4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, but didn't find it as amazing as others have
Recently published in paperback in June, A Visit From The Goon Squad begged the question of me 'When is a novel, not a novel?" because it is a novel, and it isn't. It reminded me of a game of tag, or a relay race. The novel opens with a chapter focusing on Sasha, jumps from Sasha to her boss Bennie, then from Bennie to Rhea, who knew Lou through Jocelyn, then to Lou's...
Published on 30 April 2012 by R. A. Davison

3.0 out of 5 stars Original and creative but not for me
I'm not sure how to begin describing Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad to you, but I'll do my best! I'll start by saying that it's an original and imaginative novel which revolves around a large number of different characters, most of whom are involved in the music industry in some way (be it as musicians, producers, record label owners, publicists, or music...
Published on 24 July 2011 by Helen S

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to get into, but interesting, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: A Visit From the Goon Squad (Paperback)
A visit from the goon squad was a very difficult book to get into. The switch from one person talking to the next, chapter by chapter can be confusing and makes it hard to follow the plot. After percevearing it turned into an interesting read. It won't be one I rave about to my friends, but worth a read when on a holiday and you can dedicate some time to read it through and get into it.

1.0 out of 5 stars pffhh, 17 July 2013
no, just could not get into this book, would not recommend. Persevered because it was on my book club list, otherwise would not have bothered finishing it and that does not often happen for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately disappointing, 15 Aug. 2011
K. M. Long Esq (London) - See all my reviews
There is some very good writing here, but I ended up feeling that the whole was rather less than the sum of its parts. There is a lot to be said for a novel written from the point of view of different characters, and with a non-linear narrative, but I would hope for something more of a common thread than that the characters are all vaguely connected, and some logic to the ordering of episodes beyond apparent randomness. And the chapter written as a Powerpoint presentation strikes me as tricksiness for its own sake. In the end, this came over - to me at least - as rather more a collection of short stories, some of them extremely good, than the powerful novel I had expected from other people's reviews.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 24 Oct. 2011
This review is from: A Visit From the Goon Squad (Paperback)
Written fairly well but it just really never captivated me. It just left me feeling a bit empty and apathetic.

1.0 out of 5 stars I so badly want my money back., 6 Jun. 2011
Ms. Amanda A. Looby (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is just awful. I had the impression from the blurb that it was a inter-twining set of stories based around two characters but as other reviewers have pointed out, it is merely a collection of badly written short stories which have no plot or relation (other then names of other characters which you struggle to remember because they are so forgettable) to the other short stories. I spent a good while at the start of each story (Lets not pretend to bother calling them chapters) trying to figure out who the hell was supposed to be talking now. There is no order, no structure and nothing of any interest actually happened. The author is obviously trying to pass off a lazy writers block series as an intelligent, new method of writing and I suppose I have to give her kudos for kind of pulling that off but me, personally, I want my money back....

3.0 out of 5 stars Indoor Fireworks, 14 Sept. 2011
Frootle (Canterbury, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Visit From the Goon Squad (Paperback)
A good read, but just a little bit like indoor fireworks: clever, but ultimately a bit unfulfilling. A mean: a chapter where it all turns in to powerpoint presentations; need I say more? It didn't make me care enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, 23 Aug. 2011
This review is from: A Visit From the Goon Squad (Paperback)
Ok, I've been struggling through this book - it's easy to read, but it just doesn't flow for me. It's too frantic, and just doesn't do it for me - am I the only one that is having trouble with it? I'm almost at the end, and to be honest, it can't come soon enough!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your reading time with this book, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: A Visit From the Goon Squad (Paperback)
Whatever the prize may be for, book, painting, art etc, you can be sure that it is likely to have been selected by judges who like to think they are trendy and a cut above the reading or viewing public. Consequently, rubbish like Gormley's art works are allowed to defile the countryside, silly things like Emin's so called art fetch silly prices and dirty books by such authors as Hollinghurst are praised to the sky and my advice is if you see a prize winner approach with caution. So it is with this dreadful book of Jennifer Egan's, it is just so boring, the characters are totally forgettable and that silly business at the end well it defies belief. I usually send the books I have read to the charity shop, this one has gone to the tip.

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, 1 Sept. 2013
save your money - i don't know why anyone would bother writing this...just doesn't seem worth the effort....just bored me

1.0 out of 5 stars goon squad, 7 Dec. 2011
Y. FISH "suefish" (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Visit From the Goon Squad (Paperback)
I concluded that I was completely the wrong generation to read this book. For me it was irrelevant and boring. Yet it has had brilliant reviews.

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 | Next ›

A Visit From the Goon Squad
A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (Paperback - 9 Jun. 2011)