apart from that this book does what it says on the cover.

I felt quite inspired after I read it and made some changes to my pricing structure (not my prices) and saw an immediate benefit.

When you run your own business or you're a sole-trader, having help in actually running the business side of things is very helpful....and since this book discusses the psychology of how people think before they buy...it was money very well spent!!

The book covers every possible pricing scenario you might have in your business. It's not just aimed at the self-employed, the techniques would apply right across the board.

Leigh writes in a nice, friendly style, so you end up feeling informed and raring to go!!
Great book, I highly recommend it!!
VINE VOICEon 11 February 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Cost plus is the most prevalent pricing model, set as it is against the things that can be measured and to a greater or lesser extent, controlled. Charge what the market can bare, has after all, been very successful, regulated by competition. Much has been written on the mechanisms of price maintenance, the Boston Matrix represents the entropy of goods in a market, and as the science of persuasion comes of age (at least as scientific research catches up for persuasion came with Adam and Eve out from the Garden of Eden) then the means of price maintenance have become more sophisticated.

This book presents a number of common sense (in retrospect, then things generally are when well explained) and easy to follow ideas and much of the sense of that is down to the clarity of the writing and the layout of the book. It isn't that this represents a revolution in pricing theory, but it does highlight new avenues for the majority of us to try, different perspectives and I for one welcome it. A book well worth reading.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a topic I am interested in and there is a lot of relevant and

helpful information and examples in the book. I think if we truly knew

why 100% of buy things 100% of the time we would be on to a winner but

the answer isn't that simple, however there is a lot of food for

thought in this book especially in the "why people buy" area as well as

the tricky question of how much to charge for a product. I haven't

finished reading this book because it's a non-fiction book and I tend

to not read those cover to cover from page 1 as I would a novel. I

tend to jump around to relevant chapters and sections I'm interested in

so this review will be updated when I have finished completely. So far

3/5
on 18 June 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Unlike some other reviewers, I found the fact that this book is part theory and part case study story really refreshing. It means that the information is absorbed by both your left and right brain areas, making it easier to understand and then apply to your own situation.
The theory is well-researched and presented in a way that is simple to 'get', whilst containing enough gravitas to be trusted.
I have personally applied several of the methods from this book to my own business and found an instant increase in sales.
It's not a book I would 'dip in to' - I'd probably want to re-read it.
I'm grateful to the author for helping me to question our society's long-held misconceptions on pricing and to rewrite the way I position products with my customers.
Well worth the read.
on 20 May 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was a cracking read and I'm delighted that I ordered it. In fact, when I saw the blurb, I was really surprised that there weren't more books already out there on this crucial topic.

Another reviewer quite rightly comments that this is "more opinion than fact". I would actually agree, but personally I didn't feel this made it a less valuable book. It's very readable and gives a really helpful introduction to thinking about pricing - not something that people in most roles or organisations get to do at all, even when working with price models that are already employed in their business. This book helps to start the thought process about why a price may be set at a certain level, the factors that may affect it, and new ways of thinking through the psychology of price.
VINE VOICEon 26 March 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think this book strikes a good balance between an illustrative dialogue and practical, implementable advice.

Within a couple of chapters I found myself re-thinking the pricing strategy used by our family business - cost of manufacture plus mark-up versus value to customer - and pondering at length how to build greater perceived value - versus competing on price alone.

Since reading this book I have found a couple of others of great help regarding the 'perceived value to customer' approach, but this book so far comes out on top.

If you're in business selling 'stuff' (and who isn't?) this book is well worth the small investment in time and money.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What did I learn from this book? One important point I learnt was that value is not always equal to price and that value is subjective e.g. water to a man in the desert is priceless, but water to a drowning man is a hindrance. I learnt about focusing on what people want, i.e. demand, about perceived value and how to add to it and I learnt about what to do in the case of inflation, among many other valuable points.

Relevant to the UK, this book is not only useful, but is entertaining to read because of its running storyline: how to sell chocolate teapots. It is a very practical book with sections on 'how to apply it' as well as little exercises.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 April 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So the psychology of price. The reason I wanted to read this to see if applying the principles from this books could help improve sales on a website I manage.
In short it didn't really help, but it didn't do damage either.
That is not the say that this book isn't pointless though.

It covers some interesting theories and principles most interestingly memory and expectations and reframing your prices.
The whole book made for interesting reading and contained a lot of sound business advice. I'd say it is probably a useful tool for anyone running a business if you have no experience. Worth a read even if it didn't help me improve sales.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Firstly this book is not a guide to exact pricing or a book that says go with £9.99 over £10 because people will fall for the trick of it being cheap. It basically talks about generally how price, brand and value all link together. It talks around how pricing a product doesn't just give it a monetary value, it is also gives the purchased an opinion of how good the product is and whether at that price it fits in with the persons values and beliefs. This is perfect for a web E-Commerce expert like myself as it allows me to think about my pricing from the perspective of the customer and not what I think it should sell for, Strongly recommended.