Format: HardcoverChange

on 26 April 2012
I was rather disappointed by this book. It was very amusing in a few places, but I got the impression the author had trawled the internet for a series of unrelated 'quite interesting' facts and then just thrown them together into a book.
on 10 August 2012
Given that this is obviously a book not to be taken seriously it was quite informative and laugh out loud entertaining in parts.
There were only two things that irked me - first, the abrupt ending (which seems to be common to just about every book these days) left me wanting some kind of overarching conclusion; and second the dissing of homeopathy, which anyone who uses it will tell you that for something that 'can't possibly work' it is nevertheless remarkably effective!
on 4 October 2011
The Gentleman's Instant Genius Guide adds another very welcome title to Tom Cutler's growing list of funny books. I spent part of my weekend dipping into it, laughing at his jokes - well, most of them - and the twist he puts on the world. And I learned facts I didn't know, or didn't know I needed to know - many of which are actually useful. (Can't wait to try my hand at mixing and drinking a good Manhattan or trying out some of his fifty ways of becoming important. And as for his 'History of False teeth from the Etruscans onwards' - there must be something in that I can put to good use. I like his style too. It's very relaxed and reader friendly - much more like he's just bought you a drink and got one elbow on the bar than slogging away at a keyboard amidst piles of research notes.
They say humour doesn't travel, but this guy's reputation is international - Amazon is listing his earlier work in three languages other than English - so buy him and you can laugh with the world! I hope his list of titles continues to grow. Meanwhile I'll enjoy this latest addition and hope there's even more to come.
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2014
And funny as well.
I'll be looking at his other books.
I think some of the other reviewers have had a sense of humor failure lol
on 20 December 2015
Excellent bought it for a friend (will be just up his street!!!)
on 6 September 2013
Wow! I have been reading this book in bits during my long days working outside with little to do, when things aren't busy. It has made my time a lot more enjoyable and endurable! First, this book is entertaining and sometimes very humorous indeed! It is also interesting and informative. You won't only be entertained. Some of the things actually teach you a little skill, technique, or knowledge that could actually be useful or helps to enrich in some way. Learn a magic trick, learn some useful way of thinking or living, gain some knowledge in a specialist area, expand your awareness and understanding of the world through many interesting and sometimes unusual topics. I really like the writing style, which is accurate and intelligent yet interesting and easygoing. It is also great that the book is made up of so many small and varied sections. You can read a little at a time or just keep reading and being entertained for a few hours. Even if you don't like to read too much at a time, this book is not at all a chore, but it also offers a lot for the reader who wants more from their reading. Some people could criticise this book for some of the reasons I praise it; perhaps saying it is too disjointed, unfocussed, light, or casual. In everything, it is a matter of taste, preference, expectations, and experience. I am half-way through this book now and it won't be long before I finish it at this rate. I have been thoroughly entertained and sometimes been suprisingly well educated in a wide variety of topics! I got this hardback book for the bargain price of £2.99 in The Works and am so glad I did. It's worth considerably more than that and I am glad to have this opportunity to read and experience it.
on 12 December 2015