5.0 out of 5 stars yet another winner
Once again all that's needed in a good book, Dale Brown always provides a super read but I wish I could remember to read his books in the correct order. I recommend you do this and you will not be disappointed.
Published 18 months ago by Simbacat

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst and first poor novel to date
I'm a fan of Dale Brown and have read pretty much everything he's written to date. The characters and plots have stood the test of time well, until this book.
Published on 1 Sept. 2012 by Martin Tilley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst and first poor novel to date, 1 Sept. 2012
By readying the authors notes at the end of the book you find out he is now a member of the Civil Air Patrol and seems to have written the book as an excuse to publicise their existence and big them up. A bit like Top Gun did for the US Navy air arm, but it doesn't work. CAP is woven into a story which includes the old Battle Mountain airforce base in an attempt to link the old characters in, but the book just isn't a page turner.
In summary, tremendous respect for all the books that have gone before but this was a disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Who wrote this rubbish?, 5 Oct. 2012
This book could not have been written by Dale Brown. It appears to be written for 15 year olds by a 15 year old. I have been a Dale Brown fan and reader for years but this has put me off reading any more of his books.l It looks like he has opted for the James Patterson method of writing - written by a team from an outline. Dale it doesn't work. I gave this one star because the system insists on a star rating. It does not deserve ANY stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book ever, 4 May 2013
This review is from: A Time for Patriots (Paperback)
This rates as the worst book I have ever read. I kept going until the end to see if the end was as dramatic as was intended: it wasn't. There was far too much technical detail that did nothing for the plot which was laboured. The standard of writing was poor - very amateurish - and heaven knows how it made it into the New York Times best seller list. In all, most disappointing; complete rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disaster, 22 April 2013
Poor effort,written one rainy morning I suspect.Normally this author is a good read,this book would be suitable for 11year olds.

2.0 out of 5 stars A strange, disapointing Novel (spoilers), 14 Aug. 2013
This review is from: A Time for Patriots (Paperback)
I have read the previous two Dale Brown books (Rouge Forces, Executive Intent). I understand the earlier books are better but neither particularly impressed me, coming across as poor mans Clancy.
This one had an interesting premise, a domestic terrorism which is not from a clan like organisation. However its squandered by basically being around one location and not adequately developed.
In addition to this is some odd authors tract about the recession. His president does extensive cuts to the economy and advocates volunteering. This is somewhat amusing to a British reader like myself having experienced the derision Cameron's 'Big Society' received. This is allied to endless adverts for the Civil Air Patrol. The mistake Brown makes is admitting he's a member of this group, so the reader gets the impression this is one long advert for the group.
Taking a leaf from Clancy's book, the book introduces McLanahan's son Brad. However, he is usually manipulated and makes little impression.
The biggest problem with the book is McLanahan himself and a plot with the FBI. Apparently assassins are after him, so he goes to battle mountain with the other CAP members. This putts them in danger. Then he organises a volunteer event there, which is an obvious target, and is attacked, leading to several deaths. It just makes no sense.
The FBI plot comes from the fact they run a honey trap on McLanahan's son. This is not nice, but then he cripples one of them with his robot, threatens to kill them and, I'm not joking, gives them pills which can cause cancer. When I read this, I found this massively excessive. However, I later found that Brown was found guilty of Tax fraud in 2004, so this is author tract and a quite nasty, spiteful version of it. After this I lost any sympathy for McLanahn and the novel became a chore.
The one positive I would say is the sect leader Character Paulson is sympathetic in his betrayal.
But the ending is really boring. Once again (as readers of Executive intent will agree) is the Robots help to win. Dull.
Maybe I've misinterpreted it, I don't really know.

1.0 out of 5 stars bored and confused, 21 Aug. 2012
Michael Wardle (UK) - See all my reviews
Just read the airport hardcopy edition, and was amazed how this book could jump from a tedious instruction manual for being in the Civil Air Patrol (itself a fine organisation) to incoherent plot points and strange reactions from characters. I usually love this genre, and some of the technology introduced is interesting but the storytelling just isn't there. This seems to be a not too subtle attempt by the author to present his view on how to be a good citizen in America, wrapped up as an action novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars a disappointing read, 17 Jun. 2011
Mr. Stuart White "Stuart W" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Time for Patriots (Hardcover)
Unfortunately i never really enjoyed this book. I found it hard to keep interested in the story, there were nuclear materials and terrorists to develop a story around and all it seemed to go on about was the civil air patrol. The story for me just didnt work and i hate to say this but i found it boring.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dale Brown - losing his touch, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: A Time for Patriots (Paperback)
I bought my first Dale Brown book(silver tower) at Bristol airport in 1995. I thought it was brilliant. Since then I has bought all his novels and wasn't disappointed - except for the last two. Executive Intent and this one. Both were similar in that the story built and built only to end abruptly and seemingly prematurely. It was like as if Mr Brown thought "I can't be bothered to write anymore". If his next one isn't any better, it will be my last.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read better, 18 July 2013
Read nearly all of Dale Brown's books and this definitely is not his best. I found it dull and devoid of the rip roaring action you come to have expected from this author, if you want dull then this book is definitely for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars yet another winner, 15 Dec. 2013
Simbacat (Great Britain) - See all my reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Time for Patriots
A Time for Patriots by Dale Brown (Paperback - 6 Dec. 2012)