5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read from start to finish
I thought I knew a little about unexplained phenomena, and this book showed me how little that was. Packed with examples that are clearly explained and well referenced, so I was easily able to cross check and get further details when I wanted.

Published on 2 Mar. 2013 by David

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but author was not even interested in being neutral
I brought this, after having enjoyed another book in the series, and I was expecting it to be pretty similar. In may ways it, was, except for the attitude of the author who annoyed me right from the introduction.

Pros:

Published 10 months ago by Perfect Blue

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read from start to finish, 2 Mar. 2013
David (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of Unexplained Phenomena: From bizarre biology to inexplicable astronomy (Mammoth Books) (Paperback)

I read the book in one go, but the book is split into 8 sections, each clearly indexed, so it would be quite easy to pick and choose

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but author was not even interested in being neutral, 19 Jun. 2014

Pros:

The book covers a wide range of topic, in summary form. Enough to give you a good idea of what the topic is, and what topics are out there. The author names his sources, and doesn't try to throw supposition or pseudo-science at you as if it were fact.

This book is a good primer to get an idea of what is out there, and whether a topic interests you or not.

This may seem a short list of pros, but the book worth buying for this alone.

Cons:

Because each subject is not covered in much detail you only get an overview of it. There is not much depth, and a lot of views\facts\myths is left out.

The author also makes it clear from the very beginning that he is down on anything that he considers "belief". He also considers anything that he is down on to be "belief". Regardless of its merits.

He comes across as being extremely condescending and dismissive on a number of topics, and rather than being neutral he makes his personal opinions well known.

It does get a little strange in places because he seems to congratulate certain people, yet is utterly dismissive about some of the topics that these people are well known for.

In some places he seems to include some topics purely because he considers them to be curious forms of madness, rather than because they have any real merit in either science or the paranormal.

The author is also notable for what he chooses to leave out. Probably the best examples are with Roswell and the MJ12 papers.

He manages spend two pages cutting down an author that most people will never have heard off, who wrote a book that most people will never heard off, that contained some rather fringe views on Roswell. Yet he neglected to mention Stanton Friedman, who is probably the world's most famous authority on Roswell.

The same with the MJ12 papers. Stanton Friedman is probably the best known researcher to have covered the MJ12 papers. Not even a mention in the MJ12 section.

You don't just "miss out" something like that unless you are intending not to reveal the information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in parts, 15 Feb. 2013
Martin Fielding (Findon, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is the kind of book that I pick up at railway book stores (or indeed airport bookstores if it wasn't so bulky!) with the intention of whiling a few hours of journey time and I have to say that it is just about perfect for so doing. Contrary to one reviewer on here I expected lots of filler to live up to the Mammoth epithet but frankly there isn't that much here. What you get is a lot of opinion wrapped around even the well-known stories eg Roswell and in this context the writer is very good at debunking where debunking is appropriate especially in comparing contemporary accounts of events with the subsequent often unsubstantiated stories that grow up around mysterious happenings. Where he excels however is in the telling and retelling of many maritime or coastal mysteries - he himself worked on merchant ships for many years - including several very spooky stories that were unfamiliar to me or that I had assumed to be just myths, such as the Flying Dutchman. I don't recommend you read these too late at night or indeed on a boat!

5.0 out of 5 stars PHENOMENAL READ, 23 July 2013
awsome probably a little to much info on clairvoiants but well worth the money enjoyed the ufo subject imenselly
and the life after death subject makes you really wonder what happens next, like the author said its something we will never know or be able to tell this book has given me lots of web sites to visit so it saves me buying more books even though i most probably will, and to finish my review WE are Deffinetly NOT ALONE

4.0 out of 5 stars A interesting coffee table book, 27 Jan. 2013
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
In his introduction, Roy Bainton explains he's been interested in Unexplained Phenomena since he was 13, and the amount of detail in this book reflects this. It's a difficult book to review, so it's probably easier if I outline what's covered.

There are eight sections, and each offers a guide to the various phenomena - obviously there are no real answers or conclusions, as most remain, well, unexplained, but it's a great place to start exploring this area. If you find a particular phenomena which interests you, Roy provides links to websites, and a bibliography.

This is one of those great books to have on your coffee table or besides your bed, to dip in and out of. Although saying that, I did find myself fascinated by certain sections, and ended up reading for more than the length of a coffee!

The eight sections are as follows:
The Age of Unreason
Maritime Mysteries
Panic and Paranoia
Combining the Fringe

4.0 out of 5 stars A Mammoth Excursion into the Unexplained, 21 May 2013
One might be tempted to think that a book with the word "mammoth" in the title - its comprised of almost 600 pages, including the index - will be rather superficial owing to the range of topics covered by the author. In my opinion, however, Roy Bainton's book does not fall into that category. I found it a fascinating read, well written and thought provoking on a variety of phenomena such as UFOs, spiritualism, psychics, maritime mysteries, cryptozoology and inexplicable astronomy etc. The author approaches these miscellaneous areas of the unexplained with a healthy degree of scepticism, rather than simply pandering to the gullible and sensationalist end of the Fortean market where facts can sometimes be sacrificed on the altar of fantasy.

I was delighted to read that Bainton's own interest in the subject of UFOs began as a boy after having read the works of George Adamski (my own interest in the subject was around the same age and by the same route) and when Bainton writes that "over half a century later, my gratitude to Adamski survives, but my adolescent faith in his veracity has taken a severe beating", I felt I was on the same wavelength as Bainton. He also injects a degree of humour into his prose, but one does not feel he has his tongue firmly in his cheek or that he comes across as condescending like sceptics whose sole agenda is to debunk that which cannot be quantified or examined by the methods of modern science. The best way to sum up Bainton's book I would say is to repeat his quote by Charles Fort: "The fate of all explanations is to close one door only to have another fly wide open". This book should provide much food for thought, so long as the reader is not addicted to humanity's obsession with explanations or its craving for ready-made answers to the mysteries of life and the universe. But having said that, reading Bainton's book might throw a little light on a few of these mysteries, which is far better than stumbling around in complete darkness.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read all the way through, 27 Feb. 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - I didn't dip into it, I read it from cover to cover and found it enthralling, even though unexplained phenomena is not a subject I often read books about. I have had a sort of fascination for the unexplained for many years, so I was keen to read Mr Bainton's take on it and was not disappointed. He tries to keep an open mind on the subject whilst only slating those claims which have been clearly disproved. His very readable and entertaining style with the occasional touch of humour makes for an excellent read. As for any omissions, I really can't think of any - he seems to have covered the lot. For those who want more detail, Mr Bainton offers many website addresses and provides a select bibliography at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars I CANNOT explain WHY I enjoyed this book, but I'll give it a shot., 3 Jan. 2015
I CANNOT explain... WHY I enjoyed this book, but I'll try.

I have been reading this book---cover-to-cover---for SOME time now.

It is next to my bed... seems to get better the more I read. The author
seems to throw politics into the mix from time-to-time... I think he was
in bed with the Clintons and Obamas. I'm a Republican, and moved to
Europe after the Clinton re-election... still waiting on aliens to land in
America... was just hoping they WEREN'T from Central and South
America. Maybe this old dinosaur will see another ghost... angel... or,
have another Near-Death Experience... before I die... or get another
DEMOCRAT President.

Politics aside, I DID enjoy 95% of this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 28 Jun. 2013
Although it takes a while to get into the juicy bits of this book, once it does, it's extremely interesting. The chapters on UFO sightings etc were my favouite. Didn't as much enjoy the near death experience section but still thought provoking. The author takes a good standpoint, not too much of a sceptic, not a whole hearted believer. He very much leaves it up to the reader to decide what they believe. The book is packed with references, both print and online, which I fully intend to utilise at some point. I'd like to see some more from this author as he seems like he is very thorough with his research into the topics he is writing about which can't be said for all authors in this genre

5.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday reading, 27 Sept. 2013
Like Mr. Bainton I'm a bit of a romantic when it comes to the unexplained, I'm generally a sceptic but nevertheless enjoy reading and speculating about such things. The author's approach is nicely balanced between healthy scepticism and being open-minded and he isn't afraid to debunk where appropriate. Overall an entertaining read and very good value at nearly 600 pages.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›