5.0 out of 5 stars A hallowed tome from the Saint of Guitar Tutoring.
For the man who has given so freely of his time and knowledge to those of us trying to learn the guitar, I felt that the very least I could do, by way of a "thank you", was purchase Justin's book. I pre-ordered on Amazon and have had a few months with it to date.

Published on 1 Nov 2011 by C. I. Evans

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing.
This book is for beginners. So why did they not publish every song with every line with the chord above the lyrics? Instead it appears to me they cut corners and really didn't consider that the book is for beginners and should be clear and easy to follow. So don't waste you money on this one just get free songs online and print them off.
Published 1 month ago by Mr. W. Muir

5.0 out of 5 stars A hallowed tome from the Saint of Guitar Tutoring., 1 Nov 2011
C. I. Evans (London, UK) - See all my reviews

Now I work in IT. I have grandiose ideas about my ability to learn from books and these plans never materialise. As a result, I have cluttered every place I have ever lived in with thousands of $ worth of "Teach yourself . . ." type books. All I have learnt is that sleeping next to them (bedside table) or balancing the laptop on them does not assist learning by osmosis. (I have grave doubts now about that technique, but that is another story.)

Justin's book has proved to be an exception to my rule. It is dog-eared already, margins filled with my scribbled pencil notes and has that 'trusty textbook' feel about it. It got that by being truly, truly useful, engaging, entertaining and enlightening.
I cannot recommend it enough. Someone said something about it needing a CD. No way. Justin's lessons are available online. Get with the plan, Stan!

I have a past littered with those weak and failed attempts at learning the guitar. No longer. I am progressing positively, I feel guilty if a day passes without me picking my guitar up. I feel that I can advance from those annoying plateaus in the learning process. This book spurs me on. I give Justin Sandercoe all the credit with his method and, more-over, his making it available to me, free, online and it augments the book brilliantly to be able to follow online when I get stuck. This book has been the cherry on top. It has been a chance for me to feel a little better connected to the man who has given me so much. I know that I speak for plenty when I say this.

BTW, I have an extensive collection of IT related books available to interested parties, mostly covering very old versions of SQL, PHP, C, Objective C, CCNA, Perl, Python, ITIL, Prince2, Xcode with some as new as iPhone Programming. Anyone?? Also a few old songbooks and guitar technique books as found in your average old-hat sheet-music store. Just kidding.

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for beginners!, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Justinguitar.com Beginner's Songbook - 2nd Edition (Spiral Bound) (Spiral-bound)
Something for all early years guitarists in this well thought out learning method.
It's probably just my incompetence but I would also suggest that if you can master the wealth of songs in this book you would be what I would consider to be an intermediate level guitarist at least! There was plenty to interest and inspire me even after 5 years of self study.
.....and what a nice guy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent companion to the freely available lessons, 27 July 2011
This book is good as a 'stand-alone' guitar book with songs graded by difficulty. It really comes into its own, however when it's used alongside the justinguitar.com beginner's course (which is freely available). There's a fair selection of songs for each level of the course, but whether they work for you is ultimately down to individual taste.

The printing and typesetting are clear and well laid out, and there are a few performance / more advanced hints for each song.

It's a shame that the book isn't spiral bound, but that's the only niggle.

If you're following the course, and can spot a few songs you like, then the book is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource as long as you know what to expect, 17 Mar 2012
A. J. Sturgess "Alan Sturgess" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The reason I've opted for 4 stars instead of 5 gel with several concerns made by other reviewers in various reviews.

To bring these together --

The book is VERY hard to use unless you want to risk cracking the spine. It really should have been ring bound. Its frustrating to be studying a song and to have to weight the pages down to stop the book shutting itself. It's smaller-than-usual width also makes it impractical to use on a music stand.

A CD should have been included. The book assumes you know the songs (which are drawn from a very wide and eclectic range of genres and styles).

To get most benefit from ths book you need to be familiar with Justin's website and tutorials. However, as you're reading this online, there's no reason why you can't search out his fabulous website and then dive right in --- but a CD would have let you work offline as well. Maybe Justin will consider making one and marketing it or releasing it via his website?

The book is mostly for people who are singers who accompany themselves, or for those who want to accompany someone else who is singing. It you're looking for tab or notation or melody lines - forget it. What you get are lyrics, chords and tips about strumming styles plus other topics such as hints for fingerpickers.

Chord diagrams are few and far between - so make sure you know your chords or have a good chord dictionary to hand. Having said that, most songs use pretty straightforward chords.

------------------------

OK - those are the reasons why I knocked off one star.

In all other respects, the book is excellent and can be seen as a combined songbook and teaching/learning/tutorial resource. EVERY song is associated with appropriate, useful and clear notes about playing styles and techniques. Songs are carefully sequenced to reflect their levels of ease or difficulty. All songs are shown on the left page with all notes on the right page - so no need to keep turning over. (You can concentrate on trying to keep the darn book open at the pages you want as you simultaneously play your guitar!)

The song index on pages 1-3 is very useful and comes with a way for you to keep a tally of your progress through the songs/lessons.

Justin Sandercoe is renowned for the quality and generosity of his online tutorials and this book is a worthy accompaniment to that resource as long as you know what to expect.

Hopefully this review has pointed out its minor weaknesses alongside it's undoubted strengths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 12 Sep 2012
This is the first beginners songbook I've found that can actually be understood by a beginner! The book is set out clearly and as well as all the lyrics and chords there are strumming patterns and tips for each song. Contains 100 songs from a wide variety of artists.
Great as a stand alone songbook, even better when used with Justin's free online guitar course.
This 2nd edition version is spiral bound so it stays open easily while you play.
A must for all beginner guitar players and worth considering for any player who wants to widen the variety of what they play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Justinguitar.com Beginners Songbook, 25 Feb 2012
You learning guitar, you want to play guitar? Buy the book, go to Justin`s website: justinguitar.com it will be the best move you ever make. If you have other tutorial guitar books, trust me..you will ditch them. Buy this book, go to the website, you will be glad you did. Rock on.

4.0 out of 5 stars would be better with CD, 1 Oct 2011
A good accompaniment to the beginner video lessons. Just like the videos, it takes you step by step through very simple chord progressions. Would have been a lot better with a CD though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 7 Nov 2012
I'm learning to play guitar only with this book and Justin'syoutube videos. It's very helpful and the content is well explained and detailed. One of the best around I'm sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING !!!!, 29 April 2012
COULD NOT WAIT FOR THIS BOOK TO ARRIVE AND WHEN IT DID I WAS NOT DISSAPPOINTED AT ALL. IT IS A GREAT BOOK FOR BEGINNERS AND ALSO A BOOK YOU CAN KEEP COMING BACK TO AGIAN AND AGAIN. TWO BIG THUMBS UP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection of songs and easy to follow with cord boxes on each page., 29 Mar 2012
It builds up from easy three chord songs (some slightly simplified) and progresses to more challenging songs and different rhythm patterns, a great way to get yourself able to sit round the BBQ and sing with friends.

Justin provide free on line video lessons, his explanations and tips are delivered with humour and aplomb. It would have been nice if some of the riffs were included in tab form in the book, but I suppose that is not the audience this book is aimed at. I like the fact that he has transposed these so you can play along to the original song .

Excellent selection of songs from different styles and eras

Justinguitar.com Beginner's Songbook - 2nd Edition (Spiral Bound)
Justinguitar.com Beginner's Songbook - 2nd Edition (Spiral Bound) by Justin Sandercoe (Spiral-bound - 6 Sep 2012)
11.87