4.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary Story but left Exasperated
I, like another reviewer had read an excerpt of this book in the Daily Mail which left me wanting to read more. Whilst I echo the comments of the other reviews, I was left absolutely exasperated when, in the last chapter, you discover that Louise takes her daughter to live back in Cyprus! After all she has been through I think this is highly irresponsible.
Published on 7 Sep 2012 by Mrs. C. Wills

2.0 out of 5 stars A frustratingly annoying story
I struggled to finish this book as the blind stupidity of this woman was extremely frustrating.
Time and time again she could of prevented what happened to her, and prevented putting herself and her young daughter in danger.
I just felt for her poor long suffering family at home in Ireland.
Sadly, my lack of sympathy or understanding why anyone would do...
Published 19 months ago by jenny

2.0 out of 5 stars A frustratingly annoying story, 20 Mar 2013
I just felt for her poor long suffering family at home in Ireland.
Sadly, my lack of sympathy or understanding why anyone would do what she did (apart from the rescue of course) did not help me connect with her character: so I did not enjoy the book at all. Thank goodness for the child things worked out in the end!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Frustrating Read, 31 Oct 2012
Whilst desperately sorry for Louise's daughter, I found it hard to feel sympathy for the situation in which Louise found herself. She seemed totally selfish and self-obsessed throughout. Her friends and family were expected to constantly bail her out, at great emotional and financial expense, whilst she simply returned time and again to her abusive husband on the grounds that he was 'exceptionally goodlooking and charasmatic'. Even when she admitted that her daughter was afraid of him as he had also subjected her to physical and mental abuse, she ignored this and went back to him with no apparent concern for her daughter's welfare, until she was kidnapped. Like another reader, I was left flabbergasted when she took her deeply traumatised daughter back to live in Cyprus at the end, knowing that her ex-husband had acquaintances there who had spied on her for him in the past and were likely to snatch her again. It simply defied belief that a loving mother would act in this way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely frustrating read., 15 Jan 2013
I'm obviously not he only one to be frustrated by this story. What really annoyed me more than anything, was when I read at the end of the book that she had returned to Cyprus with her Daughter and admitted that she had no knowledge of her ex-husband's whereabouts. What's to stop him trying to abduct the child again??

3.0 out of 5 stars Stolen from Syria, 11 Jan 2013
I was not impressed with this book, it began to annoy me how many times this woman made silly mistakes that brought about this situation.

1.0 out of 5 stars No talent as a writer, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Stolen: Escape from Syria (Paperback)
I am a big fan of auto biographies and memoirs and realize that many are written by ordinary people who may lack the writing skills of experienced authors, but this does not usually spoil a good read. That was until I read 'Stolen' which was truly dreadful and I could not wait to get to the end of it. The vocabulary was more suited to a trashy magazine,and I was surprised the words 'beaten' and 'starving' were not in bold print. I only continued to read the book to find out what happened to the unfortunate child, but the author's repetitive phraseology and continued reference to other people's shock and sympathy for her situation really got on my nerves.

2.0 out of 5 stars One sided, 24 Aug 2013
Started this book with an objective mind, clearly I wad being led to believe this woman suffered a horror. Half way through the book it is clear that she is to blame and despite her husband's unforgivable behaviour, I truly believe she played a big part in her daughter's suffering. When a woman marries into another culture, she must respect it and she clearly did not.

Several times she refers to Syria and Muslims in an unfortunate manner and I found this insulting and very ignorant. Perhaps she married a man with little money and he lived in the poorer parts of Syria. Most of Syria is just as beautiful as Lebanon and very western and I am disgusted at her references which are both discriminatory and offensive. Just because the woman in Lebanon told her she was Christian she trusted her!!!!

The only reason I rated it 2 * is because I felt she kept it interesting and only became offensive towards the end, perhaps she should apologise!

3.0 out of 5 stars book escape from Syria, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: Stolen: Escape from Syria (Paperback)
Was a little disappointed in this book, it tended to be very repetative, could have been about three quarters of the number of pages

3.0 out of 5 stars STOLEN - ESCAPE FROM SYRIA, 5 April 2013
Didn't think this book was particularly well written. Can't believe that lady would have gone back to where it all happened bringing her child with her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable Journey, 19 Mar 2013
Although, I admired her bravery and how she was able to rescue her daughther from her husbands family in Syria and how she successfully rescued and escaped from her violent husband and family. However, I do find It is unbelievable that she would want to return back to Cyprus, to live with her daughter. Surely her experience with her husband's abduction of their daughter and the truama she experienced whilst she escaped from Syria coupled with the worry her family in Dublin went through, I feel she would want to start a new life elsewhere, where her daughter would not be accessible to her husband.

Overall, I enjoyed the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustration, 13 Mar 2013
having been in an abusive relationship i find it incredible she went back to this man so many times. i left my life & would not go back for anyone, my son comes first the rights of his father stopped the day he raised his hand at me. no wonder the authorities didn't act. the boy who cried wolf comes to mind!!!

Stolen: Escape from Syria
Stolen: Escape from Syria by Louise Monaghan (Paperback - 14 Feb 2013)