5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly moving.
I bought this on a whim when it was a daily deal, and it's taken me a while to finish simply because I have been savouring it.

Dunphy is skilled at creating pencil portraits of both his charges and his fellow careworkers, and some of those portraits are heartbreaking. His compassion shines through, though he is also ready to confess the mistakes he made...
Published on 24 Jun 2012 by tiggrie AKA Sarah

3.0 out of 5 stars Children in Need
Although I found this book very informative, I couldn't actually say I liked it. I think the organisation that helped this child, and others like her, have a very important place in today's life.
Published 17 months ago by sandra benardout

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 23 Jan 2013
Couldn't put it down, felt as if I was living alongside these people, and wanted to get involved with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!!!, 22 Jan 2013
Not my usual kind of book but even though I`ve not finished it I`d highly recommend it.
Can`t wait to see what happens but will be sorry to finish it. ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars The girl who couldn't smile, 21 Jan 2013
A really great book very well written love the storyline anyone who like factual books will not be able to put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb read, 20 Jan 2013
Well written and a great story hard to put down. Shane writes with great empathy and the reader feels as though they know the children too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy read, 19 Jan 2013
M. A. Macdonald "mandy" (wales) - See all my reviews
Really easy to read, the words just flowed really nicely. Funny in parts, but also heartwarming. I love a book where I can imagine the characters and feel for them. Would recommend highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Who couldn't Smile, 17 Jan 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, there are parts that made me laugh out loud and parts that made me re read them.

I recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars just got to read more, 16 Jan 2013
I bought this as part of a promotion..12 days of kindle I believe and Im so glad I read it almost straight away and didnt leave it to linger on my to be read list. What an author,, I ve not read any of his other books but some will be added to my wish list later. He paints a very honest picture about working with difficult children and situations, sometimes a little humour comes into it , others times I was shocked at what I was reading. He did mention Torey Hayden.. Ive read a lot of her books and I must say this one felt as if it was written in a similar style.Ive not read any of her novels though.. I couldnt understand why she would write novels when she has a wealth of experiences behind her, but thats beside the point.This book is lovely story of how a special play group was in dire need of some help and fresh ideas managed to pull itself round and help the children at the same time. We meet Lonnie who has needs of his own and his story is sort woven around the play group , very clever we are reading about two parallel tales at the same time. I wont spoil the ending, it caught me by suprise and I admit I had to wipe away the tears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 15 Jan 2013
A very sad but definitely interesting book. It's one of those books when you start reading you can't leave it down .........

4.0 out of 5 stars Captured my heart, 15 Jan 2013
This book was wonderful as a former early years and special needs worker myself it depicts the every day to struggle turmoil but also the happiness that makes it all worthwhile

4.0 out of 5 stars The girl who couldn`t smile, 15 Jan 2013
Fantastic heart renching but funny also must be many children out there in the same sort of situation.
Would reccomend

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 | Next ›

The Girl Who Couldn't Smile
The Girl Who Couldn't Smile by Shane Dunphy (Paperback - 2 Feb 2012)
7.19