4.0 out of 5 stars If You Love Books You Will Love This
Published on 7 Jun. 2012 by Simon Savidge Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time
Mildly amusing; a mixed bag of laugh-out-loud, plain weird, not-so-funny, cringe-worthy and appalling moments. Definitely worth your time and money.
Published 15 months ago by Hakim Briki

4.0 out of 5 stars If You Love Books You Will Love This, 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Hardcover)
The premise of `Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' is really what the title promises, a collection of snippets of conversations of, well, weird things customers say in bookshops. This collection is a mixture of what Jenn has either observed or conversations she has been part of working for `The Edinburgh Bookshop' and `Ripping Yarns Bookshop' as well as a selection of conversations other booksellers from bookshops worldwide have been privy to. It starts as it means to go on...

Customer: I read a book in the sixties. I don't remember the author, or the title. But it was green, and it made me laugh. Do you know which one I mean?

Through the collection it is not only the weird things that customers say that will have you laughing it is also the things that they actually do. People who want to leave their children in the shop while they browse other shops, let children destroy books and think nothing of it, ask for cups of tea when they aren't shopping there. They often come in clearly thinking a book seller has no real job, they can be rude, demanding and I haven't even started on some of the weird requests that they have when they do want to buy a book.

Customer: Do you have any books signed by Margaret Atwood?
Bookseller: We have many Margaret Atwood books, but I'm afraid we don't have any signed by Margaret Atwood, no.
Customer: I'm looking for a birthday present for my wife. I know she'd really love a signed copy. You couldn't fake a signature could you?

Now I have to add a slight worry/niggle/thought I had whilst I was reading. There are occasions where a customer said something and I laughed because I have pondered such things in the past too, a favourite was `Did Charles Dickens ever write anything fun?', that to me makes perfect sense. I also loathe the film tie in copies of books and so `Do you have a copy of Atonement? But not the film cover, please. Keira Knightley's neck makes me want to punch things.' rang rather familiar with me. Did that therefore mean that I was being made fun of?

Thinking like that, if only briefly, I then wondered about questions like `Do you have anything by Jane Eyre?', it sounds like an obvious fool hardy mistake to make if you are well read, yet it could be an easy mistake to make if you are someone new to books and you might just think that Jane Eyre wrote a super novel called `Charlotte Bronte' or this person could be someone daring to go into a bookshop for the first time and that is the only book you have heard of. (The Beard says I am being too picky, he read the book too over my shoulder because I was laughing so much, though he did think it was perhaps a little churlish to mock someone who didn't know in what year a classic book was published.) It made me question if the book, myself and the author were possibly being a little bit smug? I ruled myself out of this because I had asked myself that question; I have since ruled the book and the author out as I have checked Jen's blog and her passion for books and reading is so clear. There are some bookshop owners I have come across though who do think everyone who comes through their door is a little bit thick or beneath them, see `Mrs Cream Cake Scoffer of Southport' for more on that.

Back to `Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' though. Overall I really, really enjoyed it and have already thought of about ten or twelve people that I will have to get copies for as they love books and bookshops as much as me. It has made me wonder if I would still love to have a bookshop one day though, but when I read things like this I couldn't think of anything better...

Customer: Doesn't it bother you, being surrounded by books all day? I think I'd be paranoid they were all going to jump off the shelves and kill me.
Bookseller: ...

Oh and just so you know I haven't quoted some of the funniest, and they are very funny, conversations from the book as I wanted to merely whet your appetite. So if you love books, and I am pretty sure that you do, then you need to get a copy of this for yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time, 2 Feb. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny, 2 Jun. 2014
I laughed out loud reading this book,however, there are also sad bits in this book that I couldn't even imagine that it might take place in a bookstore. I reckon that this is the reality of every bookstore that we ( the customers) don't realise that these kind of customers' behaviours towards booksellers could take place until this book focused on them and put a finger on. I really recommend this book for all book lovers, you will definitely enjoy it from cover to cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Most people are thick as planks, 20 April 2012
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Hardcover)
Back in 2000 I used to read a website called "Acts of Gord" which was made up of transcripts between the owner of a video/game rental shop (Gord) and his customers. They usually ran along the lines of the customer asking something patently stupid such as if he sold gardening equipment or groceries, or something else like "will this PC game run on my Playstation?". Jen Campbell's done something similar with this book except it's centred around stupid things people ask booksellers instead.

Customers asking the bookseller if they sell things obviously not book related, or trying to palm off kids onto them while they do shopping, or simply being too vague in their questions to warrant any serious answer. This kind of books been done before, Robin Cooper's "Timewaster Letters" comes to mind as well as Justin Halpern's "S*** My Dad Says" (also inspired by Twitter).

While there are amusing moments, the book reaffirmed a belief of mine that most people are thick as planks and obnoxious as well, so reading it had the unintended cause of making me angry at people in general rather than making me laugh. But it's a decent, quick read best suited for the loo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 3 Jun. 2014
This book is absolutely hilarious!!! The stories that the people in this book have are really funny! Couldn't help laughing out loud whilst reading this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and so true, 5 April 2012
I Readalot (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Hardcover)
We have all heard the one that goes 'can't remember the author or title but it has a blue cover, do you know the book I mean?' But as this book shows even more weird things are said by customers in bookshops and as someone on the receiving end I know only too well just how weird and frankly bizarre they can be. There are times when I have been rendered virtually speechless and with other customers looking at me, equally puzzled and trying not to laugh. If you are looking for something really funny to brighten your day then you can't do better than this compilation, flip through at random and there will be something to make you laugh, sigh or groan (maybe all 3 at once). A perfect book for anyone who has ever worked in a bookshop, you will recognise these comments/questions only too well and like me may pick up a few pointers from these booksellers replies! For everyone else it will probably make you stop and think 'Have I ever said anything like that?' At the very least it will give customers an indication of what their poor humble bookseller has to contend with! How would you reply to someone who asked if Anne Frank ever wrote a sequel?

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 16 Jun. 2012
What an absolutely hilarious book!

My favourite parts where from Ripping Yarns - mostly the replies to the customers! People who work in bookshops definitely have a great sense of humour!

This little book is a sure fire hit for any reading fan. Although I use the Kindle now, I spent many years of my youth in book shops and I have heard some really hilarious questions so it's great to see a pile of them put together in a really great collection.

This is a quick read that I can see myself dipping into again and again!

I was also glad to find out that the illustrations showed perfectly on the Kindle!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book lovers laugh, 2 Jun. 2014
A lighthearted look at things people say. If you are a book lover like me you will appreciate the bizarre comments people make. I particularly liked "do you have anything by Jane Eyre?" It is a short book read in a couple hours but it did make me chuckle out loud. Very embarrassing as I was on the train to London .

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny anecdotes, 3 Oct. 2014
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Very funny book containing brief anecdotes from booksellers about weird requests to which they have been subject. Most are gathered from a particular bookshop in London and another one in Edinburgh, with a short selection from others elsewhere in the country/world. They range from the vacant ("I read this book decades ago, don't know the title or author but it had a green cover, do you know which one I mean?"; or "the title was "something something", can you search for it on your computer?") to the chillingly naive ("I enjoyed the Diary of Ann Frank, why did she never write a sequel?") They also include bizarre requests to buy or borrow items such as ice cubes or condoms, or queries on how to cook a chicken. My dad used to work in public libraries and he used to get a lot of similar strange and vague queries as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this collection of true stories is great fun - even if ultimately the book is NOT funny at all..., 27 Nov. 2014
Maciej "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops (Hardcover)
I liked this book very much. This collection of authentic anecdotes works in fact like a kind of probe send into the complicated maze of human mind to collect some most outstanding samples of frequently unpleasant and almost always weird behaviour.

I laughed a lot reading this book and got quite a lot of "O-M-G W-T-fff..." moments. However, once we close this book and give it a moment of reflection, we realize that in fact it is mostly NOT funny at all - in fact, speaking of probes, the ugliness of some of incidents makes think a little of an anal one...

It is a little book which you can read easily in two hours - but many of those true stories will stay with you and give food for thought for days... I recommend it with enthusiasm. Great idea and good job, Ms Campbell.

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell (Hardcover - 26 Mar. 2012)