4.0 out of 5 stars Heirs of the Body

Published 1 month ago by LINDA

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Heirs of the Body, 8 Dec. 2013
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Daisy Fletcher is asked to get involved in assessing whether or not prospective heirs to what is now her cousin's estate and title are legitimate. Edgar - the current Viscount Dalrymple - has no children and the estate has to go to the next male heir. Edgar invites the people who believe they are his heir to a house-party to celebrate his own birthday and his solicitor, Tommy Pearson - also a friend of Daisy's - has to trawl through the paperwork and find out who is the heir.

Daisy and her husband DCI Alec Fletcher are invited to the house-party and when accidents start happening to some of the prospective heirs her curiosity and Alec's professional instincts are aroused. An unexplained death soon has Alec in the middle of a busman's holiday as he is asked to investigate. I enjoyed this mystery and found myself struggling to work out who was the guilty party and who was the real heir.

Daisy is a likeable character though I am less keen on her husband who can be a little irascible at times. I like the way the children - Belinda, Daisy's step-daughter, and her nephew Derek - are part of the story and I felt the author really brings the children to life.

This book could be read as a standalone novel but it is also part of the Daisy Dalrymple series in which Daisy's insatiable curiosity frequently lands her in the middle of a murder investigation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daisy does it again, 7 Dec. 2013
I discovered the mysteries 'starring' Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher quite by a very happy chance when looking for something new to read at my local library. I wasn't sure but thought I'd give it a go. How pleased I am that I did. Murder on the Flying Scotsman engaged me immediately and drew me into the writings of Carola Dunn. I bought all her other then-published books and have eagerly awaited the ones that have been published subsequently.

I've been avidly awaiting Heirs of the Body. It did not disappoint. Crafted as well as the others, the story swiftly pulls one in and one quickly sorts out who one is rooting for and who the ne'er-do-well(s) are likely to be. The background is well established without overlong descriptive passages. Old friends are welcomed; new characters quickly establish interest and either sympathy or reservation.

What I think I most enjoy about Dunn's novels are the strong and well crafted story lines, the credible, likeable characters (with exceptions of course - but well drawn exceptions), the meticulously researched period details and an energy which keeps things moving at just the right pace for full enjoyment.

In fact my only real gripe is that Dunn can't write them quickly enough! I guess I'll just have to re-read.

4.0 out of 5 stars And So To The Last One ...... for now, 2 Jun. 2014
Shouna Falconer (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple) (Paperback)
Having read my way through all the DD books, I've finally reached the end with a little sadness because, while these books have their faults, Daisy is such an irresistible character, and somehow gets into your world, or draws you into hers, I'm not quite sure which. I think this is one of the best in the series. It's always promising when Derek and Belinda are involved, and they play a big part in this adventure. Daisy's cousin Edgar has reached the age of 50 and so had decided it's time to find out who his heir is. Various Dalrymples come out of the woodwork, and they're a motley crew. Of course it isn't long before strange things happen. Could one of them possibly be trying to bump the others off?

There are the usual inaccuracies which seem to pepper these books. Twice before we've had Belinda, and then Belinda and Derek reading the Dandy and the Beano, years before the first issue appeared. This time we have something equally annoying, and that is Daisy's insistence on calling the children "kids". I'm sure the aristocracy of the 1920s would never have used such a word. I certainly can't imagine it among the nobility of Downton Abbey. Nevertheless, this book makes an entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping, 9 Dec. 2013
Could not put the book down kept me intrigued right to the end. I Can not wait for next book

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series of books, 6 Dec. 2013
And this is one of the best. Credible characters and good storylines, I always wait with anticipation for the next one. Well worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Daisy is rather like a young Miss Marple, 23 Jan. 2015
LINDA (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple) (Paperback)
The story is rather far fetched, but it is undemanding - there is very little violence and it is a gentle read. Daisy is rather like a young Miss Marple, she solves the crime, Scotland Yard are totally inept, they are willing to arrest someone with no evidence at all. I have read several of these stories and Daisy is now married and a mother, there is some interest in the attitude of the times. I shall probably read the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, 11 May 2014
Linda Smith "50s fan" (Bury, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
I like these books as they are very easy reading when you don't want something too heavy. I would recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted., 7 Mar. 2014
I just love Carola Dunn's books and was delighted when I discovered she had written a new one in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Implausible, but good, 6 Mar. 2014
Graham R. Hill (Ilkley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I'm not knocking the implausibility; there wouldn't be much of a series without it. But the conceit that it is Daisy's cousin's responsibility to identify his own heir is, well, complete nonsense. It's a good read though, well up to the high standard set by the author previously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 5 Mar. 2014
Saw these advertised in magazine at dentist. Could not resist buying. Lovely, old fashioned read. Will be ordering more titles

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple)
Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple) by Carola Dunn (Paperback - 20 Mar. 2014)