5.0 out of 5 stars really good book
I'm not into reading a lot with a busy house to run but take this with me.
When I go out and the kids are in the park and its such an easy read and really interesting.
I would recommend this to anyone that is interest about Jessie J.
It gives you a lot to think about yourself and your children all I can say I respect Jessie J more than ever
Published 22 months ago by teresa63

1.0 out of 5 stars FAR FROM THE TRUTH!
I bought this book, and just after Jessie J herself slammed it for not speaking the truth about her life. She is writing her own book which is due to be released on 27th September 2012. I'd recommend buying that instead if you want the facts.

Published 19 months ago by desiree92

1.0 out of 5 stars FAR FROM THE TRUTH!, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: Who's Laughing Now?: The Jessie J Story. Chloe Govan (Paperback)

'Not that the majority of us could care less about Jessie's sexuality, the book - called Who's Laughin' Now? - made more claims about her being openly gay until she felt pressured by her record label to keep it quiet.

We personally ignored the extract because we don't consider a talented young woman's sexual preferences to be `news', but now Jessie has spoken out to address the allegations.

She wrote on her personal Twitter page last night: `Its funny how many people I've dated\slept with that I've never even met according to the tabloids.

`BUT what's that?! *whispers because it's a secret* I'm really a lesbian?! Ha! Thanks for writing yet another boring untrue story.''
[...]

WASTE OF MONEY!

4.0 out of 5 stars who you are, 21 Jun 2012
I have so much respect for Jessie J and this biography has just enhanced that so much. It really expands your knowledge, not just about Jessie J but also about the world in general. It has really inspired me of following my dream. Would always recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good book, 12 Jun 2012
I'm not into reading a lot with a busy house to run but take this with me.
I would recommend this to anyone that is interest about Jessie J.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Jessie's own book, 1 Mar 2014
I. J. Davies "The Rock Addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is far better and more insightful to Jessie's journey than her own effort, ' Nice to Meet You'. It is well written and grammatically crafted. Not a masterpiece, but it gave me more feeling for Jessie than her own auto-biography

5.0 out of 5 stars danni about jessie j, 24 Feb 2014
i thick it was a great book to read and it was great that jessie open up being gay i am and pround of it to and what she has more on with her life and is not salf harming and it good that she did not end in a menlth health hospital like i did and i thick people who r in menlth health that can look to jessie that if she can do it so can others and if you r still in hospital that u will carry on woth life and get of their and do things want u want to do like goals just helf your self to get out and more on and like jessie said in her many of her books that people who judged you they dont know what be going on in your life and that your family comes number 1

5.0 out of 5 stars ok, 10 Jun 2013
this iteam is brilliant and does what it needs to. would recoment it. its cheap and brilliant and got here on time

3.0 out of 5 stars Of Rumors and Gossiping, 24 Jun 2012
I was struck by the awesomeness of Jessie J's voice back in 2007 when I first heard `Sexy Silk' on her Myspace site. In spite of all the aspiring entertainers "friending" me, the effects of social networking didn't jar my mind until last year when I saw the movie Easy A on Justin.tv and heard `Sexy Silk'. A look at Wiki showed that Jessie had written a song that I had heard on the radio, `Party in the USA' that went to number one in the U.S. Her song `Price Tag' had risen to number one in Britain and many places, and she was the first singer to perform on Saturday Night Live before her album hit the stores. Blown away that she had hit the big time, I surfed the net and went to every site imaginable. I noticed that, like me, Jessie seemed to be interested in UFOs and aliens. And I noticed that were it not for Justin.tv and me later buying the album Who You Are, I would have heard `Price Tag' and `Domino' and not known it was her singing it, since I was used to her titillating song and a totally different voice. Having thus learned about her past health problems and the rumors of her sexuality, I just had to buy Who's Laughing No?w: The Story of Jessie J. by Chloe Govan.

Though disappointed that the book seems to be an expose on why Jessie is a "100% Lesbian" as one tabloid put it, there were some things in this unauthorized biography that doused my burning curiosity such as the stimulus behind her drive.

I wondered why many of the singer's songs started out with her broadcasting "Jessie J." In the book Chloe answers my question by informing the reader that Jessie was determined to let the world, especially past bullies and school choir directors, know who she was.

As for the aliens? At age eight, a tomboyish Jessica Ellen Cornish found out that she had a heart condition. To her horror, her rough and tumble days were over. More bad things were to come. While in the hospital her roommate didn't survive an operation. Thankfully, she had the strong support of family because according to the book, she was shy and didn't have many friends. As a last resort, she had to take medicine that turned her skin greenish. The bullies came out of the woodwork and hounded her by throwing rocks and calling her "alien." Adding insult to injury, the loud-mouthed singer couldn't even make the school choir!

Jessica, sometimes with her heart monitor attached, took ballet lessons; which explains why she is so nimble in her performances. The house rocking with family song and soul music the likes of the Funkadelic, James Brown, Whitney Houston, rock and roll, and Bob Marley soothed Jessica's inner blues, which helps to explain her soulful voice. Miss Cornish soon found herself acting and singing in plays such as Andrew Loyd Webber's Whistle Down the Wind. Although her road was paved with Jupiter sized hurricane winds, Jessie had a goal of being an entertainer and nothing was going to stop her.

Last year, a day before her performance, she broke her ankle and yet performed the next day. Take a close look at a YouTube video and you can see her singing Price Tag. She stands up on the casted ankle and sits right back down. Ouch! Jessie didn't seem to be fazed. She doesn't miss a tune which makes sense since according to Ms. Govan, Jessie has a "the show must go on" attitude. Now I know why there is a video of her called "Brat Pit" which I thought had something to do with Brad Pitt. In the Loyd Webber play Jessica, who was the character Brat, had taken a tumble into the orchestra pit. After she got well acquainted with the violins, horns, and musicians; they wanted to take her to the hospital but according to the book, Jessie wanted to continue acting.

The major reason I wanted to buy the book was to find out about the period when Jessie had her stroke. The author says it was at age nineteen (page 86) and Jessie says it happened at age 18 (page 90) which pinpoints the time around 2007 when I knew her. Unfortunately for her, this was when the girl (who had been working four jobs, going to the Brit school, working on an album, and entertained in shows around the country) found out as she recuperated from the stroke that her recording company had gone under just before her single was slated to hit the racks.

The book is a good place for rumor mongers and tabloids to hang out. The author lets us know that like Rihanna, Jessica was "perceived to have been boyish as" a child. On page 34 the author talks about Jessica's "stirrings of girl-on-girl crushes." No family members are quoted and Jessica's friends were supposedly very scarce. Thus, there's no way to know if Jessica had a crush on little Francis Adams, James Barker, or any other boy. One unnamed "friend" had told the author that Jessica "could never get a boyfriend and was unlucky in love." Sprinkled throughout the book are pointers to her lesbianism. By the last third of the book, like a person pouring too much salt, there can be no doubt that Jessie is 100% lesbian; making it hard for anyone not familiar with her to believe Jessie when she says that she doesn't like to be labeled and that she may fall in love with a female or a male.

Yet, Govan notes that Jessie "had some of the wrong people around her" who wanted her to tone down her "100% lesbianism. It was felt that her "coming out as gay would alienate people, especially male fans." Although this is seen as them being concerned about homophobes, this seems to be more a bit of sexism because the fact that they were homosexual didn't keep Freddy Mercury with Queen, nor Elton John from racking up huge sales. And very obviously they didn't notice that this didn't seem to hurt Melissa Etheridge nor K.d. Lang after they came out in the early 1990's. Also, it would be hard for early Myspace friends who listened to `Sexy Silk' and `Finder's Keepers' to imagine Jessie being 100% lesbian. Even if she came out looking like a man, it would be difficult to keep men from wanting to be her "medicine man" after listening to and seeing the burlesque type performances of these songs and "Mama Knows Best" on YouTube. And lastly, I'm sure some little shy boy somewhere might have had a crush on the tall leggy girl who performed with three other girls singing Supremes songs in performances at the Wenn Stage School.

It would have been nice to have read more about Jessie and Brit schoolmate Adele. And I wonder why she chose `Jessie J' as a stage name. Yet I'm glad I bought the book because it shows the impetus behind her drive towards fame. We see some of the motives behind such songs as `Big White Room' (her hospital roommate), `Do it Like a Dude' ( a feminist look at males vs females and yes, so she's "an alien tonight") `Who's Laughing Now' (aimed at the bullies that called her an alien, that choir teacher, people clueless about social networking?), and `Rainbow' (acceptance of all beings).

From reading the book I have an understanding of why the songs on her album span a wide range. According to the book, Who You Are was heavily hit by many critics because "Jessie didn't tie herself down to one genre of music. This is the album that has joined Lady Gaga in the British record books with six top ten hits from her album. It's apparent the buying public didn't mind `Do It Like A Dude', `Nobody's Perfect', `Who You Are', `Price Tag', `Domino', and `Laserlight' being of different genres. And I won't even talk about the five songs (including `Sexy Silk') that can be heard on the big screen.

Of her singing ability, only country and western and opera are missing. She has said that her next album will be more "old school" but "eclectic" as she beholds herself to no one style. Reading Who's Laughing Now? will help fans to understand why she does this.

Lastly, I think the book should have been titled Who You Are or Who She Is, since it's a book that shows why Jessie follows her motto of being "true to Who You Are."

From the loud-mouthed little girl, to the teenager who while taking a ballet test said, "If I fall over, if I wobble, if I can't do it, I will just sing!" to the awesome performer who having been accused of using her bisexuality as a gimmick said, "....I wouldn't want my sexuality to define my music..." we see in this unauthorized biography a young woman who practices what she preaches on BBC The Voice, that to Jessie J, it indeed is all about the voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 15 May 2012
this is a Amazing book about a remarkable person i couldn't of asked for a better unauthorized bio on a person.
i have just finished reading it
loved it 5/5 all the way..

ARRAY(0xadf7dcf0)

Who's Laughing Now?: The Jessie J Story. Chloe Govan
Who's Laughing Now?: The Jessie J Story. Chloe Govan by Chloe Govan (Paperback - 11 April 2012)
6.97