5.0 out of 5 stars It really does work!
Published on 21 Dec. 2008 by Patience

3.0 out of 5 stars Now where did I put my glasses?
For anyone familiar with memory techniques, there are the old favourites, such as:
Number shape system
Number rhyme system
The Roman Room
Journey method.

Published on 2 Nov. 2009 by Sherlock

5.0 out of 5 stars It really does work!, 21 Dec. 2008
I was interested in learning how to remember phone numbers, shopping lists and putting names to faces - things I've always had trouble with. After a few hours of studying the techniques in this book those exercises are now child's play! I can't believe these techniques are not more widely known, because anybody can use them to remember just about any kind of information. I amazed myself by remembering a list of 80 random words after just a few minutes of study. The real test was the next morning...had the memory been embedded or would I have forgotten everything? but I can still remember the whole list accurately, without difficulty, and do it backwards too! I'm working on the Dominic System now and what's more, am enjoying it too. A great investment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Immediate Results, 4 Aug. 2012
Vagabond (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I've recently been transferred at work and, among dozens of things to remember from passwords to door codes to safe combinations, the names of some 300 members of staff. New instructions and procedures arrive by e-mail constantly. So, in desperation at my complete failure to cope with the simplist of names or numbers I went hunting for help and here I am. Time was I would be told a name and remember it straight away and forever more. I could drive a long and complicated route for the first time and be able to drive it in the future without any reference to maps. We can all tell similar stories. Now in my mid-forties my failing memory came to a head when I was waiting in a well-known tyre and exhaust centre recently and tried to recall my home telephone number as I knew I'd be asked it for my bill. I've had the number for 9 years and it ends in 100, which other than the area code means I only have to remember 3 digits. I could not recall the number for love nor money. Even more recently I was required to provide my car registration number and it occurred to me that I had no idea whatsoever what it might be other than the year in the middle of the plate. I eventually scribbled something down and when I later returned to my car saw that I was a couple of letters out and the first two were back to front. I've had the car 18 months.

I only started this book yesterday but am keen to write an early review owing to the immediate result. Opening the cover I went straight to the name section and managed to remember 7 of the 10 names to faces using the technique suggested. Several hours later I started the book proper. There are starter tests aimed for you to gauge your current level of recall, the second of which is a 20 digit number. 3 months after starting where I work I still have to look up 4 digit extension numbers that I use several times a day so an unfamiliar 20 digit number was not looking hopeful. I haven't got to the numbers section yet but applied, rightly or wrongly, a similar association method to those suggested in the name section. 3 minutes passed as recommended and I wrote down the number. I got all 20 in the correct order. 8 hours later after a busy day I tried again and scored a perfect 20 again. Another 3 hours passed and I gave the book to my wife and read the number aloud and yet again scored a perfect 20. This morning I tried one final time, as although it was now becoming familiar a night's sleep would usually do a good job at clearing any memory. Another perfect recall. At this rate I may, after nigh on twenty years, even remember my mobile number soon! Do I need to say more?

5.0 out of 5 stars Summed up in one, 6 July 2007
Chris (Selby, Nth Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Unlike all the other books by O'brien, this one has every single memory technique of his. It's odd this has received no reviews, clearly being the best book of the lot.

Every other one of O'Brien's books are very clearly the same material used over and over again. In short, memory is very subjective, so it is hard to objectively say if this book will be easy to use, simply that it did for me and and as a student has reduced things like revision massively in ease and time.

In other words, Dominic when he wants to be appears to be the best memory teacher there is, and being his best book, this should be the only one you need. However, I should warn, clearly to make up '52' he has included some truly awful ones (only a few) which he must have known no-one would try when writing (I am particularly thinking about the one about films).

3.0 out of 5 stars Now where did I put my glasses?, 2 Nov. 2009
Number shape system
Number rhyme system
The Roman Room
Journey method.

There are also some that are new to me, like the Body system,(where you associate up to ten items with parts of the body) and the Dominic System, which replaces numbers with letters which form the initials of famous people.
Mind Maps(devised by Tony Buzan), are also touched on.
As other reviewers have stated, some of the techniques are simply rehashes of others; but I can understand why in a series which needs 52 of them! I haven't seen the Major System mentioned, but the Dominic Technique, devised by the author, is very similar.
Some of the methods just seem plain daft, eg the Remembering Directions technique, in which you have to remember a fictitious journey in your head whilst associating it with the directions given you, perhaps hurriedly, by a local.
Books of this type, regrettably, don't tell you how to remember the everyday concerns regarding memory. Such as buying an anniversary card before it's too late, or where you put your keys. And avoiding the embarrassment of telling someone something you've already told them. Much more useful than remembering a pack of cards!
Oh, and avoiding the embarrassment of telling someone something you've already told them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginners guide, 14 Jun. 2009
D. O. Mahony (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If you want a quick, straight forward guide to improving memory, which is laid out plainly and really quick to pick up than this product is perfect for you. I bought my sister a copy and had it sent to Ireland for her I was so impressed by my improved powers of recollection.

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly the most useful book you will ever read!, 22 May 2008
I have to say i am extremely impressed with this book, unlike other memory books it summarises every essential memory technique into a quick, easy read manual, u may even say it cuts the crap and gets down to it! after doing some of the exercises i was literally like, "WOW"

aside from the advanced domonqiue technique which may take a few hours to complete (still working on it), the main bulk of the book can be read and the tasks completed within around 4 hours, like a previous reviewer said, some of the techniques are just re-itterated to make up numbers so there is 52 techniques to fill the year! but apart from that it is truely an awsome book.

it is insane how such a simple method can improve your memory so much in an instant. for example i learned and still remember the first 15 elements of the periodic table within about 2 minutes, and remembering 20 digit long numbers is a breeze...i am still working on the domonic technique and will be curious to see how large a numbers i can remember, as i was scoring nearly 100% every time with the tasks given.

Domonic O'Brien is a true master when it comes to memory training, and i only wish i had read this book before i went through the torture of college and University exams!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book does exactly what is says it will, 14 April 2009
K. White (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a simple read. It contains exactly what your looking for to improve your memory by an incredible measure, IF you put the time in to learn the techniques ! ! that doesn't mean they're complicated to learn. It explains the techniques concisely and clearly, not filled out with unnecassary text. There is a few processes repeated or modified to make the 52, but as a whole this is, or could be(not over dramaticaly !) a life changing book, ! ! !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and easy, 6 Oct. 2014
Works, I find learning Computer Science information a massive pain. But the systems in this little book can help you remember anything if you practice them daily. Wish I had this when I was at school 30 years ago, would have got A's all day long. Why schools don't use mnemonics I really don't get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 18 Jun. 2012
Qwerty3 (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
I first got this from the library to check it out. Then I decided to buy because I liked it, and, it works.

The book is divided up so you can easily do a little bit at a time. Allowing for others comments, I'm only up to session 11 but it has already had an impact. Part of this may be me taking a bit more interest, but the great thing about this book is it demonstrates to you what your memory is capable of if only you'd let it.

My memory for names has been awful. Using this book has helped immensely. I was at a meeting the other day, memorised the names of the three people we met and was able to say goodbye to them each in turn, by name, at the end. 6 months ago their names would have whizzed by me. Even if I'd made an effort to catch their names I would have forgotten by the end of the meeting. Now, I'm remembering people's names who I met 3 or 4 months ago.

Try it, use it, it does work.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review of Brilliant Memory, 15 Feb. 2011
A good short guide on memory techniques - a simple read that will give you some great tips for improving your memory.

How to Develop a Brilliant Memory Week by Week: 50 Proven Ways to Enhance Your Memory Skills