5.0 out of 5 stars True Rock 'n' Roll Cowboys
If you are a hard rock fan, let alone a Thin Lizzy fan this is a must read and must look. A stunning book, a biography of the band and a real pictorial treasure.
So much has been written about Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy and it is a treat to finally be able to read about one of the greatest rock bands of all time from two people that were in the thick of it...
Published 23 months ago by N. H. Foster

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting.
Published 24 months ago by robbo's liver

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting., 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Paperback)
2 things.I'm a huge fan of Harry Doherty,all the way back to when he worked for Metal Hammer in the 80's,top rock writer & fan.I am also a big fan of Scott Gorham & an even bigger fan of Thin Lizzy.Originally,I thought this was to be Scott's autobiography,which it is'nt,it's a biography about Lizzy,which is my biggest grievance about the book.There appears to be no new imput from Brian Robertson,Gary Moore,John Sykes or much from Brian Downey.Sure there is a fair deal from Scott,particularly his reflections of the classic-era of himself/Phillip/Robbo/Brian Downey,but there are surely other views than Scott's ageing & at times, possibly forgetful memory ,that should have been sounded out & added to the Lizzy story,in my opinion.Some of the stories & anecdotes,you will have read before in other books,by Mark Putterford or Alan Byrne. There are some magnificent photo's that I have never seen,plus plenty that I have seen,time & time again.Also,if you are a regular reader to the British magazine 'Classic Rock' a lot of the latter text is directly lifted from it's previous issues,& bewilderingly at the end of the book there is a section of the 2012 line-up of Scott's Lizzy,which for me is simply WRONG!It's great that this book will generate some interest about Lizzy,some super pictures,but if like me,you are already a huge fan,then no,there is'nt a great deal here for you,that you did'nt already know.Sorry.Personally,I got a lot more out of the late Mark Putterford's book 'The Rocker'.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Rock 'n' Roll Cowboys, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Paperback)
From the humble beginnings on the Irish Showband Circuit to Arena Rock and that final unforgettable tour and Reading in 1983. Doherty and particularly Gorham are honest in their assessment of what was so good about Lizzy and what was always eventually going to bring the band down.
I love Gorham's own personal views on Lizzy's awesome canon of albums, again honesty is to the fore. I love the way he describes how the band worked together and reveals a side of himself I would never have imagined. Times of doubt that he was up to the job! Doherty was obviously real close to the band and gives the reader an insight in to the dynamics of the various line ups of the band as well as great characterisations from the larger than life Lynott to the shy Snowy White.
The photography is simply stunning, there are some truly iconic shots of Lynott, The Leader and the band. So powerful, having been at so many of the band's gigs I can recall the stage sets, the outfits and the unique dynamism of Thin Lizzy. The place where they always really came alive. I could almost feel that crackle of excitement waiting for Phil and the boys to hit the stage and then proceed to rip it up.
Now that Scott and Brian have finally brought the curtain down on Thin Lizzy,this book provides a brilliant epitaph to what for me will always be the greatest hard rock band in my life time.
'Are You Out there?' Of course we are still out there!!

4.0 out of 5 stars a must have book, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Paperback)
it confirms the stories of Phil Lynott, how he was his own worst enemy. lot of good pictures. But with Scott as co-author it could have gone deeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 July 2013
If you are interested in Thin Lizzy, this is a good representation of the troubles that plagued the band and how they battled with addiction and infighting to survive in the music business. Unfortunately Phil Lynott pressed the self destruct button and it was over sooner than it should've. A great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and moving., 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Paperback)
As a life long fan of Thin Lizzy I thought I knew everything about the band,this book proved me wrong.
I could not put this book down once I started reading it,it is brilliant!!! The photo,s are really great too,most of which I had never seen before.
If you worship the Band ,then buy this book,it,s a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you out there, tell me, are you out there?, 20 Feb 2013
Alison Petrie - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Paperback)
Am I biased, oh yes, certainly am - Thin Lizzy were, and still are in my memory, the best live group I ever saw. I pounced on this book when it arrived and literally hoovered it up. I remember Harry Doherty writing for the "Melody Maker" in the 70s and, given his closeness to Lizzy, he was obviously the best man for the job.

So there I was, turning the pages and re-visiting my life as I remember it all so clearly - are you out there, the amiable drunk man in the audience who threw his arm around my shoulders and got me to dance with him at the Hammersmith in 1981? That's what it was like, the Lizzy army together!

Made me sad, given the early demise of Phil Lynott, but also brought back the most glorious memories of the man and his music and changed my mind about not wanting to see Lizzy without him. So, if "the boys are back in town" somewhere near me, I'm going to go along to pay my respects because Lizzy played a huge part in my musical life and, to this day, the songs live on and I never get tired of listening to them. As Phil says on "Live and Dangerous", are you out there, tell me, are you out there - I reckon there are many people like me who still remember the glory of Lizzy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Insight, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Paperback)
Bought this book for my dad who has been a life long Thin Lizzy fan, it has an awesome insight in to the band and also after stealing the book for a read on Boxing Day I learnt a lot I didn't already know, surprisingly after how much my dad educated me.

5.0 out of 5 stars GRAMDAV, 1 Jan 2013
GRAHAM (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Paperback)
Great read -well worth the money-if you are a lizzy fan this book is a must-you will love reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Paperback)
this is what i wanted for christmas,i give it myself as a present,
to everyone who like thin lizzy i will recommend it its a pleasure to read,
very nice pictures in it to

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for any Thin Lizzy fan, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Paperback)
Got this for my partner as a Christmas gift. He's been a dedicated fan for many years and knows all about the band. He has said this book is awesome! having been reading it since Christmas day, whenever he can. On his say so I'd recommend it to other fans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town
Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town by Scott Gorham (Paperback - 12 Nov 2012)